New Metrocards

Via Garibaldi 8

Recently bought one and saw that this one has ads on the front and the back and it feels a bit thicker too, so no more yellow card on the front with MetroCard printed. Mine has ads pertaining to the Gap on the front and back. How "fashionable". <_<

I almost feel like I went to Canal St. and bought a knock-off MetroCard... :lol: Thoughts?

The MC I have expires the end of this month... it's been a good year since I've had it....

I wonder if you can mail your card to the MTA & request that your usage history of said card be printed out....

for example: for today, mine would read:

10-2-2012 - B46 - 6:__am (don't know the exact times I got on)

10-2-2012 - BM1- 6:__am

10-2-2012 - M20 - 7:__ am

10-2-2012 - [1] [christopher st] - 1:_pm

10-2-2012 - M8 - 1:_pm

=====================================================

Anyway, point is, I'm gonna have to buy a new card soon....

Wonder if I'll get an Ed Hardy metrocard, or a "subway, eat fresh" metrocard - where you can get 20% off on any footlong sandwich.... lol.....

The MC I have expires the end of this month... it's been a good year since I've had it....

I wonder if you can mail your card to the MTA & request that your usage history of said card be printed out....

for example: for today, mine would read:

10-2-2012 - B46 - 6:__am (don't know the exact times I got on)

10-2-2012 - BM1- 6:__am

10-2-2012 - M20 - 7:__ am

10-2-2012 - [1] [christopher st] - 1:_pm

10-2-2012 - M8 - 1:_pm

=====================================================

Anyway, point is, I'm gonna have to buy a new card soon....

Wonder if I'll get an Ed Hardy metrocard, or a "subway, eat fresh" metrocard - where you can get 20% off on any footlong sandwich.... lol.....

if you have an easypay express card there is a login where you can see your usage data and tells you the balance on the card.

I of course left out the top part since that is the same...

They could of at LEAST mentioned "METROCARD" somewhere in the front. Not sure how the public will feel about this.

Tourist... forget about it.....

But then again, the Gold MetroCards should still be around...?!

They could of at LEAST mentioned "METROCARD" somewhere in the front. Not sure how the public will feel about this.

Tourist... forget about it.....

But then again, the Gold MetroCards should still be around...?!

I personally don't like them. I was under the impression that it would have that somewhere... I guess I'd better hold on to my old MetroCard once I use the monies left on it. What was funny was it took a bit to come out and then when I saw it, I said to myself WTH is this?!?!?!? Then I had to look closely and then remembered that they were doing this new ad program to generate more revenue. I wonder what the general riding public will think about them. It just doesn't feel official to me and it's also easier to get mixed up IMO since the old Metrocards stand out better.

I personally don't like them. I was under the impression that it would have that somewhere... I guess I'd better hold on to my old MetroCard once I use the monies left on it. What was funny was it took a bit to come out and then when I saw it, I said to myself WTH is this?!?!?!? Then I had to look closely and then remembered that they were doing this new ad program to generate more revenue. I wonder what the general riding public will think about them. It just doesn't feel official to me and it's also easier to get mixed up IMO since the old Metrocards stand out better.

See, I knew the Ad program was coming. I was expecting the ads to be placed in the back of the card, NOT all over. People will think these are like gift certificates, coupons or something. If these will replace the Gold Card (Hope not), then the (MTA) may just get into hot water.. Confusion...........

As for these being official, I'm not seeing anything on the net about it. The media (and also MTA) would usually unveil these before the public gets its hands on them. So I'm not sure.

See, I knew the Ad program was coming. I was expecting the ads to be placed in the back of the card, NOT all over. People will think these are like gift certificates, coupons or something. If these will replace the Gold Card (Hope not), then the (MTA) may just get into hot water.. Confusion...........

As for these being official, I'm not seeing anything on the net about it. The media (and also MTA) would usually unveil these before the public gets its hands on them. So I'm not sure.

No I knew they were going to put ads on the front too... They've had ads on the back for a while. It's just that since they were on the back no one paid attention to them and that's why it was a big deal to put them on the front. I just didn't think they would use the entire front for ads. That's just insane. That's why it was such a big deal to them because it's like "prime space" because instead of seeing (MTA) now you've got GAP... Ugh... I hate GAP too since if anything it will just make me want to get rid of the card faster. They should get ads with Bloomys or Saks on it. Now that would be a nice Metrocard. :lol:

FYI... This relates to B35's question a little bit...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/mta_announces_new_digital_feat.html#incart_river

Eurgh. How ugly.

I was just showing it to a colleague here in the office and she said the same thing... I also realized in comparing the new one with the old one that they took off the instructions as to how to actually use the card too, which is dumb because with all of the tourists that come here they have no clue of how to use the cards.

God that card looks 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% stupid. Whatever happened to MetroCard Gold? This looks like a magstripe discount card. At least add something that says MTA MetroCard. And quoting VG8, they should write under the magstripe Insert/Swipe This Way for the tourists.

Thanks for Pre-Warning Me before I also get so damn confused. I would probably be like ooookay, and go ask a Booth agent about what the heck is that piece of plastic. But, seems like I'll be making my way to Grand Central Station this week to just get a hold of one of these, looks stylish still!

Guest MTA Bus

Honestly, it's not that bad. Just put the MetroCard logo in the corner somewhere and you're good to go. I could get used to these.

I wouldn't have a problem with them, as long as they say Metrocard somewhere in the upper corners, for brand identification. in case anyone has forgotten Metrocard has become a symbolic brand of NYC. Also they're not using the space below the stripe for anything why not leave the arrows for swiping/dipping directions.

Also has anyone noticed that MC now have longer shelf lives (exp dates) I just had to swap out my MC for a new one and the new one is good until Mar 2014....My MC always lasted a little over a year may be 13 months max. Wonder if this has to do with the push to get people to refill rather than buy new.

Do the new Metrocards still say " Subject to applicable tariffs and conditions of use. " on top of the signature area. Because technically you are borrowing the cards from the MTA.

Yeah the part where the Serial ID# is etc. is all still the same. I didn't show that part because #1 it hasn't changed and #2 I don't want someone getting it off of my card when I haven't even started using it yet!

Archived