Apple announces updated Mac mini/new iMac.

ipadmini_0256_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The Verge - "Apple has just announced an updated version of its Mac mini with an Ivy Bridge processor, starting at $599. It's the first Mac mini update since mid-2011, when the optical drive was dropped. The cheapest model will include a 2.5Ghz dual-core i5 processor, with 4GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. Above that, there's also a $999 server version, which will incorporate a 2.3GHz quad-core i7 processor and two 1TB drives. Both models will be shipping today."

Source Link /// Read More - http://www.theverge....starting-at-599

ipadmini_0372_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

The Verge - "At Apple's event today in San Jose, California, the company refreshed most of its lineup of Mac computers, including the iMac, which Phil Schiller called the "flagship of the product line." The eighth model is insanely thin, though it's still unmistakably an iMac. "There's an entire computer in there," Phil Schiller said as he pointed to the iMac's tiny 5mm edge. Apple used a technique called friction stir welding to create the new machine, which it says has much less reflection than previous displays.

The new iMac comes in two sizes: 27 inches, with a 2560 x 1440 display, and 21.5 inches with a 1920 x 1080 screen. Both have 178-degree viewing angles, Schiller said — as you might expect from a device like this, the iMac's display is the star of the show. But there's still some computing power inside: Core i5 or i7 processors, up to 3TB of storage, and four USB 3.0 ports. It also has a new Apple Fusion Drive, a 128GB SSD and a 1TB or 3TB hard drive that are, as Schiller put it, "fused together with software." It's a single drive, with applications and OS stored on the SSD and documents on the spinning drive — it's not a new technology, certainly, but it's a clever way to pair the speed of an SSD with the capacity of a traditional drive."

Source Link /// Read More - http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3543902/apple-imac-thin-5mm

This is on Apple's Mac Desktop Line, for the Laptop Line, visit this thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/37782-apple-introduces-new-13-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display/

@Mac Mini: Good hardware specs for the small size, but I'm already in the middle of building a cheaper version under 3 inches tall and with a footprint just over a third of a sheet of letter-sized paper. For about $500, I'm getting this hardware inside:

• ASRock Z77E-ITX
  • Intel Core i3-3240 (Socket LGA1155, 3.40 GHz, 2 cores with HyperThreading, 3 MiB cache, 55 W)
  • Kingston ValueRAM KVR16N11S8K2/8 (240-Pin DIMM, DDR3 SDRAM, 8 GiB, PC3-12800)
  • Plextor M5S (2.5", 64 GB, SATA 6.0 Gb/s)

The motherboard also supports Intel Xeon, so I might even be able to use ECC RAM (a must for real servers) which the Mac Mini doesn't support.

As for the iMac, I don't think any home system builder can accomplish that easily, not to mention the fact that these kind of computers are exclusively built by large corporations with the cash to design and take these things to production.

@Mac Mini: Good hardware specs for the small size, but I'm already in the middle of building a cheaper version under 3 inches tall and with a footprint just over a third of a sheet of letter-sized paper. For about $500, I'm getting this hardware inside:

• ASRock Z77E-ITX

• Intel Core i3-3240 (Socket LGA1155, 3.40 GHz, 2 cores with HyperThreading, 3 MiB cache, 55 W)

• Kingston ValueRAM KVR16N11S8K2/8 (240-Pin DIMM, DDR3 SDRAM, 8 GiB, PC3-12800)

• Plextor M5S (2.5", 64 GB, SATA 6.0 Gb/s)

The motherboard also supports Intel Xeon, so I might even be able to use ECC RAM (a must for real servers) which the Mac Mini doesn't support.

As for the iMac, I don't think any home system builder can accomplish that easily, not to mention the fact that these kind of computers are exclusively built by large corporations with the cash to design and take these things to production.

All-in-one PCs are simply for space-saving design... But they lack the ability to customize besides your standard RAM upgrade...

• 1 month later...

iFixit will come up with a guide to upgrade stuff like they always do

I read something about this model having a welded case. Didn't sound promising, either way.

I like my iMac...all you need is a plunger to take it apart. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived