Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

And what if you need to travel from Nostrand Avenue to Lexington Avenue, or Eastern Parkway to 7th Avenue?

Here's a trackmap of Downtown Brooklyn. The (4) switches over to the express track between Atlantic & Nevins. There's a timed, cross-platform transfer at Nevins, with the (4) on the express track and the (2) on the local. If the (4) stops at Hoyt Street, it'll come in on the local, which means that you can't have a timed, cross-platform transfer, and everybody at the stops between Atlantic & Franklin has to add unnecessary time to their trip.

Whatever.....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, uh, well related to hurricane damage, anybody know how long the Absolute Block is going to be in effect on the Greenpoint tubes? It's better than nothing, but a pain. a big pain.

OH, also, not for nothing, I'm not sure if it's because of the culver G.O. that was an even bigger pain this weekend, but the (G) is back to running 4 car sets - and they're even still running R-46's. Not sure if they're going to be back to 8 once they're back to their full route Monday.

The 8-Car R-46's were great - where the (G) shares trackage with the (F) people automatically assume that it "must just be one of the older F trains" and hop on, only to scamper out frantically when they hear the P.A. announce (G).

They have the signals and stations lit up here in rockaway. Anyone have an eta on rockaway shuttle service? The Q22 NEEDS to be saved!

Btw...Wallyhorse.....

Stop. Please for the love of God just stop. I thought your rockaway/howard bch/aquaduct idea was insane.

Maybe if things go well, full service back on the (A) to/from the Rockaways will be back in January/Feb. instead of next March/April. The huge key will be the weather and if any snow/nor'teasters and severe cold temps will be an impact of rebuliding work or not?

I highly doubt that. As someone mentioned earlier, the Flats is indeed landfill. And the bridges-although concrete, sustained sufficient damage. I say march either way. I'm just waiting for rock pk/far rock service. This "two-fare zone" setup down here is a killer! The Q22 isn't free and its not accepting transfers (when signed as "B116 st" which most of them are). And forget about waiting for a roxbury bus. Its transit hell down here almost.

I highly doubt that. As someone mentioned earlier, the Flats is indeed landfill. And the bridges-although concrete, sustained sufficient damage. I say march either way. I'm just waiting for rock pk/far rock service. This "two-fare zone" setup down here is a killer! The Q22 isn't free and its not accepting transfers (when signed as "B116 st" which most of them are). And forget about waiting for a roxbury bus. Its transit hell down here almost.

You might be right Far Rock. If the upcoming winter is as bad as the 2010-'11 season(remember the infamous post X-mas Blizzard?)it wont help and could delay the rebuliding of the 'flats' and related bridge.

Also hopefully as part of the rebuliding the concrete is added to withstand up to a Cat. 4 Hurricane.

They have the signals and stations lit up here in rockaway. Anyone have an eta on rockaway shuttle service? The Q22 NEEDS to be saved!

Btw...Wallyhorse.....

Stop. Please for the love of God just stop. I thought your rockaway/howard bch/aquaduct idea was insane.

I heard by tomorrow with limited service and it will run in two sections, Rock Pk to B90th and B90th to Far Rock, Rockaway Pk tower basement got flooded and damaged alot of electrical stuff so the hammels Tower will handle everything for the time being and yeah I feel your pain when it comes to the two fare crap, i hope any B/O's aren't beeing a**holes overthere

I heard by tomorrow with limited service and it will run in two sections, Rock Pk to B90th and B90th to Far Rock, Rockaway Pk tower basement got flooded and damaged alot of electrical stuff so the hammels Tower will handle everything for the time being and yeah I feel your pain when it comes to the two fare crap, i hope any B/O's aren't beeing a**holes overthere

Tomorrow they will begin a 4am-1am fare-free service, branded as (H), from Far Rock to B90th. No service further west.

Just found out from a tweet from Greg Mocker about the shuttle train. But finding out its route and possibility of "Fare-free" is info I will only find out here. Love the forums. I guess that whole "8-car train" info may have been on point after all. If they're not running to rock pk they'll only need two trains. I guess ill be out with my tablet tomorrow taking pics. There's nothing else to do down here

Free H Shuttle to Provide Limited Subway Service in Rockaways

rockaway_sub.jpg

With the prospect of Rockaway Line service being disabled for the next several months due to the destructive force of Hurricane Sandy, the MTA took the unprecedented action of moving subway cars by flatbed truck onto the Rockaway Peninsula and setting up a temporary shuttle service.

Beginning at 4 a.m., Tuesday, November 20, the fare free H Shuttle will run between the Far Rockaway-Mott Ave. station and Beach 90th Street making all intermediate stops. Service will operate on both tracks between Far Rockaway and Hammels Wye, and then on a single track into and out of the Beach 90th St. station. The rarely used Hammels Wye is the point where a single track connects the Rockaway Line where it divides to serve Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway.

Four car trains will operate every 15 minutes, between 4 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. from Far Rockaway and between 4:30 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. from Beach 90th Street. As a reminder, the Howard Beach-Far Rockaway shuttle bus will continue to run 24/7.

More Info here: http://www.mta.info/...ries/?story=878

Foamers, take the (H) while you can

Seems like I conceded too soon. Four car trains. As always.

I for one have not seen the "H" since what, 1992? Ill be taking pics for sure! Its a total blast from the past. When I first moved down here, rockaway shuttles were the H and ran 4-car R32 sets. 20 yrs later, due to a destructive storm, its back for a limited time.

I was 15 when it last ran.

I'm waiting for the moment someone suggests building a second track next to or over the current connecting track for the two Rockaway branches…

Lmao!! I think I know who too!

It certainly isn't needed. First, the 15-min headways they will run is the shortest HW I've ever seen in 20 yrs for service on the round robin track(that's what I call it. Lol) second, when Rock PK reopens, I expect that headway to increase to its traditional 20 mins.

With single track operation at B90th, I'm assuming trains will obviously use the BC-bound track since it doesn't require trains to cross over west of the Wye.

I'm really looking forward to visiting the Rockaways for 2013's summer. I think I should do so after school on Wednesday before Thanksgiving because I do want get a nice railfan window on the (H) with those R32s. I already got a beautiful railfan window with the R42s on the entire (C) route northbound from Euclid to 168th. Haven't gotten any railfan window on the (A) line in the Rockaways nor the entirety of it because of infrequency of the 14 R32 trains and even those 2 R42 trains that ran back there last summer while half of its R46s were on the (C) 100%. I only got a railfan window of the R32s on the express from Euclid to 125th northbound & 207th to Fulton southbound.

I'm waiting for the moment someone suggests building a second track next to or over the current connecting track for the two Rockaway branches…

Careful folks, speak of a devil and it will appear, so the proverb goes.

I for one have not seen the "H" since what, 1992? Ill be taking pics for sure! Its a total blast from the past. When I first moved down here, rockaway shuttles were the H and ran 4-car R32 sets. 20 yrs later, due to a destructive storm, its back for a limited time.

I was 15 when it last ran.

I'm still waiting for someone to call this action 'foaming'. :rolleyes:

Take good pics, though, it's a once in a life time chance.

Archived