what lines will benefit from well these?

qjtransitmaster

How fast can these buses go (on land and in water)? And how much do they cost?

In any case, if a line goes through flood-prone areas, it would help. If the bus otherwise runs like a normal bus, I don't see the harm in using it on a regular basis. (But then again, if an area is flooded, who's going to stand in a flooded area to wait for a bus?)

Anyway, I know what you're getting at. You're saying those buses should replace the SI ferry (by extending routes that end at St. George). If the buses aren't that expensive and they run faster than the ferry does, then sure, go for it. But if they don't go any faster than the ferry, then personally, I would just run fast ferries and run them more frequently than the current ferry.

In any case, if a line goes through flood-prone areas, it would help. If the bus otherwise runs like a normal bus, I don't see the harm in using it on a regular basis. (But then again, if an area is flooded, who's going to stand in a flooded area to wait for a bus?)

Anyway, I know what you're getting at. You're saying those buses should replace the SI ferry (by extending routes that end at St. George). If the buses aren't that expensive and they run faster than the ferry does, then sure, go for it. But if they don't go any faster than the ferry, then personally, I would just run fast ferries and run them more frequently than the current ferry.

Which brings up a new question, should the MTA takeover the Staten Island Ferry (like MBTA ferry in Boston)?

I am currently looking into that and once I finish my research I will tell you but so far some go 8 knots. Others that are faster I am looking for that. Another way would be to link upper manhattan with astoria vernon blvd example a bus like this can serve 86th or 96th street in manhattan and then go directly to roosevelt island. Example. Another is to go to vernon blvd and link with Q19 just like that without going to 125th street is another implementation. Others I haven't came up with yet. I heard that some companies will customize it for transit. So they may be able to get a speed upgrade allowing em to actually kill the SI ferry. However the current ones I know of are best with the others.

Those are pretty interesting actually, but here in NYC??? Not a chance.

I am questioning where they can go myself. College point to hunts point anyone? :lol:

I cant really see these on the on NYC routes...maybe only for emergencies...if subways to manhattan or bridges closed etc...use these to get across...

I see I guess I will have to give examples then Try this upper manhattan crosstown. If used on M86 select runs will be able to replace Q103 via the water instead of time consuming traffic hell on the FDR to RFK bridge. Reducing operating costs and increasing ridership greatly. Q102 will be able to get to upper manhattan like that instead of getting to the (F) then redbus. BX27 will be able to get to college point via water or BX6 to flushing using these types of buses. And yes they can be good for emergencies as well.

CMON people think outside the box way outside look at land mass and areas not near bridges and get creative in cutting travel time. And when faster models can be used it can kill ferries but only in short distance can they pull that off.

Greyhound would be able to link LI to NE with those badboys. Also MTA railroads would be able to kill the ossining ferry if the when that bus gets customized to become fast on water. Replace 3 vehicles with 1 concept. A PJ to waterbury via bridgeport intercity line can be made if those buses get fast enough. But I understand your reasoning.

Enjoy fishing that one back to land when it breaks down in the water

I'm glad others share this thought.

You do realize the Ferry crosses thru a busy waterway right? What happens when you have this boat bus vs a multi ton cargo ship? Why would I risk my life crossing from SI to Manhattan on these little boats compared to the current boats? Wouldn't it be simpler to have the ferries carry the buses instead?

About that...

Anyway, I could see this perhaps working a tourist shuttle, but not for regular service. I for one wouldn't want to ride a bus submerged in water daily.

Archived