•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    * * * * - 7 votes

The Schoolcar Experience

1487 replies to this topic

#1 mediccjh

mediccjh
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 740 posts
    • LocationFlicksville, PA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Today was the first day of Schoolcar. There are 40 T/Os and 20 C/Rs in the orientation class for the next couple of days, until we get split up at P.S. 248. All the C/Rs are going to the B Division; the T/Os got split down the middle. I chose B Division, since it's close to my in-laws.

We had 2 TSSs run the class; they are awesome. Very down to earth, and not afraid to tell the truth. They warned the class that Transit will take over your life; no weekends, holidays, family functions, etc. I've been dealing with that for 16 years, so it's not news to me.

They also warned about how intense Schoolcar is, and that the job is not meant for everyone. That being said, they told us to take advantage of tutoring if needed, and to always ask questions.

Feels like I'm in Paramedic Class again, to be honest. Then again, my hunger to be a Train Operator exceeds what my hunger was to be a Paramedic, so the motivation is there. I am going in with the 'I know nothing, please teach me everything, for my brain is a sponge' mentality.

Most of us got our Photo IDs and Employee Metrocards. We also filled out the emergency contact info, and got to watch a video about Substance Abuse.

Lots of questions asked by others in the class; some of them multiple times. The TSSs have more patience than I do.

364 days until the end of Probation.
    "I don't want to go back to the boo-boo box!!!!!!"

God bless the ghetto.

Posted Image

#2 Justin08

Justin08
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 348 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

nice post Medicc keep us in the loop of your schoolcar exp and gl to you guys

#3 elantra06

elantra06
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 218 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hey mediccjh I think I was sitting in the row across from you today. Were you the one that mentioned about being the paramedic? I really had a good laugh when they annouced that the entire conductor class was being sent to the B division. Some of those faces were priceless. I was so happy when nearly all the train operators said the were from Brooklyn/Queens. I knew then I was gonna get what I wanted.

B-) The A division :D

Mediccjh is also right about the TSS's we had today. They both were very knowledgeable and professional. Everything that RTOman and Pelham Bay Dave have said on this forums about the job are 100% truth. This title is no joke. Thier is no room for error. You must know your job 100%.

Edited by elantra06, 12 November 2012 - 08:32 PM.

#4 mediccjh

mediccjh
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 740 posts
    • LocationFlicksville, PA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hey mediccjh I think I was sitting in the row across from you today. Were you the one that mentioned about being the paramedic? I really had a good laugh when they annouced that the entire conductor class was being sent to the B division. Some of those faces were priceless. I was so happy when nearly all the train operators said the were from Brooklyn/Queens. I knew then I was gonna get what I wanted.

B-) The A division :D

Mediccjh is also right about the TSS's we had today. They both were very knowledgeable and professional. Everything that RTOman and Pelham Bay Dave have said on this forums about the job are 100% truth. This title is no joke. Thier is no room for error. You must know your job 100%.

TSS: Do we have any street pharmacists in here?
    Me: Do Paramedics count?

Yes, some of those faces were priceless. I don't care where they put me (I got to choose though); I want the job.
    "I don't want to go back to the boo-boo box!!!!!!"

God bless the ghetto.

Posted Image

#5 Donald

Donald
    • Banned
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:07 AM

Don't worry. School car is not that bad. Before you know it, you will be posting on all the lines.
    This is a Burnside Avenue bound (4) Express train. The next stop is 167 St.

#6 RTOMan

RTOMan
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,261 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Its Intense But still you Folks can and will have some fun trust me on this! Get to know each other people your classmates can be the backbone of your time down here. Things can open up so to speak in time you will see what i mean by this.

P.S Stay away from the foamers and Know It Alls! After a while you may "see" it start to show...

RTO Labor Relations CURES that real quick!

Edited by RTOMan, 13 November 2012 - 09:18 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 dagenius69

dagenius69
    • Pip
    • 123 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

So I guess today was the real orientation. A lot of information in a short amount of time. Tomorrow should be fun, I think we get measured for our uniform.

#8 Snowblock

Snowblock
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,717 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

The fun doesn't start until the second week, when you finally divide into your classes and get into the yards. Week 1 is all orientation stuff, but pay attention since a lot of it will appear on your final exam in another couple months!

#9 Justin08

Justin08
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 348 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Its Intense But still you Folks can and will have some fun trust me on this! Get to know each other people your classmates can be the backbone of your time down here. Things can open up so to speak in time you will see what i mean by this.

P.S Stay away from the foamers and Know It Alls! After a while you may "see" it start to show...

RTO Labor Relations CURES that real quick!

Edited by Justin08, 13 November 2012 - 07:06 PM.

#10 Justin08

Justin08
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 348 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

Man this reply w quote is tuff...anyway thats epic RTO MAN foamers..I remember a post that NASCAR made awhile back when he 1st came out..he had a kid come up talkn trains and procedure like a champ and was in full blown MTA uni w a radio and NASCAR was like is that kid rci and his tss was like hes not even a employee lmaoo

Legal Disclaimer: The NYC Transit Forums website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes.
    This website is no way connected or affiliated with the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) or any other related transportation agency.
    It also claims no rights to the trademarks of MTA, NJT, Amtrak and any other listed transportation agency logo on this website.