The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

Another important lesson for everyone: for the conductors, there are some train operators who are always in a hurry to get through their trip. If you delay even slightly, they’ll push the door warning button. They’ll keep giving you two, not caring why you might be held up. If you have a legitimate issue., if you feel safety is at risk, remember, safety FIRST. 

I had one such operator recently. Someone was throwing things out of the train onto the platform. Ranging from empty food take out… TO A USED HYPODERMIC NEEDLE… yes, Oscar the grouch here was causing a bio-hazard.

I basically put it like this to them at the terminal…

You do YOUR job… and I’ll do mine. And my job is SAFETY.

for the new TOs, recognize that each individual station stop is a unique event. No two are the same. If it is taking your partner longer to close down, don’t automatically assume it’s laziness or incompetence and start being a jerk towards them. 

like today… I’m a little under the weather. I’m getting over a cold. I’m not going to be 110%. I might be having a sneezing fit back there. You’re where you need to be. You are getting paid. Rushing only results in mistakes.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Another important lesson for everyone: for the conductors, there are some train operators who are always in a hurry to get through their trip. If you delay even slightly, they’ll push the door warning button. They’ll keep giving you two, not caring why you might be held up. If you have a legitimate issue., if you feel safety is at risk, remember, safety FIRST. 

I had one such operator recently. Someone was throwing things out of the train onto the platform. Ranging from empty food take out… TO A USED HYPODERMIC NEEDLE… yes, Oscar the grouch here was causing a bio-hazard.

I basically put it like this to them at the terminal…

You do YOUR job… and I’ll do mine. And my job is SAFETY.

for the new TOs, recognize that each individual station stop is a unique event. No two are the same. If it is taking your partner longer to close down, don’t automatically assume it’s laziness or incompetence and start being a jerk towards them. 

like today… I’m a little under the weather. I’m getting over a cold. I’m not going to be 110%. I might be having a sneezing fit back there. You’re where you need to be. You are getting paid. Rushing only results in mistakes.

Well said i always told my partner " we a team" that's how it works..

Some of our coworkers dont know how to work well with others and that's a fact.

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Well said i always told my partner " we a team" that's how it works..

Some of our coworkers dont know how to work well with others and that's a fact.

That’s why my C/R and I were together for 14 years.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Considering the one numb nut who made the news… we are always supposed to swipe ourselves in through the turnstiles with our passes.

There's just got to be more to this story..

Has to be....

Cant see one of us just doing something that stupid...

58 minutes ago, RTOMan said:

There's just got to be more to this story..

Has to be....

Cant see one of us just doing something that stupid...

Do not, and I mean DO NOT underestimate the stupidity of some of our colleagues. Some of our guys on the MNR side of things have chips on their shoulders and forget that their badges and metro card passes are basically free rides. 

43 minutes ago, AfroG97 said:

Do not, and I mean DO NOT underestimate the stupidity of some of our colleagues

I mean… have you met the human race… there are people who have absolute meltdowns over the personal lives of total strangers… common sense doesn’t exist anymore.

common sense says “tell them you’re an employee when they try to stop you.”

common sense says “show them your pass”

common sense says “DON’T HIT OTHER PEOPLE! COP OR NOT, KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF!”

Then again it’s amazing the number of people who have asked me to let them through the gate and can’t process “I am not a station agent. I do not have the authority to let you in.”

Here’s a lesson I want the new people to learn. When you’re on probation, be careful of everything you do ESPECIALLY with the lateness and absences. I called out sick a little too many times. My probation was supposed to end next week and this past Monday I was summoned to 130 Livingston street. I’m still lucky though. Two of the times I called out sick was forgiven but not the other ones. If I had missed one more day, I would have been extended for three extra months. I got only a two week extension. When you’re a few weeks away from the end of your probation, they look you up. When they see you’ve been late, absent, incidents of any sort, etc… they will summon you there and have a little interview about it. So in conclusion just be careful with everything especially time and attendance. Time and attendance is the number one reason a lot of probationaries get terminated.

To build on what Goliver said… this isn’t a job…

this is a career. This is a responsibility you NEED TO TAKE SERIOUSLY. 

Over the course of my probation… I was NEVER late. Not once. I only called out sick once, and that was for Covid, which is, or at least was at the time, off in its own little corner of the rules.

Unless something had gone wrong, I was always 15 minutes early for my reporting time. Some times even earlier.

Partly because I knew where I was going… a few of my classmates eventually got lost. One went to Ditmas instead of Ditmars. Another went to the wrong Bay Parkway. Told they had a Delta job… went to Bay Parkway Sea Beach.

On 4/6/2024 at 4:52 AM, Kamen Rider said:

Over the course of my probation… I was NEVER late. Not once. I only called out sick once, and that was for Covid, which is, or at least was at the time, off in its own little corner of the rules.

Unless something had gone wrong, I was always 15 minutes early for my reporting time. Some times even earlier.

Partly because I knew where I was going… a few of my classmates eventually got lost. One went to Ditmas instead of Ditmars. Another went to the wrong Bay Parkway. Told they had a Delta job… went to Bay Parkway Sea Beach.

Still can't believe that happened lol 

Posted (edited)

My classmate looked at the absentee sheet sometime last year and saw her last name and first initial. She report to said location to realize that there’s ANOTHER person with the same last name and first initial. She ended up reporting to the wrong location. So another advice I have for everyone is always look at your pass number on the absentee sheet to make sure. You’ll never know when someone else can have the same name as you. 

Edited by goliver28

Oh yes be very careful about booking off that's the one thing as was said they look at a lot while on probation...

Let me tell yall  SICK CONTROL is no Joke try to stay off that chit....

There's folks down here not even five years in title on Sick Control..

These folks dont care about our personal lives so adjust accordingly, if one wants to stay for the long run then there's things one has to deal with...

Things are changing in this state they will get this workforce up to their numbers...

One way or another...

Going by what i see online and in person with some of these folks, they dont..

Got Attitudes act like they doing transit a favor mad because they on WAA and are asked to do a relay...

New flash  we are replaceable pass numbers they'll clip one and use that pass number for the next one they hire.

7 hours ago, RTOMan said:

Going by what i see online and in person with some of these folks, they dont..

Got Attitudes act like they doing transit a favor mad because they on WAA and are asked to do a relay...

New flash  we are replaceable pass numbers they'll clip one and use that pass number for the next one they hire.

I can remember changing signs on the platform at Dyre with my C/R countless times because the T/D couldn’t find the C/Rs who were supposed to be on WAA. He actually picked the job at East 180th Street where he wasn’t responsible for the folks who put his job on the line. The sad part is that these people are supposed to be responsible adults. You and Kamen Rider know what I mean. Carry on.

19 hours ago, goliver28 said:

My classmate looked at the absentee sheet sometime last year and saw her last name and first initial. She report to said location to realize that there’s ANOTHER person with the same last name and first initial. She ended up reporting to the wrong location. So another advice I have for everyone is always look at your pass number on the absentee sheet to make sure. You’ll never know when someone else can have the same name as you. 

Lol happened to me when I first came out. Two different people with my initial and first name down here. 

I think we ether need to rename this thread or spin off a new one for sharing our road based pearls of wisdom beyond Schoolcar.

like, for example, just because you are running on the express track during a GO… don’t expect to actually go faster. You will probably be crawling along at 10MPH past more yellow lights than you can count. “Express” just means “I’m not stopping”. 

16 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I think we ether need to rename this thread or spin off a new one for sharing our road based pearls of wisdom beyond Schoolcar.

like, for example, just because you are running on the express track during a GO… don’t expect to actually go faster. You will probably be crawling along at 10MPH past more yellow lights than you can count. “Express” just means “I’m not stopping”. 

Back in those ancient days we were taught that in the subway express meant that you made fewer stops than the locals. 

On 4/14/2024 at 2:48 AM, Kamen Rider said:

CBTC work Zones are the Absolute Truth! 

Mess around with those good way to lose those Handles.