R143's not looking good.

jimbob60

I rode the L train on Sunday evening for the first time in sometime and was sorry to see how poorly the interior of the nearly empty R143 car (81XX) looked. Most of the metal strips around the door wells had scratchiti and the floor was ripping in several spots. I realize all of the first of the NTT's (R142's, R142A's and R143's) are now more than 10 years old with the exception of the last 80 R142A's and perhaps some 1200 R142's, but I find the R142A's and especially the R142's - love my Bombardier trains - appear to be in much better condition than the R143's. Coney Island R160 Kawasaki cars - about 6 years newer at 5 years of age on average - are in top shape on the N and Q lines. Is there a program planned for the R142-3 cars as they have passed double digits to maintain the appearance of the interiors. The R143 on Sunday brought back memories of when I first strated riding the subway in the early/mid 70's and the various R30's - then some 10 years old - looked pretty bad. I thought the 70's were a thing of the past for the MTA. Does ENY do a poor job of maintaining equipment? As a regular rider of the Queens Blvd line, I find the interiors of the E R160's look much better than the interiors of the M R160's. Granted the E R160's are some 1 1/2 years or so newer on average (aside from 9943-9974) but the difference is notable. The only thing I will see for ENY R160's is that the exteriors appear to be cleaned more frequently than Jamaica R160's

the interior of the R142s on the (5) are still pretty nice...

This is a harsh reality of NYC, that odds are the interior of a transit vehicle will look like crap after a certain amount of time.

the interior of the R142s on the (5) are still pretty nice...

This is a harsh reality of NYC, that odds are the interior of a transit vehicle will look like crap after a certain amount of time.

Not counting the R188 program, I doubt that any of the NTTs will see an overhaul until the early-mid 2020s.

I rode the L train on Sunday evening for the first time in sometime and was sorry to see how poorly the interior of the nearly empty R143 car (81XX) looked. Most of the metal strips around the door wells had scratchiti and the floor was ripping in several spots. I realize all of the first of the NTT's (R142's, R142A's and R143's) are now more than 10 years old with the exception of the last 80 R142A's and perhaps some 1200 R142's, but I find the R142A's and especially the R142's - love my Bombardier trains - appear to be in much better condition than the R143's. Coney Island R160 Kawasaki cars - about 6 years newer at 5 years of age on average - are in top shape on the N and Q lines. Is there a program planned for the R142-3 cars as they have passed double digits to maintain the appearance of the interiors. The R143 on Sunday brought back memories of when I first strated riding the subway in the early/mid 70's and the various R30's - then some 10 years old - looked pretty bad. I thought the 70's were a thing of the past for the MTA. Does ENY do a poor job of maintaining equipment? As a regular rider of the Queens Blvd line, I find the interiors of the E R160's look much better than the interiors of the M R160's. Granted the E R160's are some 1 1/2 years or so newer on average (aside from 9943-9974) but the difference is notable. The only thing I will see for ENY R160's is that the exteriors appear to be cleaned more frequently than Jamaica R160's

the (E)'s R160's have the dirtiest interiors out off all the R160's, I see the (E) everyday, the (E) was always dirty even when it ran R32's

I'm not surprised with 10 years in service in this busy city. If it were clean, like out of the factory clean, then I'd be surprised.

Pity we don't have harsh Singapore type laws where any forms of vandalism is met with equally harsh punishments. To some people a fine is nothing. To others, they don't give a damn. If the punishment is harsh enough with strict enforcement, I'm sure the cars will stay at least a little more clean/less damaged.

Not counting the R188 program, I doubt that any of the NTTs will see an overhaul until the early-mid 2020s.

The NTT's will not overhaul as they reach 35 years with out an over haul, by then they will have the ability to Retire, maybe an SMS to keep it it going but thats about it.

I take the (L) and the (M) nearly everyday 5-6 days outta' 7 , anyways  I can easily say there is a few (L) trains that are messed up interior wise Graffiti and Scratchitti I'd say I personally think 3-5 of the trains are major and some R143's got severe screeching problems already.

I totally agree with CDTA, that had to bee a rare incident. L is one of the trains i happen to ride almost everyday and i dont see that much of damages inside. sometimes its pretty dirt inside that is bcoz they cut the amount  of CTAs in the 8th ave station. .................... and Dont blame it on the ENY shop. there is a limit on the stuffs what a shop can maintain (especially when the interior equipment is really damaged) those damages has to go to over haul.

The last time that i was on the (L) was in 2011-2012 and it was pretty clean

lol... You shouldn't really be all that surprised... Some of the ghetto areas that some of these lines pass through... Could be even worse... Smh  <_< I heard that the (6) for example is usually pretty dirty up in the Bronx... Chicken bones all over the place.  Sadly enough the (6) has gotten worse in terms of cleanliness... Doesn't help to see homeless folks all over the place either... Considering that below 96th street you've got all of the tourists and such about they should really try to keep it cleaner.  

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Grand Concourse" data-cid="630347" data-time="1357746338"><p>

As I said, not going to deter them much. Needs to be much harsher, I'm talking physical punishment tough. That will get the message out better.</p></blockquote>

Hey while we're at it, why don't we replace the rubber molding between the doors with razor sharp steel blades. A few people will lose a hand here and there, but the severed limb would serve as a reminder to those who had to ride with it not to hold the doors.

A few months of this and the door holding problem is over! This is only a modest proposal.

Hey while we're at it, why don't we replace the rubber molding between the doors with razor sharp steel blades. A few people will lose a hand here and there, but the severed limb would serve as a reminder to those who had to ride with it not to hold the doors.

A few months of this and the door holding problem is over! This is only a modest proposal.

There certainly needs to be harsher punishments... I get sick of people using the buses and subways as their personal trash can.  Some jerk got on the express bus this morning, sipping his damn coffee... Gets off and little did I realize that he left the cup on the floor.  He did it in a way so that I couldn't see it originally, but if I catch him again I'm going to say something because I've seen him before and he isn't a regular.  He's not coming on our bus making a mess like that. Felt like taking that cup and throwing it at him.  Figures he got on in the Bronx... Doesn't say much about the class he has or rather lack of it.

A little to harsh, don't you think so.

Not harsh enough, IMO. What gives anyone the right to damage other's property? Paying $2.50 doesn't make it YOUR train to vandalize any more than paying $2.50 gives you the right to hold the train doors until all your friends finish climbing over the turnstile.

Archived