•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

Losses Lowest Since 1975

• Please log in to reply
    31 replies to this topic

#1 DJ MC

DJ MC
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,602 posts
    • LocationFrom Springfield

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

[float=left]amtrak operating loss--643558353_v2.grid-6x2.jpg [/float]Amtrak's fiscal 2012 operating loss was the lowest in nearly 38 years, which is a sign of progress, Joseph Boardman, the railroad's president and CEO, said Thursday. The $361 million loss for the year ending Sept. 30 was down 19 percent from the previous year. The last time Amtrak losses were less was 1975.

In a conference call with reporters, Boardman also laid out an agenda for this year that includes delivery of the first of 70 new electric locomotives and 130 long-distance passenger cars, expansion of the Acela Express high-speed service in the Northeast with an additional New York-Washington round trip, and beginning the work necessary to acquire new high-speed trains.

Read more: Source

OUT OF SERVICE

#2 Quill Depot

Quill Depot
    • PipPipPip
    • 4,397 posts
    • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I don't know why Amtrak exists... they can never make money.

Station_Signs_71_QD.png
    Thanks to Harry

#3 RFC

RFC
    • Pip
    • 181 posts
    • LocationNY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

When will they start retiring the AEM-7's ? I wonder.... anyways I agree with Quill.

RFC Rail-Fan Central- Rail Line 8
    My YouTube Channel. http://www.youtube.c...e8?feature=mhee

#4 Turbo19

Turbo19
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 6,019 posts
    • LocationFive Borough Transit

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

They exist to provide regional public transit access, not to nessacarily turn a profit.

THE ENDING OF THE BEGINNING IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE ENDING OF THE BEGINNING.

#5 DJ MC

DJ MC
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,602 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Mission of Amtrak was and always has been to save passenger trains from dying out while doing their best to improve it.

OUT OF SERVICE

#6 Turbo19

Turbo19
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 6,019 posts
    • LocationFive Borough Transit

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Mission of Amtrak was and always has been to save passenger trains from dying out while doing their best to improve it.

Thank you!

THE ENDING OF THE BEGINNING IS ONLY THE BEGINNING OF THE ENDING OF THE BEGINNING.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,602 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

When will they start retiring the AEM-7's ? I wonder.... anyways I agree with Quill.

Well the engine coming in 2013 is testing. So I bet probably 2014? This will be for the DC AEM-7s. Then the ACs and finally all the HHP-8s.

Edited by DJ MC, 10 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

OUT OF SERVICE

#8 MTARegional Bus

MTARegional Bus
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,208 posts
    • LocationSouth Bronx NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

You think that private railroad company's would have done any better? they were dying like fly's before Amtrak was created. 

That's Why Republican hate trains, they rather built more roads for cars then trains. 

Edited by MTARegional Bus, 10 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,602 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

You think that private railroad company's would have done any better? they were dying like fly's before Amtrak was created. 

That's Why Republican hate trains, they rather built more roads for cars then trains. 

In fairness though Amtrak has lost more passenger trains under democratic administrations compared to Republican administrations. Carter and Clinton come to mind there. Amtrak itself was created by a Republican president (Nixon).

Edited by DJ MC, 10 January 2013 - 06:18 PM.

OUT OF SERVICE

#10 MTARegional Bus

MTARegional Bus
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,208 posts
    • LocationSouth Bronx NY

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

In fairness though Amtrak has lost more passenger trains under democratic administrations compared to Republican administrations. Carter and Clinton come to mind there. Amtrak itself was created by a Republican president (Nixon).

True but keep in mind the Republican at that time was a good thing 

Legal Disclaimer: The NYC Transit Forums website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes.
    This website is no way connected or affiliated with the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) or any other related transportation agency.
    It also claims no rights to the trademarks of MTA, NJT, Amtrak and any other listed transportation agency logo on this website.