Which depots should be weekday only?

jgood6195

I'd beg to differ... I am really against that idea... The B/Os are regularly LATE out of Eastchester esp. of late.  Tonight the BxM6 apparently was MIA and the line stretched to something insane... BxM10 must've been late also... Eventually the BxM9 and BxM8 came... Those two are usually ontime though, but the BxM6 and BxM10 seem to be the most unreliable out of those 4 buses... The BxM7 runs okay but the high frequencies hide some of the lateness on that line.

Reliability esp. of late out of Yonkers has been very good, not that it was ever that terrible to begin with.  The only long waits I used to have was with the BxM18 for certain runs, but now that they have regulars on the line it has been much better.  I can literally set my phone to when those buses will arrive.  Bus Time has helped as well...

I have to say though... What in the hell is wrong with those BxM6 folks that they refuse to use the subway?? They waited over an hour tonight... They must really hate the idea of using the (6) train... My wait was maybe 5 - 6 minutes tops for my bus.... I had to chuckle... You would think they had high frequencies they way they show up for that bus... They really should learn how to read a schedule... You have HOURLY service!!

If I were those people, I would of not even waste my time and take the 6 train.

If I were those people, I would of not even waste my time and take the 6 train.

I'm serious though... I really think these folks have an agenda because their dedication to that line is unbelievable.  To waste an hour waiting for that bus and then almost another hour to get home.... Could've taken the train and been home already. The way I see it, if the (MTA) they would cut could that line because they have subway service right there.  The only reason that line is around is because those folks are clearly hell bent on using it.  It seems to show up whenever which may explain why they show up 20 mins early.  It's like a Staten Island version of the old X10, but now they can track the bus, so I really don't get why they wait like that.

I'm serious though... I really think these folks have an agenda because their dedication to that line is unbelievable.  To waste an hour waiting for that bus and then almost another hour to get home.... Could've taken the train and been home already. The way I see it, if the (MTA) they would cut could that line because they have subway service right there.  The only reason that line is around is because those folks are clearly hell bent on using it.  It seems to show up whenever which may explain why they show up 20 mins early.  It's like a Staten Island version of the old X10, but now they can track the bus, so I really don't get why they wait like that.

Hidden Transit fans? lol.

You advocating people take the filthy subway over the express bus? Lol! Someone must've hijacked your account. j/k

How about none of the depots.

Yeah what is the obsession with having depots open only during the week??  I mean do folks really think it would save any real money doing this nonsense?  With Staten Island it makes sense with Charleston because of the location and previous history of Yukon and Castleton, but Staten Island is a unique case that can't be applied across the board.

You advocating people take the filthy subway over the express bus? Lol! Someone must've hijacked your account. j/k

I just find it funny that an urban area clings to express bus service like that.  I mean if the express buses are screwed up I would not wait an hour when I have MetroNorth right there nearby.

I'm serious though... I really think these folks have an agenda because their dedication to that line is unbelievable. To waste an hour waiting for that bus and then almost another hour to get home.... Could've taken the train and been home already. The way I see it, if the (MTA) they would cut could that line because they have subway service right there. The only reason that line is around is because those folks are clearly hell bent on using it. It seems to show up whenever which may explain why they show up 20 mins early. It's like a Staten Island version of the old X10, but now they can track the bus, so I really don't get why they wait like that.
Well perhaps they're waiting early because they have nothing else to do or because it sporadically shows up either early, late, or a conbonation of both. Believe me, that used to phase me out too, but when you're dealing with hourly or near hourly frequncies, you're making every attempt to make sure you don't miss your trip, :lol:.

Hell, considering the bus routes near my home run every 70 minutes, on the rare occasion I miss my intended trip, I just wait for the next one because it would be pointless to walk home then walk back over.

Just my two cents.

I'd beg to differ... I am really against that idea... The B/Os are regularly LATE out of Eastchester esp. of late.  Tonight the BxM6 apparently was MIA and the line stretched to something insane... In other words, the bus that was due did not show and you had two bus loads of folks waiting at that stop because those idiots show up a good 20 minutes early for the next bus due... Smh BxM10 must've been late also... Eventually the BxM9 and BxM8 came... Those two are usually ontime though, but the BxM6 and BxM10 seem to be the most unreliable out of those 4 buses... The BxM7 runs okay but the high frequencies hide some of the lateness on that line.

Reliability esp. of late out of Yonkers has been very good, not that it was ever that terrible to begin with.  The only long waits I used to have was with the BxM18 for certain runs, but now that they have regulars on the line it has been much better.  I can literally set my phone to when those buses will arrive.  Bus Time has helped as well...

I have to say though... What in the hell is wrong with those BxM6 folks that they refuse to use the subway?? They waited over an hour tonight... They must really hate the idea of using the (6) train... My wait was maybe 5 - 6 minutes tops for my bus.... I had to chuckle... You would think they had high frequencies they way they show up for that bus... They really should learn how to read a schedule... You have HOURLY service!!

as JoelupFront would say, Cool story....

Except that wasn't something I was actually suggesting.....

As for BxM6 riders.... aye, if they'd rather wait the hour to be dropped in front of their house (well, apartment complex) rather than taking the (6) & [walking] or [waiting for the 4a or 22 (depending where they'd get off the subway at)] after the fact, I say let em have at it...... No different than the Riverdalians that take express buses to refrain from making their way to (1)'s to then have to be bothered w/ the headache over there on 231st/b'way w/ those crowds piling up waiting for & squeezing their way onto Bx7's or 10's......

As for BxM6 riders.... aye, if they'd rather wait the hour to be dropped in front of their house (well, apartment complex) rather than taking the (6) & [walking] or [waiting for the 4a or 22 (depending where they'd get off the subway at)] after the fact, I say let em have at it...... No different than the Riverdalians that take express buses to refrain from making their way to (1)'s to then have to be bothered w/ the headache over there on 231st/b'way w/ those crowds piling up waiting for & squeezing their way onto Bx7's or 10's......

So you're telling me that the trip via the BxM6 is shorter than the (6) say on average?  In Riverdale's case the commute can be an hour and a half without the express bus esp. since we don't have subways here, so the buses shave off a good hour depending on the time of day, etc.  They have a subway pretty close to where the BxM6 terminates which is what I find fascinating and the reliability seems to be pretty decent according to Jubai.  The run time is 55 minutes from end to end for the BxM6 according to the schedule excluding any traffic delays, but if you add in 20 minutes or more waiting that's almost double the time, so out of curiosity how long is the typical ride there to Parkchester, Bronx, from say 23rd street on the (6)?

As for your comments on Yonkers, please clarify what you meant.

Well perhaps they're waiting early because they have nothing else to do or because it sporadically shows up either early, late, or a conbonation of both. Believe me, that used to phase me out too, but when you're dealing with hourly or near hourly frequncies, you're making every attempt to make sure you don't miss your trip, :lol:.

Hell, considering the bus routes near my home run every 70 minutes, on the rare occasion I miss my intended trip, I just wait for the next one because it would be pointless to walk home then walk back over.

Just my two cents.

Oh believe me I do the same thing, but if there is a subway nearby and it isn't too much of a headache to take and I am pressed for time, I take the subway... The other thing I don't get about them is they're so loyal to that bus, but it seems to be the most unreliable out of all of those Eastchester express bus routes, which is odd to me.  I would think they would be pretty vocal about it being on time more.

No there's a time when practicality comes into play... I'm not advocating the subway at all, but let's be realistic now... I am not going to wait over an hour for a bus if I have a viable alternative nearby that doesn't further elongate my commute.  Now if my "alternative" involves a ton of transfers, then I can understand waiting for the express bus.  In my case my commutes would involve multiple transfers and since I don't have a subway nearby in most cases, I stick with the express bus, but other times I would use MetroNorth a taxi or if there is a subway nearby then sure the subway, if it isn't too much of a pain.

You see I'm an advocate for buses overall because they aren't always slow and actually can play a very important role in the overall scheme of things, which the (MTA) realizes and is trying to find ways to attract riders back to buses and so that's another reason why I would be against closing depots.  I want to see bus service grow and this nonsense about closing down depots could very well contract bus service and deter ridership.

So you're telling me that the trip via the BxM6 is shorter than the (6) say on average?  In Riverdale's case the commute can be an hour and a half without the express bus esp. since we don't have subways here, so the buses shave off a good hour depending on the time of day, etc.  They have a subway pretty close to where the BxM6 terminates which is what I find fascinating and the reliability seems to be pretty decent according to Jubai.  The run time is 55 minutes from end to end for the BxM6 according to the schedule excluding any traffic delays, but if you add in 20 minutes or more waiting that's almost double the time, so out of curiosity how long is the typical ride there to Parkchester, Bronx, from say 23rd street on the (6)?

As for your comments on Yonkers, please clarify what you meant.

- I was throwing it out there as a suggestion to whoever feels that certain depots should be closed..... I shrugged when I said that then & I'm shrugging over the fact you (or anyone else) might have thought that was a serious suggestion I was making.....

- Don't know if an average trip/commute on the BxM6 is shorter than the (6) b/c to be honest, I never compared the two commutes & really, I don't take the 6 to/from the bronx like that..... I was not implicating that anyway (about the Bxm6 being shorter) when I said "let em (the riders) have at it"..... Let people take whatever mode of transportation they want, was my point with that.....

Anyway, most off peak trips don't take almost an hour; there have been times I've taken BxM6's & got to hugh grant cir. (from 23rd) in 35-40 mins.... Usually don't ride up to met oval, but from hugh grant circle, it's less than 5 mins. so, yeah......

Most peak (PM) trips though are closer to that hour, so I would say that 55 mins. or w/e is factoring in highway traffic.....

Any other questions?

- I was throwing it out there as a suggestion to whoever feels that certain depots should be closed..... I shrugged when I said that then & I'm shrugging over the fact you (or anyone else) might have thought that was a serious suggestion I was making.....

- Don't know if an average trip/commute on the BxM6 is shorter than the (6) b/c to be honest, I never compared the two commutes & really, I don't take the 6 to/from the bronx like that..... I was not implicating that anyway (about the Bxm6 being shorter) when I said "let em (the riders) have at it"..... Let people take whatever mode of transportation they want, was my point with that.....

Anyway, most off peak trips don't take almost an hour; there have been times I've taken BxM6's & got to hugh grant cir. (from 23rd) in 35-40 mins.... Usually don't ride up to met oval, but from hugh grant circle, it's less than 5 mins. so, yeah......

Most peak (PM) trips though are closer to that hour, so I would say that 55 mins. or w/e is factoring in highway traffic.....

Any other questions?

Gotcha... Hmm interesting... So then provided that the BxM6 is on time and there isn't tons of traffic, it technically could be much faster than the (6).  Maybe this will get Shortline to stop calling for it to be cut. LOL  :lol: 

The only depots that really need to be closed are those comprised of mainly express bus routes that are weekdays only*. SC is never going back to 6 days a week with the B103 being so popular and of course FR being closed till it can reopen ...eventually.

*So there really is no point for this thread as it is overblowing the news about the one SI depot being weekdays only.

Personally, I'm not too fond of the idea of Charleston being weekday-only. I mean, if you're going to spend all that money to build it, you might as well get full use out of it. But I guess if it saves money, then I'll accept it. But I can't picture that being the case with too many other depots across the city, because Charleston only has/had 3 infrequent routes on the weekends.

Archived