•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

Train Conductor Exam

• Please log in to reply
    24 replies to this topic

#1 Curtispaul81

Curtispaul81
    • 21 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

I've always wanted to be a train conductor/operator it's even in my elementary school yearbook section of what do you want to be when you grow up. I hadn't researched when i was in H.S and didn't know that all i needed was a high school diploma. Does anybody know when the next exam will be?

#2 pjbr40

pjbr40
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

you need to keep an eye on dcas. take the test and they will call you depend on your score. they was hiring in 2011. so it can be 5 to 10 years from now. i was on that list but had to declined.

Posted Image

#3 RTOMan

RTOMan
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,245 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

you need to keep an eye on dcas. take the test and they will call you depend on your score. they was hiring in 2011. so it can be 5 to 10 years from now. i was on that list but had to declined.

DCAS dont control that anymore i believe, the MTA controls that Now the testing and everything. If what i was told is correct Open Competitive T/O test aren't coming back. Got to start as a CR then take a promo test.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 peacemak3r

peacemak3r
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,254 posts
    • LocationLittle Neck, NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Correct, anything MTA related is on MTA's employment page now and not on DCAS.

#5 TwoTimer

TwoTimer
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,123 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Look out for Metro North, SIR, or LIRR's tests as well, as they will come up occasionally.  The railroad's (except SIR) are both easier and harder to get into.  Easier because they opportunities come up more often than NYCT tests.  Harder because the process is longer and is more merit based than a test.  PATH is an option as well, you can go over and check the Port Authority website for info on that.  Please disregard this post if you really want to work in the subways of NYCT.

#6 Snowblock

Snowblock
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,715 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Be advised that for the next C/R exam, there is going to be a 2 years of professional customer service prerequisite. So if you're looking to take the next exam, be sure to find employment in the meantime that can be considered to have a customer service aspect.

#7 TwoTimer

TwoTimer
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,123 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Be advised that for the next C/R exam, there is going to be a 2 years of professional customer service prerequisite. So if you're looking to take the next exam, be sure to find employment in the meantime that can be considered to have a customer service aspect.

In other words, they are looking to cut down on the # of C/R's hired :D

#8 Curtispaul81

Curtispaul81
    • 21 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

DCAS dont control that anymore i believe, the MTA controls that Now the testing and everything. If what i was told is correct Open Competitive T/O test aren't coming back. Got to start as a CR then take a promo test.

Yeah i've been gathering information in the past few days and I've come across that same information about the OC T/O test not coming back.

#9 Curtispaul81

Curtispaul81
    • 21 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

I'm still trying to land my first real job haha. I've done stuff for summer youth & work study for my college. Both of them do not come close to a year. Would a job at a supermarket be a good start?

#10 RTOMan

RTOMan
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,245 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I'm still trying to land my first real job haha. I've done stuff for summer youth & work study for my college. Both of them do not come close to a year. Would a job at a supermarket be a good start?

Thats how i started in a supermarket! Yes i Listed that as well!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Legal Disclaimer: The NYC Transit Forums website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes.
    This website is no way connected or affiliated with the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) or any other related transportation agency.
    It also claims no rights to the trademarks of MTA, NJT, Amtrak and any other listed transportation agency logo on this website.