Like a BAT out of hell! (Brooklyn Army Terminal)

8thAveExpress

My job sent me to the Brooklyn Army Terminal to help with the end of year filing.  This is the third time they've sent me here, and let me tell you-  This place is HUGE!  I wanted to get a video or pictures of the South Brooklyn freight locomotive, but the tracks are under construction (I took a picture of the construction), so it's not running right now. I'm not too sure of the model of the train, just that it's from the 1910's, and it in “Building B,” ENJOY THE PICTURES!  

The Brooklyn Army Terminal is large complex of piers, docks, warehouses, cranes, rail sidings and cargo loading equipment on 95 acres between 58th and 63rd Street in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. During World War II, the terminal was responsible for shipment of 85% of army equipment and personnel overseas; 38,000,000 tons of supplies and over 3 million soldiers. The building was sold to New York City in 1981 and was then totally renovated. It is now leased and managed by the New York City Economic Development Corporation as a center for dozens of light manufacturing, warehousing and back-office businesses.

photo1iuk.jpg

photo2rxa.jpg

photo5osd.jpg

photo31sb.jpg

photo11jl.jpg

photo2copyt.jpg

photo4qt.jpg

photo3copyk.jpg

photo51rf.jpg

photo3ym.jpg

photo1copyi.jpg

photo41it.jpg

Whats the deal with those trains? And I think I read somewhere Elvis Presley had something to do with either that place or the train? Correct me if I'm wrong or just bugging.

I have a few pictures on my computer from 2 years ago of these trains, when they were silver with a blue stripe, like the MTA had with the older trains

I'd like to see that.

Whats the deal with those trains? And I think I read somewhere Elvis Presley had something to do with either that place or the train? Correct me if I'm wrong or just bugging.

I'd like to see that.

Yeah that's right!  When Elvis was shipped out, he was shipped out of BAT.  There used to be a crane attached to the ceiling, and it would load and unload military items off of the trains.  The model of the train is the LIRR P72

Here you go:

lOIEXWM.jpg

SWmf55F.jpg

MplHPZk.jpg

Archived