Welcome to the 2013 Major & Minor League Baseball Thread

alejr88

Here you can talk about transactions, who played and who didn't, minor league prospects on the verge of making it to the Majors (Wheeler for the Mets, Sanchez for the Yankees). It was yesterday that preseason baseball has started. Today both NY teams played their first game. The 2013 World Baseball Classic starts soon and you can discuss that as well. Just 37 days away from Opening Day 2013! April 1st 2013. (If you're not a Rangers/Astros fan).

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the Feliciano stuff, Curtis Granderson suffered a broken right forearm after getting hit by a J.A. Happ pitch. It turns out he'll be out for 10 weeks with a fractured right forearm, guess Brett Gardner got the CF job for now.

I think it makes more sense because it still remains to be seen if granderson stays when his contract expires. Cf was gardner's job and that's where he should've been from the start. As for the injury, this sucks, but I do hope the time spent rehabbing will force him to revert back to his first year here and not strikeout so much trying to hit homers. He's still pretty fast and should be using his speed to throw pitchers off balance in stealing bases.

And the Astros are going to be a punching bag for the AL West. Just watch them inflate their records and take the 2nd WC spot away from the AL east. I thought the everyday interleague thing was supposed to allow some sort of balance? Why do teams in their own division need to face each other so many times? Spread it out and play the other divisions a little more.

Yes it is. 2 at Yankee Stadium, 2 at Citi Field. Every team has a "natural rival" they face every year

Both subway series sets are now weekday evening affairs. Just to show how the appeal of the mets/yanks have dropped none of the games this year will be on Fox Saturday or ESPN Sunday Night national prime time matchups. Although they were officially "sell outs" there was for 1st time ever in last year or two, couple of small pocket of empty seats at both YS and Citifield.

In future for a 4 game set up it should be for 1 weekend (Thursday-Sunday)with 2 each at Citifield and the Stadium.

Yes it is. 2 at Yankee Stadium, 2 at Citi Field. Every team has a "natural rival" they face every year

Pity they moved the Astros to the AL West. At least if they were in the NL west, it'd be a Texas rivalry. I would've moved the Rockies or D'Backs instead. Either one of them barely have the history the Astros had and would not have been an issue to move. This move was so bs.

Pity they moved the Astros to the AL West. At least if they were in the NL west, it'd be a Texas rivalry. I would've moved the Rockies or D'Backs instead. Either one of them barely have the history the Astros had and would not have been an issue to move. This move was so bs.

This. I would've moved the Diamondbacks to the AL West since they haven't been in the league that long (1998) and you still would've had 2 teams in the NL West not based from California. Now you have 2 from California and 2 from Texas.

I agree 100%. Not to mention, Colorado and Arizona are the only two teams with a mountain time zone. (MST -7)

Yep, another good point. Those 2 would've been perfect "rivals". I'd still keep the Mariners and Padres since they are the most extreme ends of the West. So I guess with both Texas teams in the AL, they could pair them with Arizona and Colorado and at least keep them all in a closer time zone. Maybe Rockies-Astros and Rangers-Dbacks?

Yep, another good point. Those 2 would've been perfect "rivals". I'd still keep the Mariners and Padres since they are the most extreme ends of the West. So I guess with both Texas teams in the AL, they could pair them with Arizona and Colorado and at least keep them all in a closer time zone. Maybe Rockies-Astros and Rangers-Dbacks?

It's actually Texas-Colorado and Houston-Arizona. Add to that, the Mariners and Padres share a Spring Training complex in Peoria, Arizona

With Spring Trainning just getting underway, here are the odds of most Vegas/Bookmakers on who will win the 2013 world series.

Source: http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/mlb/2013-02-21/world-series-odds-2013-las-vegas-yankees-dodgers-red-sox-angels-tigers-giants

ODDS TO WIN 2013 MLB WORLD SERIES

ANGELS 6 / 1

TIGERS 7 / 1

DODGERS 7 / 1

GIANTS 8 / 1

NATIONALS 8 / 1

BLUE JAYS 10 / 1

YANKEES 12 / 1

REDS 12 / 1

BRAVES 13 / 1

PHILLIES 16 / 1

CARDINALS 16 / 1

ATHLETICS 20 / 1

RAYS 20 / 1

RANGERS 23 / 1

RED SOX 30 / 1

BREWERS 35 / 1

ORIOLES 40 / 1

WHITE SOX 40 / 1

D'BACKS 40 / 1

MARINERS 50 / 1

ROYALS 50 / 1

PIRATES 65 / 1

CUBS 70 / 1

TWINS 70 / 1

PADRES 80 / 1

INDIANS 80 / 1

METS 100 / 1

ROCKIES 125 / 1

MARLINS 300 / 1

ASTROS 300 / 1

I pretty sure it's because Pujols, Hamilton, and a few other folks I can't remember that's on the team currently...

They also have two more power hitters in Mark Trumbo and one of the best all-around players right now, sophomore Mike Trout.

Guest Charles

What about Morales, Wells, Kendrick and Aybar?

Respectively: Traded to Seattle, most expensive sack of sh!t ever, Kendrick's still there but I much preferred the Aybar-Izturis combo over Aybar-Kendrick, and yeah, Aybar's still there.

Oh well, doesn't matter what team they think has the best shot. I'll be surprised the Yankees just makes the playoffs. I think it's a good thing the big hr hitters are gone. They can't rely on the hrs forever, they need to manufacture runs the way every other teams do. And I think they should try and help Nunez get developed at ss and make jeter the main dh and late innings defensive replacement. Nunez's hitting is great, but he can't gain confidence if he keeps getting shifted around all over the place.

I'm not in the baseball "mode" yet, so I don't know what's goin on so far.... Well, outside of Granderson's injury or w/e.....

Lol about vernon wells.... not exactly sure when it happened, but he went from an all star caliber type player to over-the-hill almost overnight.... kind of like paul pierce with the celtics....

Oh well, doesn't matter what team they think has the best shot. I'll be surprised the Yankees just makes the playoffs. I think it's a good thing the big hr hitters are gone. They can't rely on the hrs forever, they need to manufacture runs the way every other teams do. And I think they should try and help Nunez get developed at ss and make jeter the main dh and late innings defensive replacement. Nunez's hitting is great, but he can't gain confidence if he keeps getting shifted around all over the place.

(as a yankee fan), You knew it was gonna eventually get to this point - it was simply a matter of when.

I still say they should've kept Russell Martin around, but then again, none of us could've predicted Swisher throwing the tantrum that he did, leading up to him leaving the team.... We lost a lot of HR production in the offseason.... All I gotta say at this juncture is, get used to seeing a shitload of sac' bunts & CS' (caught stealing's) this year... If that's the case, I won't be watching too many yankee games - even if they end up winning playing that way... That style of baseball bores the hell out of me.....

Archived