Conductor Schoolcar

Q33toLaGuardia

So I start training for Conductor on March 11th. I was wondering what should I expect to learn or get tested on while in training and how long is the training process.

I read the entire "The Schoolcar Experience" thread (which is very insightful. kudos to who started that thread) but the thread is following on a T/O training class. Is it similar to C/R training or completely different? Are we training with T/Os as well? Any help would be great so I know what to expect going in. Thanks!!! ^_^

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I start training for Conductor on March 11th. I was wondering what should I expect to learn or get tested on while in training and how long is the training process.

I read the entire "The Schoolcar Experience" thread (which is very insightful. kudos to who started that thread) but the thread is following on a T/O training class. Is it similar to C/R training or completely different? Are we training with T/Os as well? Any help would be great so I know what to expect going in. Thanks!!! ^_^

CR's train independently of TO's.

You'll learn basic MTA rules, policies, and procedures for starters:

The crux of your training will be:

-proper door operation

-signals, radio protocol, operating procedures

-equipment familiarization (circuit breakers, etc.) for the car classes in your division

-troubleshooting door related problems

-announcements and announcement policy

-responsibility for the train because YOU are the one in charge of the train, not the T/O

You'll also receive some training in some emergency procedures, from evacuating a train, to handling a smoke condition, to flagging a train from the front which is being operated from somewhere in the middle (other than head-end)

I've got a question. Do the conductors receive any training on operation? I mean, in case something happens to the T/O and the conductor has to bring the train to the next station.

CR's train independently of TO's.

You'll learn basic MTA rules, policies, and procedures for starters:

The crux of your training will be:

-proper door operation

-signals, radio protocol, operating procedures

-equipment familiarization (circuit breakers, etc.) for the car classes in your division

-troubleshooting door related problems

-announcements and announcement policy

-responsibility for the train because YOU are the one in charge of the train, not the T/O

You'll also receive some training in some emergency procedures, from evacuating a train, to handling a smoke condition, to flagging a train from the front which is being operated from somewhere in the middle (other than head-end)

Ok cool. How long is the actual training before you can go out on your own? Or is at the trainee's pace that they get the OK? Whats the timeline? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just real curious right now lol

Schoolcar is about 2 months long.  The first week is spent at 130 Livingston and the Learning Center which you can see if you are on the D train between 25 Avenue and Bay 50 Street.  During that week, you learn about benefits, vacations, and are issued your tools.  You also become track certified and have a track safety quiz.  You will either choose which division you will be in, or they will throw the whole group in one.  For the next 4 weeks, you will travel to various yards and learn what SubwayGuy mentioned.  After the yard practical, you will have 10 days of road posting (working a job [or part of one] with the regular conductor).  Posting is the best way to learn since you will experience what you will not encounter from being in a yard.  After posting you have a written final and the road practical and then you are on your own!

You're welcome.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start one from the C/R's point of view. 

You're welcome.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start one from the C/R's point of view. 

I was thinking about doing that honestly. Would be a great help to future C/R like ur thread has been to future T/Os like myself soon lol

Schoolcar is about 2 months long.  The first week is spent at 130 Livingston and the Learning Center which you can see if you are on the D train between 25 Avenue and Bay 50 Street.  During that week, you learn about benefits, vacations, and are issued your tools.  You also become track certified and have a track safety quiz.  You will either choose which division you will be in, or they will throw the whole group in one.  For the next 4 weeks, you will travel to various yards and learn what SubwayGuy mentioned.  After the yard practical, you will have 10 days of road posting (working a job [or part of one] with the regular conductor).  Posting is the best way to learn since you will experience what you will not encounter from being in a yard.  After posting you have a written final and the road practical and then you are on your own!

Awesome!! Thanks for the heads up PATCOman!!

Ok cool. How long is the actual training before you can go out on your own? Or is at the trainee's pace that they get the OK? Whats the timeline? Sorry for all the questions. I'm just real curious right now lol

A Division (subway lines 1 through 7): approx. 6 weeks

B Division (subway lines A through Z, and Rockaway Shuttle): approx. 8 weeks

Most people choose B Division. Statistically, most people live closer to a B-Div line than the A. The A is comprised mostly of people who live in the Bronx and upstate, as well as people who live in Long Island and are crazy enough to devote their whole week to the (7) (they'll talk shit about that line day in and out, but you'll never see them pick a different line....), while the B has better coverage of Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan (and now that there aren't any jobs that start out of South Ferry anymore, the handful of Staten Island employees are jumping to the (R) now), as well as the rest of Long Island commuters and people coming from New Jersey....and actually the majority of people who work the (B) and (D) are upstate commuters as opposed to Bronx natives.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm gonna start my experience here since its bears the topic I'm gonna talk about.

First day as a Conductor today. Recieved my Pass and went over basic stuff. It was mostly Conductors, Track Workers, Traffic Checkers, and Cleaners I think in today's orientation. Got to set up my 401k and health insurance as well. They also wrote on a board that RTO workers gotta report to near Coney Island at 6am on Wednesday. To think I was told 730am according to the green paper I was given when I sworn it. It's cool though. I'm still excited :-D

I think I'm gonna start my experience here since its bears the topic I'm gonna talk about.

First day as a Conductor today. Recieved my Pass and went over basic stuff. It was mostly Conductors, Track Workers, Traffic Checkers, and Cleaners I think in today's orientation. Got to set up my 401k and health insurance as well. They also wrote on a board that RTO workers gotta report to near Coney Island at 6am on Wednesday. To think I was told 730am according to the green paper I was given when I sworn it. It's cool though. I'm still excited :-D

Were you guys in the Gym at P.S. 248 today? 

The best piece of advice I can give you is LISTEN AND LEARN. This is more important than any other advice you can read on this forum because WE aren't the ones who are going to be testing or evaluating you. Your instructors are, so let them teach you their way, and forget about everything you learned (or thought you knew) on your own.

Yeah PS 248 is NYCT's school. You'll spend a good part of your training there. (D) to 25 Ave (NOT 25 St!) or (N) to 86 St and then it's a 5-10 min walk from either station, followed by 3 flights of stairs to the gym (there is usually a line for the elevator). DO NOT ever be late, ESPECIALLY on days when reporting to 248, because that place is crawling with supervision and management, the same people who you get sent back to if you get written up for something, and they are good at remembering faces. As soon as you meet your classmates, make a list of everyone's phone #'s so that you can keep in touch if anyone gets lost or is running late. We had one guy in my C/R class who refused to carry a cell phone, even though he was the one who always went missing.....and his career at NYCT turned out to be a pretty short one.

On the day that you'll be getting your tools (either Thursday or Friday), bring a duffle bag with you, or a small suitcase with wheels. A backpack will not suffice since you'll be getting about 20 lbs of books, along with a pile of tools. The real fun starts the second week, since you'll break off into your individual classes and start the hands-on learning. When I first started I was so anxious to get onto the train, but first you gotta get through the first week of HR & safety. Don't freak out when you see the Third Rail Jumper Cable video -- that's the one thing that always makes the new recruits start to second guess if this is what they really want to be doing for a living.

One other thing and you folks better get this.. WATCH and SEE that you are on that board!!!!!! There's major drama that went down last Saturday on that C line with a Probie conductor.. Don't think for a second one of us won't bang you in if you pop those doors outside the station on equipment that don't have enablers...

Second day. Went over more HR stuff then after lunch talked to TSS Morales (i think....im bad with names first time). We picked our pay pickup locations and he explained whats expected in Schoolcar. Got homework right off the bat. Then all 30 of us got split up into 3 classes and placed in B Division. Tomorrow we report to PS 248.

The best piece of advice I can give you is LISTEN AND LEARN. This is more important than any other advice you can read on this forum because WE aren't the ones who are going to be testing or evaluating you. Your instructors are, so let them teach you their way, and forget about everything you learned (or thought you knew) on your own.

Yeah PS 248 is NYCT's school. You'll spend a good part of your training there. (D) to 25 Ave (NOT 25 St!) or (N) to 86 St and then it's a 5-10 min walk from either station, followed by 3 flights of stairs to the gym (there is usually a line for the elevator). DO NOT ever be late, ESPECIALLY on days when reporting to 248, because that place is crawling with supervision and management, the same people who you get sent back to if you get written up for something, and they are good at remembering faces. As soon as you meet your classmates, make a list of everyone's phone #'s so that you can keep in touch if anyone gets lost or is running late. We had one guy in my C/R class who refused to carry a cell phone, even though he was the one who always went missing.....and his career at NYCT turned out to be a pretty short one.

On the day that you'll be getting your tools (either Thursday or Friday), bring a duffle bag with you, or a small suitcase with wheels. A backpack will not suffice since you'll be getting about 20 lbs of books, along with a pile of tools. The real fun starts the second week, since you'll break off into your individual classes and start the hands-on learning. When I first started I was so anxious to get onto the train, but first you gotta get through the first week of HR & safety. Don't freak out when you see the Third Rail Jumper Cable video -- that's the one thing that always makes the new recruits start to second guess if this is what they really want to be doing for a living.

I completely agree on that!!! I'm coming from a fed govt agency. You mess up and that's your head on a platter!!!

Second day. Went over more HR stuff then after lunch talked to TSS Morales (i think....im bad with names first time). We picked our pay pickup locations and he explained whats expected in Schoolcar. Got homework right off the bat. Then all 30 of us got split up into 3 classes and placed in B Division. Tomorrow we report to PS 248.

I completely agree on that!!! I'm coming from a fed govt agency. You mess up and that's your head on a platter!!!

Wow, I was really hoping to start this month but it's a good thing I didn't get placed in that class. I'd much rather be in the A div. Hoping I get a choice when called. Good luck :)

Looks like I might be seeing your class (and your two sibling classes) over the next couple of weeks. Pough, seems like EVERYONE is coming over to the B-Div (there are THREE more of my classmates who put in transfer papers, as well as this forum's favorite banned C/R), you might as well join us!

We had the same thing: Morales did my induction, there were about 30 of us split in 3 groups, and we were all thrown in the B division!  On the day you get your tools, you will also get your class schedule and know who your instructors are.

You can also take the N to Avenue U.

I am also in the B so I might run into you too!

Looks like I might be seeing your class (and your two sibling classes) over the next couple of weeks. Pough, seems like EVERYONE is coming over to the B-Div (there are THREE more of my classmates who put in transfer papers, as well as this forum's favorite banned C/R), you might as well join us!

Take him and keep him. The B would be rather tough for me since I lack wheels , my buses don't run all night, most of those terminals are damn far from me, and I know nothing of the letters. Plus they get re-routed over each other soooo much, I'll extra not know where i'm going.

Pough, seems like EVERYONE is coming over to the B-Div (there are THREE more of my classmates who put in transfer papers, as well as this forum's favorite banned C/R), you might as well join us!

They are WAITING for him hes gonna be roadkill if he tries any crap over there...

Archived