8920 in critical Condition

I rode this bus the other day, it may look horrible but the engine is pretty good. Its funny how they keep something like this in service meanwhile they retire RTSs from FB that Im pretty sure are up to LGA standards (or at least in better condition than 8920)... Anyways, nice photo!

Guest Charles

What I'd like to know is why Queens depots in general has such crappy maintenance?  Aside from Staten Island, I'd say Queens has the worst maintenance.

NYCT Queens depots as well as Baisley from MTAB are fairly consistent with their maintenance. LGA is pretty much the unanimous winner for worst maintenance, but all the MTAB depots today are leaps and bounds better than the PBL garages.

As for CP's MCIs, I've never had any problems with them, but then again, I haven't been on them in a long time (not since the 18xxs were still around). Their new local fleet's been holding up pretty nicely, though.

That's that LGA quality LOL

Lol

and just to be curious is maintaince still living up to triboro standards at lga?

Ask transit bx that.

I rode this bus the other day, it may look horrible but the engine is pretty good. Its funny how they keep something like this in service meanwhile they retire RTSs from FB that Im pretty sure are up to LGA standards (or at least in better condition than 8920)... Anyways, nice photo!

Thanks. Engine is good, however when it goes fast it really rocks the crap out of you.

NYCT Queens depots as well as Baisley from MTAB are fairly consistent with their maintenance. LGA is pretty much the unanimous winner for worst maintenance, but all the MTAB depots today are leaps and bounds better than the PBL garages.

As for CP's MCIs, I've never had any problems with them, but then again, I haven't been on them in a long time (not since the 18xxs were still around). Their new local fleet's been holding up pretty nicely, though.

Well just some of the signs have been acting up, and well that's probably the only problem. Last time I rode a CP (express) bus was on the QM5 the Friday that there was a free fare following hurricane sandy.

It's sad to see this bus in the state that it's in......LGA shall no longer get no more buses until they make some major changes

In other words, buy the property off GTJ REIT otherwise they can't really do much to help LGA's never ending troubles.

You do realize by LGA not getting more buses led to College Point loaning their Orion V CNG's (because about 30 buses were OOS when college point started loaning their buses, now about 10-15 still remain OOS however, still not a good sign)

Saw 8920 TODAY on the Q101, it looks worse than when I took that pic. The back is about to fall off any minute, engine a little rusty, and the face is still in the same way since I took the pic. Anyone wanna go catch it, you better go ASAP.

BTW Here's 9203 on the Q100

And here's the link to a much better less painful thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/40283-8920-in-critical-condition/

Note how the Back looks like its gonna open out.

IMG_20130330_151337_zpsd842f7ac.jpg

Saw 8920 TODAY on the Q101, it looks worse than when I took that pic. The back is about to fall off any minute, engine a little rusty, and the face is still in the same way since I took the pic. Anyone wanna go catch it, you better go ASAP.

BTW Here's 9203 on the Q100

And here's the link to a much better less painful thread: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/40283-8920-in-critical-condition/

Note how the Back looks like its gonna open out.

IMG_20130330_151337_zpsd842f7ac.jpg

Smh.....get those buses out of there before it's too late.....S.O.S.

You people are critical exaggerators if anything... I rode 8920 today, bus is totally solid. It needs some new paint, but a scarred bumper is a pretty minor issue, not like the frame itself is rusting or anything. Mechanically the engine is superb and the bus does an easy 45 and it seemed to have at least another 10-15 before the op I was with let off. Slight tranny slip, but that's all that's wrong. I'm fairly certain it's a program bus (with the new plates and all), which is why it runs so well. Just looks a little beat up, that's it.

You people are critical exaggerators if anything... I rode 8920 today, bus is totally solid. It needs some new paint, but a scarred bumper is a pretty minor issue, not like the frame itself is rusting or anything. Mechanically the engine is superb and the bus does an easy 45 and it seemed to have at least another 10-15 before the op I was with let off. Slight tranny slip, but that's all that's wrong. I'm fairly certain it's a program bus (with the new plates and all), which is why it runs so well. Just looks a little beat up, that's it.

Well I guess they fixed up the bus a bit. But probably they didn't fix up the paint job. How was the back.

Meant to hit +1 rep not -1 but to add on what you said, LGA keeps the engine covers slightly open to keep the engine from overheating. It may look like if it was falling down but LGA mechanics do that for that particular purpose for efficient engine cooling

How a 17 year old RTS looks like crap when there are 30 year old GM Fishbowls all over Canada in far better shape is beyond me.

Nice photo, just a shame the bus photographed looks so pitiful.

There's a HUGH difference between Canada and NYC as far as transid goes. From what I hear, most of Canada's public transportation does not run 24/7. Where as in NYC, a bus see's maybe 4 or 5 hours of downtime on 1 night, and may be running on "no sleep" the next. But still, it is an embarrassment to see a bus in service like that. It almost reminds me of some OA buses. I've seen buses from Gunhill rushed into service, right after the put all new panels on the rear of the bus. For those of you wondering why that is such a big deal, the panels for most buses come in primered gray. They don't paint the panels befor they put them on the bus. So there was a D60 driving around all day with a gray ass.

There's a HUGH difference between Canada and NYC as far as transid goes. From what I hear, most of Canada's public transportation does not run 24/7. Where as in NYC, a bus see's maybe 4 or 5 hours of downtime on 1 night, and may be running on "no sleep" the next. But still, it is an embarrassment to see a bus in service like that. It almost reminds me of some OA buses. I've seen buses from Gunhill rushed into service, right after the put all new panels on the rear of the bus. For those of you wondering why that is such a big deal, the panels for most buses come in primered gray. They don't paint the panels befor they put them on the bus. So there was a D60 driving around all day with a gray ass.

I see that a lot on SI buses, always looks a little ridiculous. Least it's not dangerous!

There's a HUGH difference between Canada and NYC as far as transid goes. From what I hear, most of Canada's public transportation does not run 24/7. Where as in NYC, a bus see's maybe 4 or 5 hours of downtime on 1 night, and may be running on "no sleep" the next.

While you are generally correct, Toronto does have 24/7 public transport and the Fishbowls were used heavily for many years on very demanding routes, including night. Those Fishbowls, retired in late 2011, were in better shape and when they were washed or repainted they looked like they were straight out of the factory.

Thank you. I rest my case....

• 3 months later...

Archived