MTA/MaBstoa bus mechanic

ramz28

hi all, i am in the process of getting a job with either of them. I took a MTA exam 2yrs ago and did the pre employment app today at 180 livingston(drug test). I also did a resume and practical exam with Mabstoa a few weeks ago. Didnt really realize they arnt the same till today. Either way i see alot of info on BO's but not alot on maintainers here. i work for a great job now with great pay i just HATE what i do and switching will be a really really heavy pay cut but im hoping i will enjoy the work. I heard the probation is 1yr, and training is 6month? Whats the training like for a mechanic? whats a day like? any tips?  also how long does the hiring process usualy take? a few friends told me that im pratically hired just dont f**k anything up. Any info greatly appreciated..

hi all, i am in the process of getting a job with either of them. I took a MTA exam 2yrs ago and did the pre employment app today at 180 livingston(drug test). I also did a resume and practical exam with Mabstoa a few weeks ago. Didnt really realize they arnt the same till today. Either way i see alot of info on BO's but not alot on maintainers here. i work for a great job now with great pay i just HATE what i do and switching will be a really really heavy pay cut but im hoping i will enjoy the work. I heard the probation is 1yr, and training is 6month? Whats the training like for a mechanic? whats a day like? any tips? also how long does the hiring process usualy take? a few friends told me that im pratically hired just dont f**k anything up. Any info greatly appreciated..

#1 working for MTA bus company and working for MaBSTOA are the same in some ways, and very different in others. Pay scale is different from depot to depot in MTA bus while in MaBSTOA, everyone starts at the same $29.37/hr and tops out at around $32/hr. Work rules are different between the 2 operating authorities as well. In MTAB, they usually end up doing more work because there's no union agreed time on jobs with them for the most part. Yes, probation lasts for 1 year, but training is only 10 weeks.

I came from working at a dealership just like most of the new hires that are coming in right now. Yes, there is potential to make more than $32/hr outside of the MTA, but there's not a lot of placesyou are going to get everything (pension, decent pay, 401k/457, paid vacation, accumulating paid sick days, union protection, free use of public transportation) all in 1. I know I will never go back to the dealership hustle, and most of the people I know here won't go back either.

Well its all done, I am now a employee of MTA bus. I start April 22, 7am at zerega for trainging. Then i go to College point depot. im part of twu 100. i heard this is a great union. i hope to see some of you guys at CP.

• 1 month later...

do they hire you for a mechanic position with felony convictions? I have 2 but i paid my dues already

will they hold it against me or only for bus operator or train conductor

any info will help

I got the interview on wednesday 5-22-13

do they hire you for a mechanic position with felony convictions? I have 2 but i paid my dues already

will they hold it against me or only for bus operator or train conductor

any info will help

I got the interview on wednesday 5-22-13

no. as long as you have held a good employment history since you have been out, they can not disqualify you for having a felony on your record. Although, I do believe that that rule does not apply if it is a violent felony you have on your record

• 1 year later...

Archived