Where do bus drivers go to the bathroom?

Gorgor

I don't know why but this thought just crossed my mind, and I can't think of an answer. 

Where do bus drivers go to the bathroom?  There are quite a few routes where both terminals are nowhere near subway stations, transit hubs, or even businesses or a Starbucks.  What do these drivers do?  I've never seen a bus driver leave a bus unattended and walk a few blocks to the nearest public (or rather semi-public as in a Starbucks) bathroom.

I am actually so curious now.

Most restaurants, bars let any bus operators used restroom, including MTA, Chinatown, Sightseeing Tour Buses, NICE, and Bee-Line bus operators.

Some MTA drivers use MTA Employee restroom in Subway Station such as M4/M98 used 190th St Staff Only restroom; Cloisters Museum.

In Cafe near 2 Stone St, both MTA drivers, and tour bus operators sometimes use restroom, but M5, M15, and M20 bus operators mostly in Staten Island Ferry Terminal.

I have seen experienced NICE drivers used some of Chinese restraunt's restroom.

I have been on M60 bus that male driver took restroom break at Marine Air Terminal when it was under MHV control.

I think all bus operators are different and they all use different place to use restroom.

Sometimes:
Fast Food

Dinner

Restaurant

Deli (Some Stores let them use restrom)

Shops

Playground

Museum

Public College

I've actually do see a few drivers just park it and walk to the nearest food establishment.  Examples would be the B44's at Avenue U and the B36's.  Even though they are of a block or two walk, still just parked and unattended.

Night times when some B44's are empty, I've seen some just dump it at Avenue T and walk into the 7-11 a few times.  But this is late late night. (2AM and on.)

Keeping the topic on (MTA) drivers like we should, I've seen Q30 drivers leave their buses and go into the Little Neck shopping centers and just use any facility they can. I mean, in this area, its not like someone is gonna steal the bus if nobody's watching.

When I would go out with my uncle, he would do the M101, M102 or M103.  At 8th street there was a place we'd go nearby to use the restroom and when he'd do the M102 run, we'd stop at the old Mother Clara Hale Depot and I'd go there. Place was a real dump too but in his case he seemed to know a lot of folks in that depot so it wasn't a problem.  With some runs you may get enough time to actually take a real break and take care of all of that but if not then you just have to do what you have to do.  Sometimes you fall behind and may get a break for hours so you essentially either learn how to train yourself or if you really have to go bad enough, I've seen some B/O's just pull the bus over during a run and run inside a McDonald's or something. There was a guy on the X14 that would do it a lot actually and he wouldn't even say anything.  He'd just make a stop, run off of the bus like some maniac and leave us sitting there like idiots.  <_<

After a while we got used to him doing that and since he was usually early anyway, it gave him an excuse to kill time so that he got back on schedule.

Well the rear doorway has always been popular. Another favorite has been kneeled down at the rearmost seat, just blame it on the passengers. Guys especially can get handy with a Super Big Gulp cup.

Well the rear doorway has always been popular. Another favorite has been kneeled down at the rearmost seat, just blame it on the passengers. Guys especially can get handy with a Super Big Gulp cup.

This is true... If you really have to go, on the old RTS's you'd get a cup once the run was over, park the bus in a spot where you're out of sight and go quickly if you have no other options.  I think that's less of an issue now, but I wouldn't say that still doesn't happen.  It's harder to do with the low floor buses though.

This is true... If you really have to go, on the old RTS's you'd get a cup once the run was over, park the bus in a spot where you're out of sight and go quickly if you have no other options.  I think that's less of an issue now, but I wouldn't say that still doesn't happen.  It's harder to do with the low floor buses though.

True.

Also, I think the MTA found out why the wheelchair lifts would constantly fail, about twenty years too late.

True.

Also, I think the MTA found out why the wheelchair lifts would constantly fail, about twenty years too late.

LOL... I still smell a rank smell on some local buses, but I think that's the AC and not B/Os taking a piss on the bus.  It's not like the old days... Too many eyes watching and people have cell phones so if they still do that they'd better do it and be discreet with it because people are ALWAYS watching.  It amazes me how nosy people are but everyone wants to be a damn news reporter these days...  <_<

On the express runs, I think in most cases B/Os have ample time between runs to use the rest room.  That's certainly the case with most Yonkers runs from what I've seen.

LOL... I still smell a rank smell on some local buses, but I think that's the AC and not B/Os taking a piss on the bus.  It's not like the old days... Too many eyes watching and people have cell phones so if they still do that they'd better do it and be discreet with it because people are ALWAYS watching.  It amazes me how nosy people are but everyone wants to be a damn news reporter these days...  <_<

On the express runs, I think in most cases B/Os have ample time between runs to use the rest room.  That's certainly the case with most Yonkers runs from what I've seen.

Yeah, as buses age the HVAC begins to become a "catchment system" for odors. Filters should be replaced but it becomes an afterthought.

* The awkward moment when you & the b/o of the bus you just got off of, are both pacing to head to the bathroom *

Anyway, as for a terminal in the middle of no commercial establishment in-particular, as was said, there's always the good ole piss bottle, partitioning the back doors to handle business, or walk over to some inconspicuous area.... for the males of course....

As to what female b/o's do in those situations... Well I have been on buses (yes, here in NYC) where a female will just pull the bus over somewhere mid-route into some establishment (with pax. aboard) to handle business.....

When I would go out with my uncle, he would do the M101, M102 or M103.  At 8th street there was a place we'd go nearby to use the restroom and when he'd do the M102 run, we'd stop at the old Mother Clara Hale Depot and I'd go there. Place was a real dump too but in his case he seemed to know a lot of folks in that depot so it wasn't a problem.  With some runs you may get enough time to actually take a real break and take care of all of that but if not then you just have to do what you have to do.  Sometimes you fall behind and may get a break for hours so you essentially either learn how to train yourself or if you really have to go bad enough, I've seen some B/O's just pull the bus over during a run and run inside a McDonald's or something. There was a guy on the X14 that would do it a lot actually and he wouldn't even say anything.  He'd just make a stop, run off of the bus like some maniac and leave us sitting there like idiots.  <_<

After a while we got used to him doing that and since he was usually early anyway, it gave him an excuse to kill time so that he got back on schedule.

Ugh damn phone.... Sometimes you fall behind and may NOT get a break for hours so you essentially either learn how to train yourself or if you really have to go bad enough, I've seen some B/O's just pull the bus over during a run and run inside a McDonald's or something.

I heard some bus op's wear diapers...

LMAO... Sadly enough I could see a few folks doing that too...  :lol:

Also, when I was on M60 with disabled MTA employee I know riding his usual M60 bus, I remember bus operator parked his bus and announced to passenger "I'll be back soon." and rush to portable restroom at Parking Lot #6/7 Employee shuttle stop before Terminal A.

At 74th St Subway, MTA Bus co drivers mostly use employee only restroom.

I have been to employee restroom at 190th St Station with MHV B/O friend.

True.

I can smell that just by that post!

I was on a Q43 that stopped midway on the route, and the driver just bolted through six lanes of fast-moving car traffic to get to a Burger King...

About 11 years ago, I remember this very vividly---a driver on the Q46 on bus 7008 (at the time, one of the Remans) stopped the bus at 164 Street, apologized to the passengers, and ran into the gas station---did not come out for about 7-8 minutes. I felt sorry for the next soul who had to go in there.

I can smell that just by that post!

About 11 years ago, I remember this very vividly---a driver on the Q46 on bus 7008 (at the time, one of the Remans) stopped the bus at 164 Street, apologized to the passengers, and ran into the gas station---did not come out for about 7-8 minutes. I felt sorry for the next soul who had to go in there.

Oh my, why did you have to put that picture into my mind?

My rule of thumb would be, if you need to go number 1 go, but for number tow, wait until you get home (dont question me).

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, yeah BO's sometimes would wait until the end of the route. Some of the QCM routes that terminate there, usually after it terminates, the BO leaves to go to an Applebees or Macy's. Same deal with KP Routes' BO's . They go into Kings Plaza.

I've seen B/Os take comfort reliefs at New Lots, Rockaway Parkway, Utica, Flatbush, and Dyre Avenue terminals. I've also seen them use fast food locations enroute. In all my years of using rapid transit I've only seen one case where a rider actually complained out loud about the delay. New Yorkers may be loud and obnoxious at times but everyone knows you don't mess with Mother Nature.

I've seen B/Os take comfort reliefs at New Lots, Rockaway Parkway, Utica, Flatbush, and Dyre Avenue terminals. I've also seen them use fast food locations enroute. In all my years of using rapid transit I've only seen one case where a rider actually complained out loud about the delay. New Yorkers may be loud and obnoxious at times but everyone knows you don't mess with Mother Nature.

I can think of a few occasions off the top of my head where riders aboard a bus started bitching & complaining about such a delay.....

New Yorkers of NYC (in general) are hardly forgiving & tolerant... Too many of us are tryna get nowhere fast in this city....

Archived