Dedicated LGA bus under review @ MTA, Q70 would shorten trips to LGA & ease Q33 ridership

mtattrain

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is close to approving a new bus route that would offer more direct service to LaGuardia Airport while cutting the existing Q33 route short to focus more on neighborhood riders.

The proposed Q70 Limited line — “a new faster and more direct route to LaGuardia” — would run from transit hubs in Woodside and Jackson Heights along the 7 subway line on Roosevelt Avenue and provide a shorter link with the airport.

The existing Q33 line, which serves as a feeder line for the subways in the area, would be stopped outside the airport at 95th Street.

A public hearing was held last month, though the recommendation had its genesis in a joint study carried out by the MTA and the New York City Department of Transportation in 2009.

Deidre Parker of the MTA said final recommendations would be given to the agency’s board members for meetings scheduled for June 3 and 5.

If approved, the new routes would go into effect in early September.

A staff report presented to the MTA board in March outlined the difficulties inherent in a bus line that serves both local transit customers and the airport.

Both formal analysis and customer feedback pointed out that the Q33 often is subjected to unpredictable delays along its route.

As a local subway feeder route, it must travel side streets and sometimes one-way residential streets that can be blocked with double-parked vehicles and other hazards, thus adding to delays.

Passengers from the community who are traveling back and forth to the subway lines can be inconvenienced by airport passengers who are carrying luggage, which takes up considerable space.

Turnaround time back from the airport can vary greatly depending on traffic and airport security requirements.

“Shortening the Q33 would ... allow the Q33 to better serve its primary ridership in the local communities to and from the subway, separate local community riders from airport ridership and the associated luggage, and improve reliability on the Q33 by providing recovery times at both ends of the route,” the internal report states.

Currently only 3 percent of the line’s ridership, or 300 people per day, travel between the local community and the airport, with a lesser number on weekends, the MYTA says.

The Q70, on the other hand, is estimated to have the ability to cut travel time from Jackson Heights to the airport by 40 percent by bypassing local stops and traffic delays.

It also would allow for new bus connections with the Long Island Rail Road and the 7 express subway line at Woodside.

The report states that the new route could cut travel time between Midtown Manhattan and LaGuardia to 35 minutes and that direct connections to the Woodside LIRR station would open direct LaGuardia access to eight LIRR branches that currently have no direct access.

City Councilman Daniel Dromm (D-Jackson Heights) said the MTA’s rationale makes sense.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Dromm said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. “It would give people the advantage of getting to the airport quicker, and still offer convenience for neighborhood residents who wanted to get to 94th Street. And the ride won’t cost people more.”

While there would be some cost to the MTA, officials said some of the increase would be partially offset by shortening the Q33 route.

See more here: http://www.qchron.com/editions/queenswide/dedicated-lga-bus-under-review-at-mta/article_2ba18ee8-5a4d-5c7c-8052-a3612d36e8a5.html

All I have to say, being inexperienced with bus routing plans, is that this plan sounds nice!

That's been said a while back. I'm still wondering why the BQE, and not a similar but not such congested path.

As usual, everyone's a critic of bus routes on highways...

Speaking of which, any height restrictions on the BQE that may pose any restrictions in the future?

Speaking of which, any height restrictions on the BQE that may pose any restrictions in the future?

It's an expressway so buses will fit just fine. Ops use it to deadhead to/from LaGuardia. The BQE isn't that bad in that area unless there's an accident of sorts. The traffic starts getting heavy more towards the LIE.

Another Q70 discussion I see... Yeah, those are the benefits in that article...

As long as they're not replacing the Q33 with this Q70 & forcing those who need areas b/w Roosevelt (av) & LGA onto other buses.....

.....I'm still wondering why the BQE, and not a similar but not such congested path.

In Jackson Heights...... Such as what ?

Point to point routes to airports generally usually utilize highways; I'm sure you remember the Q10a.

I haven't really followed this story, but is the Q70 going to be an NYCT or MTA Bus line? If Q70 and it relieves the Q33, maybe this could help LGA slightly since it seems they have too many local buses and the maintenance hasn't been keeping up (NG buses that feel like they are '10yrs old').

I still find this Q70/Q33 thing silly. To me it's going to kill about half the ridership on the Q33 and the Q33 is a short route. Why can't the MTA fix routes that actually need improvement. The Q25's ridership has gone up so much that 2 buses have to run behind one another to support all the people. And the buses are on time. Why couldn't they add a LTD on Saturday and Sunday that line is slow. Q88 suffers a lot from being late and being stuck in traffic. Maybe that route can have buses start at points where people get on the most like Utopia Parkway and kissena blvd.

I can't list all the routes but there are routes that need faster and improved service. LGA can't take on anymore routes that's why the Q103 should be eliminated the Q67 weekend service cut the Q100 merges with the Q69 every other bus to rikers and maybe the Q23 split with CP.

Have you seen that Q33? At 74-Bway, the line stretched completely out the terminal and even so, that line can't be quenched with just one bus. With the mix of LGA riders plus the regular passengers along 82/83 Sts, another line is badly needed. The Q47 only does but so much but since it only goes to the Marine terminal, it helps a few.

Frankly, I find this to be a good idea. As for the routing itself, well nothing is perfect

Cause they are stupid.

It's an expressway so buses will fit just fine. Ops use it to deadhead to/from LaGuardia. The BQE isn't that bad in that area unless there's an accident of sorts. The traffic starts getting heavy more towards the LIE.

exactly.

I still find this Q70/Q33 thing silly. To me it's going to kill about half the ridership on the Q33 and the Q33 is a short route. Why can't the MTA fix routes that actually need improvement. The Q25's ridership has gone up so much that 2 buses have to run behind one another to support all the people. And the buses are on time. Why couldn't they add a LTD on Saturday and Sunday that line is slow. Q88 suffers a lot from being late and being stuck in traffic. Maybe that route can have buses start at points where people get on the most like Utopia Parkway and kissena blvd.

I can't list all the routes but there are routes that need faster and improved service. LGA can't take on anymore routes that's why the Q103 should be eliminated the Q67 weekend service cut the Q100 merges with the Q69 every other bus to rikers and maybe the Q23 split with CP.

Q100 does not need slower service no merger with Q69 no merger with any line needed. Q33 also needs this it is slow as hell and LGA riders deserve better half of the people DO NOT want to be on the Q33 but have no other choice why subject them to such a slow bus Q70 is a god send. You are right about LTD on Q25. Q103 can be merged with other lines not against that you are even right about Q67 to an extent. But dead wrong on the Q33/70 where does Q88 suffer with traffic?

Have you seen that Q33? At 74-Bway, the line stretched completely out the terminal and even so, that line can't be quenched with just one bus. With the mix of LGA riders plus the regular passengers along 82/83 Sts, another line is badly needed. The Q47 only does but so much but since it only goes to the Marine terminal, it helps a few.

Frankly, I find this to be a good idea. As for the routing itself, well nothing is perfect

He clearly does not know the Q33!!! Otherwise he wouldn't have said that. Q70 has a bright future ahead.

I also agreed with College Point Man.

Q33 bus actually heavily uses between LGA Airports and local streets.

I went to meeting and Q70 will replace Q33 bus inside LGA Airport.

Don't forget not only Q88, but Q58, Q17 buses often gets delays with LIE/HHE traffic as well.

I also agreed with College Point Man.

I went to meeting and Q70 will replace Q33 bus inside LGA Airport.

Don't forget not only Q88, but Q58, Q17 buses often gets delays with LIE/HHE traffic as well.

good now I know to not take your criticism seriously. This confirms it. And those Q33 riders from Jackson heights would be free from the slow Q33 at last Let em celebrate the Q70. Q58 only uses it for 2 mins.  People going to the airport just want to get there not go through slow local streets. All hail Q70! 

To who it may interest, here are the original maps of the proposal from the MTA.

ncsk7.jpg

s0wyn5.jpg

I may be over estimating, but I can see reductions for the Q33 in the not so distant future.

The Q47 only does but so much but since it only goes to the Marine terminal, it helps a few.

I wouldn't even say "but so much"; the Q47 does little to nothing to help out the Q33 to LGA....

Saying that another way, few people ride the 47 out of Marine Air - It starts picking up ridership once it exits the airport (over there on 82nd/ditmars).... I'd go as far as to say the Q48 even gets more usage out of marine air than the 47 does.....

But yeah, I don't see the problem with the concept (or the routing really, for the matter) behind the Q70 either......

Q100 does not need slower service no merger with Q69 no merger with any line needed. Q33 also needs this it is slow as hell and LGA riders deserve better half of the people DO NOT want to be on the Q33 but have no other choice why subject them to such a slow bus Q70 is a god send.

Yup, the Q100 is one of the more efficient routes in the entire system.... Q69 is pretty god damn slow - now that route just crawlllls from end to end......

As far as the Q33, I wouldn't make the issue of its slowness the bigger issue - TJ Trainman is right with his assessment; it's the delays that the Q33 suffers from is moreso the issue (not exactly the same thing).... Sayin it another way, the delays on the Q33 doesn't simply come from the route being slow, it comes from all the passenger activity the route gets (inside and outside LGA).... Take the Q33 out of LGA & you'll go pretty far with eliminating the amount of times buses get delayed on that route..... The part that's gonna suck though for current Q33 riders is the lessening of service for this Q70 service....

1) .....which is why they're separating the LGA riders from the riders that utilize the route b/w ditmars & roosevelt.

2) apples & oranges to lump the Q17 & the Q58 in, as it pertains to delays on the Q88....

Simply put, Q17's delays stem from within flushing..... Q58's delays (quite frankly) stem from the routing it takes from end to end (especially/specifically the utilization of corona av) & the amount of passenger activity the route gets..... Not that Grand av is a picnic regarding traffic, but as far as its routing regarding delays/traffic concerns, Corona av & Fresh Pond Rd I'd say are the main contributors to the delays the 58 gets...

The (MTA) really needs to put the standard NYCT stops signs on all MTA Bus routes.

I bet when the Q70 starts people are still going to think that it serves LGA even few months after it starts.

That's always gonna happen with the cutback of some route....

Time will only tell with the Q70 and its reliability, although I still have concerns with that GCP West -> BQE South ramp being only a single lane...

good bus O/P s would use the astoria blvd entrance to bypass that traffic on that ramp anyway. You act like the bus can't do a detour to skip that ramp it can still get on the BQE without that ramp. 

The (MTA) really needs to put the standard NYCT stops signs on all MTA Bus routes. I bet when the Q70 starts people are still going to think that it serves LGA even few months after it starts.

It's called a headsign....

how reliable is the Q52? how fast can a bus go on queens blvd without stopping between queens center mall and 48th street?

The Q52 is reliable, like I've said, no need to run it to Hawaii via a Cargo Airline from JFK.

The bulk of the Q60 ridership is between Sunnyside and Jamaica. You can't run buses non-stop because you have a substantial amount of people boarding at those stops. Even if you are doing it every other trip rush hours, it would still leave a big gap in service.

Archived