B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Good to know thanks

Do you have to pick a depot right then and there or they give you time to think it over?

If you get a chance to pick, it's on GI Day. By seniority, you need to pick there right away from the options they give you.

I was last seriority in my class, and once everything else was taken, 2 of us defaulted to what was left automatically. Honestly be glad if you at least have a choice to pick. Some classes weren't given the option to pick.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you get a chance to pick, it's on GI Day. By seniority, you need to pick there right away from the options they give you.

I was last seriority in my class, and once everything else was taken, 2 of us defaulted to what was left automatically. Honestly be glad if you at least have a choice to pick. Some classes weren't given the option to pick. Which did u pick????

When someone is placed on medical hold the sheet that MTA gives for ur primary doctor to fill up does it only ask especifically for what mta needs or does it ask for ur health overall? Anyone whos been threw this that can inform the rest of us will gladly appreciate it thanks upfront..

Edited by bonilla1987

When someone is placed on medical hold the sheet that MTA gives for ur primary doctor to fill up does it only ask especifically for what mta needs or does it ask for ur health overall? Anyone whos been threw this that can inform the rest of us will gladly appreciate it thanks upfront..

Only for the particular medical problem you're having. e.g. if you're blood sugar is high, they will ask your doc to fill out the form about blood sugar. Nothing else.

The remainder of us that still had to do DMV were split into 2 groups. One of 6 and the other of 5. We all decided who would drive depending on who was having the most issues still. We all took turns. Someone of us didn't need to do any air brakes, so we let the ones that needed help do the test but we would help them remember or add ways for them to understand it. The supt. We're just there to supervised the bus and make sure nothing happened. It was cool, cause the guys the needed help parking and backing up had multiple times to try, while myself I only did it once and then gave them more time. We all worked 2gether to help make it thru the training and dmv test. I know not all classes would be like that, but our was.

We did both ways. Drove and turns dmv and mta way. It was up to us as long as we let the supt. Know we were gonna do it that way.

Interesting...thanks for the info!!

I was last seriority in my class, and once everything else was taken, 2 of us defaulted to what was left automatically. Honestly be glad if you at least have a choice to pick. Some classes weren't given the option to pick.

If anything, that's one of the good things of being on medical hold or reinstating your list # later on...depending on the exact scenario, you won't be last to pick your "initial" depot...

If anything, that's one of the good things of being on medical hold or reinstating your list # later on...depending on the exact scenario, you won't be last to pick your "initial" depot...

What does the seniority means here?...It's the higher list number..??

Edited by dissa2000

The list number is established from the test results. So example would be my list # is 82x. In my class there was people with list number 7xx. They have more seriority than me, so they get to pick before me for the rest of my time at MTA. Now there was a new class after, I get to pick before them.

If you come off from medical, you get put back into place with your list number.

The list number is established from the test results. So example would be my list # is 82x. In my class there was people with list number 7xx. They have more seriority than me, so they get to pick before me for the rest of my time at MTA. Now there was a new class after, I get to pick before them.

If you come off from medical, you get put back into place with your list number.

Thank you..I'm on medical hold. Planning to go back in February after taking care of few personal matters. Hopefully I will have seniority then. If I pass, i want to pick Staten Island.

Do u have long on medical hold if u dont mind me askin.. is it hard to come off it?

Depends on the specific condition and individual.

If you are put on medical hold immediately seek medical evaluation/treatment and bring documentation acceptable to the MTA medical department (they will specify) as soon as possible. According to the documentation received (and which you will sign) on Medical/Final Processing Day (partial):

If the Medical Department was unable to complete your examination for any reason, you are considered to be on "Medical Hold."

You must clear this medical hold ASAP .... a position will not be held for you.

If you are not appointed to a NYCT position, your name will be removed from the list and you may request restoration to the list at the [NYC DCAS].

MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company candidates who are not appointed should contact NYC Transit's Employment Center.

Common reasons for a medical hold are high blood pressure and vision issues.

Edited by 161NewYork

Depends on the specific condition and individual.

If you are put on medical hold immediately seek medical evaluation/treatment and bring documentation acceptable to the MTA medical department (they will specify) as soon as possible. According to the documentation received (and which you will sign) on Medical/Final Processing Day (partial):

Common reasons for a medical hold are high blood pressure and vision issues.

Limit is 160 for the high blood pressure. I passed with 150

sent from my note4

I thought the limit was 130/90 for transit.

Doctors cleared me. I also brought in a letter from my doctor just in case, but it wouldn't have helped if I was placed on hold. MEDICAL needs a specific form that they give you for your doctor to fill out. But I was so nervous that I was going to be placed on hold that I asked if I could take another reading. She told me I was at the high end but passed.

sent from my note4

Doctors cleared me. I also brought in a letter from my doctor just in case, but it wouldn't have helped if I was placed on hold. MEDICAL needs a specific form that they give you for your doctor to fill out. But I was so nervous that I was going to be placed on hold that I asked if I could take another reading. She told me I was at the high end but passed.

sent from my note4

Okay, I just paid a visit to my doctor just in case I am placed on a medical hold. 

Okay, I just paid a visit to my doctor just in case I am placed on a medical hold.

But you need a form from TA medical 180 livingston to give to your doctor. I just had a letter from my doctor in case but he just read it and said if he did put me on hold I would still need to get the form sign and come back.

sent from my note4

But you need a form from TA medical 180 livingston to give to your doctor. I just had a letter from my doctor in case but he just read it and said if he did put me on hold I would still need to get the form sign and come back.

sent from my note4

I got it. I just wanted to go to my doctor so my latest checkup could be on file.

Thank you..I'm on medical hold. Planning to go back in February after taking care of few personal matters. Hopefully I will have seniority then. If I pass, i want to pick Staten Island.

You should...even if you have to go through DCAS to restore your name to the list, your list # stays the same, therefore, providing there's an opening, you shouldn't have a problem.

From the class of 11/14 they asked upfront if you wanted to put in for Staten Island to sign the paper of acceptance to request SI or Queens depot, providing you pass qualifying. Once you sign that paper and want to go to SI or Qnz you will stay there for life and cannot leave those depot in that Borough

sent from my note4

From the class of 11/14 they asked upfront if you wanted to put in for Staten Island to sign the paper of acceptance to request SI or Queens depot, providing you pass qualifying. Once you sign that paper and want to go to SI or Qnz you will stay there for life and cannot leave those depot in that Borough

sent from my note4

I went for my medical on Nov 1st. My hold was for a minor issue. They said to get it cleared and come back ASAP to join the Nov 14th class. But I decided to take that opportunity to hold on till Feb. Need time to take care of few personal matters for which I wouldn't have time if I had started on Nov. 14th. Hope the list would not end before then.

Edited by dissa2000

I went for my medical on Nov 1st. My hold was for a minor issue. They said to get it cleared and come back ASAP to join the Nov 14th class. But I decided to take that opportunity to hold on till Feb. Need time to take care of few personal matters for which I wouldn't have time if I had started on Nov. 14th. Hope the list would not end before then.

It definitely won't...like I said, if they do remove your name from the list, you just have to go through DCAS to get your name and list number restored...that's all...