B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

normally when coming straight to SI YOU you have to do line Training out of each depot plus do express training with union. Or maybe because you're a transfer they will put in depot available and you just do line Training there until you complete all lines for that depot. It could be either or.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this off topic but anyone that has a Cdl maybe could help me. I noticed on the white paper that I got yesterday to take to DMV to amend my license after passing the RT it says under restrictions the letter R and the no vechile designed for >=8 adult pass. NY clue why it would say that and how do I get those restrictions removed? Thanks for all the help/insight

I know this off topic but anyone that has a Cdl maybe could help me. I noticed on the white paper that I got yesterday to take to DMV to amend my license after passing the RT it says under restrictions the letter R and the no vechile designed for >=8 adult pass. NY clue why it would say that and how do I get those restrictions removed? Thanks for all the help/insight

Mind I ask what type of vehicle you used for your road test? Here's why I'm asking: If you had a permit with a "P" endorsement, and you took your road test in a tractor trailer (like me) or a box truck or something to that nature, and not in a bus, you will receive an N2 restriction, which is what you're describing (click here for more information). As far as the "R" restriction, I don't know about that, sorry.

As far as how to get the N2 restriction removed: Long story short, you have to take another road test in a big bus, and NOT a mini-bus.

Sorry...

Mind I ask what type of vehicle you used for your road test? Here's why I'm asking: If you had a permit with a "P" endorsement, and you took your road test in a tractor trailer (like me) or a box truck or something to that nature, and not in a bus, you will receive an N2 restriction, which is what you're describing (click here for more information). As far as the "R" restriction, I don't know about that, sorry.

As far as how to get the N2 restriction removed: Long story short, you have to take another road test in a big bus, and NOT a mini-bus.

Sorry...

I have a P endorsement I also had to get a S endorsement for a school bus. I took it in a 30 foot bus. When I called the school today they found it strange. It may be a mistake on the examiners part. I'll found out Tuesday when I go to amend my license at DMV.

Hello I wanted to know if anyone went for pre employment  on March 29 2017 and are still waiting to be called for the medical? And also does anyone know if it usually takes this long after the pre employment to receive a call back. I wanted to start a new job and i was confused to if i should start the new job when i really want to start my career here. But no one can really help me when I call no one really answers the phone and when someone finally did he told me that they are not hiring off the 4600 list anymore which really was discouraging. I came here hoping someone an talk to me and to see if anyone was going through this? thank you 

Hello I wanted to know if anyone went for pre employment  on March 29 2017 and are still waiting to be called for the medical? And also does anyone know if it usually takes this long after the pre employment to receive a call back. I wanted to start a new job and i was confused to if i should start the new job when i really want to start my career here. But no one can really help me when I call no one really answers the phone and when someone finally did he told me that they are not hiring off the 4600 list anymore which really was discouraging. I came here hoping someone an talk to me and to see if anyone was going through this? thank you

I'm in the same boat I went on March 27th tho. I was told when dept of buses(TA) reaches out that's when they will start calling again. Last number hired was 309x. I didn't call I sent an email to exams unit and examunit responded with phone numbers. After Ms. Chestnut emailed me telling me the last number that was hired.

I have a P endorsement I also had to get a S endorsement for a school bus. I took it in a 30 foot bus. When I called the school today they found it strange. It may be a mistake on the examiners part. I'll found out Tuesday when I go to amend my license at DMV.

That's strange....it's probably an error on the examiners part...keep in mind that they are state workers and they don't work that hard to begin with...

I came here hoping someone an talk to me and to see if anyone was going through this? thank you 

Honestly, it's just a waiting game...as far as the new job, I would pass, since you're probably only going to be there less than 3 months before you hear back from Livingston Street.

Thank you for replying to me...And you think I shouldn't take the new job again thank you

First, you're welcome.

Second, this is how I look at it: Say for example you're with this "new" employer for about 3 months, and then all of a sudden you tell them that you want to take off for three consecutive weeks, in case you fail the 10-day training, like with me back in 2014. Chances are they are going to say "no", and then you have a hard decision to make.

Now, if you've been with an employer for a certain amount of years, they will probably not only work with you, but also let you come back in the event you fail training. I just like to be on the safe side, especially in these tough economic times. That's all...

I went to DMV this morning to amend my license only restrictons I have are an A3, B and K. I guess that restriction that the examiner put on the white paper when I passed my B road test was an error. I now have the temporary license until my official one comes in the mail. It's a good feeling.

Just got the call to come in on Wednesday for final processing.

Nice! What phone number do they call you from?

Figured as much. All good. I am 309X, so I am sure I will be hearing from them at some point. (fingers crossed)

Hopefully we get called soon I'm 312x. The wait is a killer but in the end is well worth it.

Hopefully we get called soon I'm 312x. The wait is a killer but in the end is well worth it.

it sure is.

it was Ms. Chestnut that called me. I believed someone posted the number here before.

you are right and i understand thank you sharing your story with me .

No problem.

I went to DMV this morning to amend my license only restrictons I have are an A3, B and K. I guess that restriction that the examiner put on the white paper when I passed my B road test was an error. I now have the temporary license until my official one comes in the mail. It's a good feeling.

You know you can always get rid of that by doing to DMV and reading their "simple" eye chart, right?

My letter stated that the my final processing is for a class that starts June 12 that's the same day as my road test and I'm nervous.

Ouch! I hear ya...there's no way you can take the road test earlier and get it out of the way?

it was Ms. Chestnut that called me. I believed someone posted the number here before.

(347) 643-8213

Edited by +Young+
Addition...

No problem.

You know you can always get rid of that by doing to DMV and reading their "simple" eye chart, right?

Ouch! I hear ya...there's no way you can take the road test earlier and get it out of the way?

maybe I can call the school to see if it's possible.

maybe I can call the school to see if it's possible.

Do so!! Without mentioning any specific names, I got a little "annoyed" as far as how long the Queens office was taking to book my road test, compared to Brooklyn, which, IMHO, is on top of their game!! Anyways, so one day I was playing online with DMV's Road Test Scheduler, and I found some dates and times for Maspeth (the road test site). As soon as I saw something that fit my schedule, I called the school to ask if a vehicle and an instructor were available. It took a few back-and-forth tries, however in the long run we were able to figure something out.

Therefore, it doesn't hurt to try, especially if you're free during the week when your driving school is open...

No problem.

I need to wear glasses. I always have so that's OK. I got all restrictions that mta allows. Im glad I didn't have an N2 restriction after taking the road test in a 40ft bus that weighed 28,960lbs and had sat more the 16 passengers.

Do so!! Without mentioning any specific names, I got a little "annoyed" as far as how long the Queens office was taking to book my road test, compared to Brooklyn, which, IMHO, is on top of their game!! Anyways, so one day I was playing online with DMV's Road Test Scheduler, and I found some dates and times for Maspeth (the road test site). As soon as I saw something that fit my schedule, I called the school to ask if a vehicle and an instructor were available. It took a few back-and-forth tries, however in the long run we were able to figure something out.

Therefore, it doesn't hurt to try, especially if you're free during the week when your driving school is open...

The school that I went to is in long island. But I will call them tomorrow. 

Will they still be testing for sleep apnea in the medical...

As it is stated in this post, "...and they mentioned that if you next size is 17 inches or larger, they require a sleep apena test..."

Will they physically be doing the sleep apnea test in medical? No.