B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

and what do you say about calling the civil service bookstore with their books or this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Bus-Operator-Arco-Master-Conductor/dp/B0091XBAJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374350393&sr=8-2&keywords=bus+operator

I briefly looked into this one, and one of the things I did not like was that it was not 100% specific for Bus Operators since the fourth and fifth sample exams were for Bus Operator OR Conductor. From what I recall, the questions in the sample exams were nothing like exam # 2613 which was given back in January.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I briefly looked into this one, and one of the things I did not like was that it was not 100% specific for Bus Operators since the fourth and fifth sample exams were for Bus Operator OR Conductor. From what I recall, the questions in the sample exams were nothing like exam # 2613 which was given back in January.

ok and what do you have to say about buying from the civil service bookstore in manhattan?

According to http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/work/civilservice_1.shtml, a civil service exam is "is in place to help ensure that the hiring process is competitive and fair." (Refer to the site for more information, which is self-explanatory.) In other words, the civil service exam asks you questions about the job.[/size]

A BOSS (also known as a Bus Operator Selection Survey) is a mini-psychological exam, which selects Bus Operators based on your answers. They will have several statements in which you agree, disagree, or just neutral.[/size]

Below are some examples. The answers that the MTA are looking for, which will help you get hired, are in parenthesis. If you answer anything else, they may not look to hire you.[/size]

1) How comfortable are you speaking one-on-one to a stranger? (Comfortable)[/size]

2) Laws which prohibit radar detectors are unfair. (Disagree) [since you want to tell the MTA that you never speed][/size]

3) In your opinion, how often is it acceptable to be a minute or two late for work? (Never)[/size]

4) How would you rate your ability to get along with others? (Very high)[/size]

5) I am often in a hurry. (Disagree) [keep in mind that the bus is on a timetable][/size]

6) In the past year, how often have you been absent from work? (Less than 5 days) [Need to be reasonable][/size]

7) How comfortable are you speaking one-on-one with your supervisor? (Comfortable) [since you do not make any mistakes][/size]

8) The charge of a ticket is too high. (Disagree) [want to tell the MTA that you are a good driver & do NOT speed)[/size]

9) I get upset when people do not turn on red when it is legal to do so. (Neutral) [Again, the bus has a timetable][/size]

10) The kind of supervision I like best is: (Fairly close supervision) [Again, you do not make any mistakes][/size]

11) In a one year period, how many absences from work would you consider acceptable? (Less than 5 days) [Repeat of #6][/size]

Get it? Feel free to PM me if necessary...[/size]

Thanks. Ive taken the BOSS before. And im working with MTA bus currently but desperately want to get over to TA

Ill look into that book you suggested also. I would like to score as high as possible to be higher on the list.

Id have to do probation again right ?

@ Bree... - Since it is early, look around at the various prices. Like I said, I borrowed the book from Queens Library, used it and gave it back. Try to find the best price. Perhaps a used book will be a little cheaper.

@KingNas - I am not 100% sure about probation. My educated guess is 'yes' since it is a different agency. Even if you have to do it - a year flies by fast.

Is there really that much demand for bus operators that MTA is having another exam so soon after 2613 or do you think they are just doing it for the revenue?

I also have an unasnwered question in another thread if someone is willing to help:

I'm happy that things are moving so quickly for you guys who took exam 2613. I applied for the exam and then did not show up on the day of the test, which I now sorely regret. The reason I did not show up is I received a psych DQ from the NYPD because I take anti-anxiety medication. I did not want to go through the whole test taking and hiring process again just to be rejected. On my drive to the test, I was thinking with so many qualified applicants that they wouldn't take a chance with someone who has anxiety and has to do deal with patrons all day, so I turned around and went home. I know my condition doesn't affect my work performance, but I can understand an employer's apprehension of hiring someone with anxiety, when they could just as well hire a "normal" person. At any point in the hiring process,  does MTA inquire about your mental health history and can you receive a psych DQ for taking medication?  Thank you.

I failed this bus operator school last month. They told me that I have to wait five years. If I took this exam would the list expire before 7/2018? I think I would have to decline and reinstate myself if they reach my list number before that correct? 

Thanks

Edited by lawkev

I failed this bus operator school last month. They told me that I have to wait five years. If I took this exam would the list expire before 7/2018? I think I would have to decline and reinstate myself if they reach my list number before that correct? 

Thanks

hey what happen  why did you FAIL ?

Would highly NOT recommend it. The questions in that book are so old, they are nothing like the B/O exam I took this past January nor the BOSS exam I took in late June...

In addition, keep in mind the phrase "What you pay for is what you get", right?

This is the same book I got from Civil Service Bookshop on 89 Worth St in Manhattan. I passed my 2613 (86.25%) before that, but was looking for some hints for upcoming BOSS that I previously failed (2301).

Women from the store told me that BOSS is the Interview and gave me this book. I guess they really wanted to sell it to me. There is obviously NOTHING about BOSS in there. I got more info here already...

Would I recommend it? Most likely since it has some useful information and especially for beginner it will never hurt to know more, BUT if Young said he found better book, I would stick with his choice.

Thanks

Do you mean you were hired and failed the Training?

Your not hired til you pass the Training. 

Not exactly.....  Once your sworn in you are actually appointed/hired as a Bus Operator TRAINEE it even says So on your Pay stubs. You can't be added to or removed from payroll or resign from a position you were nerver hired for so technically you are a hired MTA employee. However you are not considered a full fledged Bus Operator until you complete the entire training process, provided a badge and have earned enough trust to be cut loose on your own to service passengers without a sup ride-along you then move on to being the newbie/ rookie for a while.

Edited by Syrenity

So, hired, taken or whatever... Question is still unanswered... thanks to RTS4Life B-)

Unfortunately, you probably wont get a solid answer to that question on this forum however, contact HR @ 180 & DCAS and you should be able to get a firm response from either or both. I know your concern all too well. Because, when I failed training I applied 3x after when filings were made available. {I'm even considering taking the upcoming one just in case training does not work out this time but I'm trying to keep all negative thoughts & engery out.} Anyhow..I was nervous about that 5 yr deal since my time wouldnt be up until june and they called me to begin processing for 1 in april and then within 2 weeks offered me another operator position from a separate list. Fortunately the time it took between the BOSS & my drug test june is a memory and now I no longer have that issue. The same may or may not happen to you but I would take the exam just to give myself a shot. 

Edited by Syrenity

Finally!

I will submit my application when I receive my next paycheck..

Thankfully, they have the examination date on the announcement and luckily it falls on a Saturday.

Commentary for those who might be interested:

Currenty I am in the IT business, while my company is Fortune 500 and mainly stable and I do enjoy the fast-paced nature of the job, I find the work interesting and have mostly great co-workers I never thought that I would want to become a bus operator.

The MTA (Staten Island) would be a good fit, as I know nearly all the lines and have thick enough skin to maintain a good relationship with the public. I am still going give serious thought about the P/T BO position with NJ Transit in the meanwhile, but I am hesitant due to the drastic pay cut though I think it would be an even better fit because of the longer distance New York routes (from preferred garages) ie 161/19*-series routes (Wayne) or the 130*-routes (Howell) and nearly all the BO's on the 161 have been friendly and professional. Greyhound would be awesome but I have no idea about the route preferences (I would love to do US-Canada runs), but the pay/benefits aren't the greatest..

Edited by 161passenger

Any 1 have any idea on where to print this form instead of going to 180 livingston. I've tried Application for Examination on the forum but does not work. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://erecruit.mtabsc.info/psc/ERPRD/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/B_CUSTOM_MENU.HRS_CE.GBL?&

Try this link you must apply on line unless you are eligible for a fee waiver.

Finally!

I will submit my application when I receive my next paycheck..

Thankfully, they have the examination date on the announcement and luckily it falls on a Saturday.

Commentary for those who might be interested:

Currenty I am in the IT business, while my company is Fortune 500 and mainly stable and I do enjoy the fast-paced nature of the job, I find the work interesting and have mostly great co-workers I never thought that I would want to become a bus operator.

The MTA (Staten Island) would be a good fit, as I know nearly all the lines and have thick enough skin to maintain a good relationship with the public. I am still going give serious thought about the P/T BO position with NJ Transit in the meanwhile, but I am hesitant due to the drastic pay cut though I think it would be an even better fit because of the longer distance New York routes (from preferred garages) ie 161/19*-series routes (Wayne) or the 130*-routes (Howell) and nearly all the BO's on the 161 have been friendly and professional. Greyhound would be awesome but I have no idea about the route preferences (I would love to do US-Canada runs), but the pay/benefits aren't the greatest..

Huh? :rolleyes:

Anyway, guys, applied here!

My 3rd one for B/O and I hope the Last One.

Something's telling me that a LOT OF US will get it this time.

I wish all of us Best Of Luck!!!

Does anyone have any sugestions on study matterial for civil service examination. I asked this question before and the book which was suggested "Bus Operator Exam New York City" is imposible to find here in Florida its not available for tranfer via public library system. Even looking at NYC library system its on hold so my relatives are'nt able to help me. Any person with any sugestions other than buying online for 200 bucks (lol) or anyperson that can elaborate on the content of civil service exams please help me out thanks in advance.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Amen Syrenity actually going to pay for my app right now. Hopefully we all do well and get what we all desire

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4