Interestingly Bizarre...The New Color For The +SBS+ Lights Will Be....

Cait Sith

Authorizes any bus owned and operated by the metropolitan transportation authority or the New York city transit authority to use flashing purple lights.

BILL NUMBER:S5703TITLE OF BILL:  An act to amend the vehicle and traffic law, inrelation to authorizing certain buses owned and operated by themetropolitan transportation authority or the New York city transitauthority to use flashing purple lightsPURPOSE: To permit the use of flashing purple lights on MetropolitanTransportation Authority  or New York City Transit Authority(NYCTA) Select Bus Services (SBS) buses.SUMMARY OF PROVISIONS:Section 1: Amends subdivision 41 of section 375 of the vehicle andtraffic law to add a new subparagraph 1-a so that the MTA and NYCTAare permitted to use flashing purple lights on SBS buses.JUSTIFICATION: The Authorities' SBS buses had previously utilizedflashing blue lights to signal their approach to passengers. Under thecurrent law, blue lights are authorized for use by volunteerfirefighters and EMTs on their vehicles. Although almost all of fireand EMT emergency services in New York City are professional, notvolunteer, in the interest of avoiding confusion with emergencyvehicles, even relatively rare volunteer vehicles, SBS buses should beauthorized to use flashing purple lights, which is a color not used byany emergency vehicle under VTL section 375(41).In addition, emergency vehicles are easy to distinguish from buses, sothe use of different colored lights is not an issue. Without theflashing purple lights, passengers cannot easily tell when a SBS busis coming. This is critical for passengers boarding at stops thatserve both the SBS bus and the local bus, or are nearby. At suchstops, which are common to all SBS routes, Passengers have the optionof purchasing their ticket from the sidewalk ticket vending machine,which is needed to board an SBS bus, or using a MetroCard or exactchange to board a local bus. Passengers at these locations must beable to distinguish well in advance which bus is approaching in orderto exercise one or the other option in time to board the arriving bus.The flashina purple lights provide that necessary advance notice. Theabsence of flashing purple lights on SBS buses makes the commute forpassengers less convenient and unnecessarily stressful. This billwould allow the use of flashing purple lights on SBS buses owned andoperated by the MTA or NYCTA, thereby remedying the problem.LEGISLATIVE HISTORY: New Bill.FISCAL IMPLICATIONS: None.EFFECTIVE DATE: This act shall take effect immediately.	
S5703-2013 Text
S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K

2013-2014 Regular Sessions

I N SENATE

June 6, 2013

Introduced by Sen. KLEIN -- read twice and ordered printed, and when
printed to be committed to the Committee on Transportation

AN ACT to amend the vehicle and traffic law, in relation to authorizing
certain buses owned and operated by the metropolitan transportation
authority or the New York city transit authority to use flashing
purple lights

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM-
BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. Subdivision 41 of section 375 of the vehicle and traffic
law is amended by adding a new paragraph 1-a to read as follows:

1-A. IN A CITY WITH A POPULATION OF ONE MILLION OR MORE, ANY BUSES
OWNED AND OPERATED BY THE METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY OR THE
NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY AND OPERATED AS PART OF THE AUTHORITIES'
SELECT BUS SERVICES MAY HAVE FLASHING PURPLE LIGHTS AFFIXED TO AND
DISPLAYED ON SUCH BUSES.
S 2. This act shall take effect immediately.

EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets
[ ] is old law to be omitted.
LBD09767-04-3

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S5703-2013

Somehow I know this will be met by negative passenger response.

THE PURPLE CLASHES WITH THE SUNSET IT'S A DANGER TO SOCIETY IT MUST BE REPLACED DOESN'T THE MTA CARE ABOUT US THEY'RE SO ARROGANT MY TAXES ARE HIGH USA USA USA

Sounds good to me, shame we had to have all this bureaucratic bullsh!t in the first place cause a few morons in Staten Island confused an O7 with a police car...

Please, half of the residents in SI can't differentiate their own a**hole from the Jersey Shore.

THE PURPLE CLASHES WITH THE SUNSET IT'S A DANGER TO SOCIETY IT MUST BE REPLACED DOESN'T THE MTA CARE ABOUT US THEY'RE SO ARROGANT MY TAXES ARE HIGH USA USA USA

LOL!

Not bizarre. Everything else is reserved for emergency vehicles. It's the only color that's left. That or pink/magenta.

Yes yes. And then also paint the buses pink to match that. Wouldn't that look sexy? :lol:

(you can get the idea with this picture of school buses in Washington, DC :P) http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwr/2541180104)

I doubt that it would apply to the MTA as that story was from out of NY State, so considering the MTA may have done some research I'm assuming that there is no issue with the color choice for the lights, or I would hope not.

Also, I must say, if it wasn't for the fact that the buses are already equipped with light sockets I'd say screw the lights and just have the headsign display SBS.

I think it would have better to have just given the (MTA) the exception for the blue lights. They go with the SBS wraps and the whole SBS concept for that matter. Anyone who really complained about the lights had too much time on their hands, even if it was technically "illegal," THEY'RE BUSES, and look nothing like emergency vehicles.

Archived