Block Names

nostalgia

Portions of the LIRR operate by timetable authority because there are no signals.

Non-signaled sections are called blocks and each block has a name. Some are easy to understand, e.g. AG for Amagansett, WH for Westhampton, and SN for Southampton. But some are a mystery.

ND: Hampton Bays (But I don't see the relationship)

MR

AH

R

LD

R

Can somebody unravel the mysteries?

I can't unravel the mysteries for you but I could give it a shot:

MR: Merrick (or if it's a really old signal then it could also refer to the former station of Moriches).

AH: Are you sure that is AH? Because if it was HA it could refer to the former Union Hall Street station.

LD: Boland's Landing

I wonder how many I got right :)

Allow me to do some unraveling:

ND: Hampton Bays (Good Ground).  "Good Ground" was the name of the station when it opened as part of the Sag Harbor Branch in 1869.

MR: Manorville (St. George's Manor) a former LIRR Mainline station between Yaphank and Calverton

AH: Calverton (Baiting Hollow) "Bating Hollow" was the Calverton station's original name when it opened in 1880.

R: Jamesport

LD: Riverhead (named in honor of former superintendent of transportation Larry Dixon.

Any others?

ND: Hampton Bays (Good Ground).  "Good Ground" was the name of the station when it opened as part of the Sag Harbor Branch in 1869.

MR: Manorville (St. George's Manor) a former LIRR Mainline station between Yaphank and Calverton

AH: Calverton (Baiting Hollow) "Bating Hollow" was the Calverton station's original name when it opened in 1880.

LD: Riverhead (named in honor of former superintendent of transportation Larry Dixon.

Any others?

Though not a block name, why is Y interlocking (MP 50 on Montauk Branch) named Y? Is it because the interlocking looks like a Y. (2 tracks merge into one going eastbound.)

Why is the interlocking next to Deer Park called JS?

On the Port Jeff Branch, how did Amott, Duke, Fox and Post interlockings get their names?

Thank you for your assistance.

Y Interlocking: Sayville

JS Interlocking: named after retired LIRR Senior Vice President of Administration Jimmy Sullivan

AMOTT Interlocking: named after retired LIRR engineers Joseph, Charles, and James Amott

DUKE Interlocking: named after retired LIRR conductor Henry Duke

FOX Interlocking: named after Joe and Walter Fox

POST Interlocking: named after retired signal department engineer Howell Post

MR, AH, R and are on the main line. Moriches is on the Montauk Branch.

Wrong. Moriches is on the former Sag Harbor Branch. And I also listed Merrick as a possibility...

And Boland's Landing is also referred to as LD so I wasn't that off.

But looks like we got it figured out now thanks to lirr42, thanks dude! :)

Wrong. Moriches is on the former Sag Harbor Branch. And I also listed Merrick as a possibility...

And Boland's Landing is also referred to as LD so I wasn't that off.

But looks like we got it figured out now thanks to lirr42, thanks dude! :)

Moriches is on the Montauk Branch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_Moriches_(LIRR_station)

Bolands Landing is not a block nor block limit station in the employee timetable. It doesn't make any sense for two locations to have the same designation in the employee timetable.

Moriches is on the former Sag Harbor Branch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moriches_%28LIRR_Sag_Harbor_station%29

And yes, Boland's Landing is not a block limit station, if falls under the DUNTON interlocking (westbound platform only). But since 1910, long before the station was *officially* called BL, it is referred to as LD. Maybe not on the employee timetable but outside of that, yes.

• 2 weeks later...

The Penn Interlockings date all the way back to the PRR days, so I'm not exactly sure how their names came to be (it might have just been A, B, C, D for the alphabet at some point and B and D were changed to KN and JO, but I'm not sure).

I am also unsure how "40 Office" got its name.  40 foot shipping containers are often used for offices, so maybe that's where the name originated from ;)

The Penn Interlockings date all the way back to the PRR days, so I'm not exactly sure how their names came to be (it might have just been A, B, C, D for the alphabet at some point and B and D were changed to KN and JO, but I'm not sure).

That makes sense. There used to be F Tower in Queens. I'm not sure but I think it controlled access to Sunnyside and Gate interlocking on the Hell Gate Line. A towerman caused a fatal head-on collision on the Hell Gate Line.

Any others?

It's interesting that the ETT lists stations that don't exist anymore, e.g. Calverton, Manorville.

It's interesting that the ETT lists stations that don't exist anymore, e.g. Calverton, Manorville.

They may not be "stations" in the passenger sense, but they're "stations" as in block stations or other predefined, named points along the line.

Archived