Is Metro-North's system antiquated?

Via Garibaldi 8

Metro-North signal glitch leaves riders stranded for two hours
Service was finally restored about 9:30 p.m. Thursday after electricians scrambled to hook up temporary power to the main computer system as the Hudson, Harlem and New Haven lines came to a halt. The snafu had cut off power to the main rail control center at Grand Central Terminal, officials said. Amtrak was also affected.
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS PUBLISHED: THURSDAY, JANUARY 23, 2014, 9:01 PM UPDATED: FRIDAY, JANUARY 24, 2014, 3:32 AM
article-trains3-0123.jpg

The crowd at Grand Central grows as a signal problem caused all Metro-North trains to halt. 

Metro-North Railroad commuters faced a hellish ride home Thursday night as a giant signal snafu left them stranded at stations and stuck on trains for two hours before service was finally restored.

Three of the five lines on the problem-plagued railroad system — Hudson, Harlem and New Haven — ground to a halt because the main rail control center at Grand Central Terminal lost electricity, officials said. Amtrak service was also affected.

Electricians scrambled to hook up temporary power to the main computer system, accomplishing the feat at about 9:30 p.m., as weary passengers waited out their misery.

Every train on the tracks was directed to go to the nearest station or stop before the nearest interlocking junction about 7:45 p.m. -- and they were still idle an hour later.

metro-north-service-back.jpg ANTHONY DELMUNDO/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS A Metro-North train at the Spuyten Duyvil station.

“We were about five minutes out of the station, and we just sat there,” said Jason Scott, who was headed north to Croton-on-Hudson on the 7:25 p.m. express train before he got stranded at the Harlem 125th St. stop. Outgoing trains had to reverse course and back into the station.

“(The workers) just kept saying, ‘We don’t know anything, sorry for the inconvenience,’” Scott recalled.

A railroad spokesman couldn’t say how many trains were on the Harlem, Hudson and New Haven lines, or how many passengers were affected. The trains had electricity and heat, but some chilled commuters said the doors kept opening and closing while they were stalled.

“It was tense and uncomfortable,” griped Katie Dalton, 19, who was also stuck in Harlem.

article-trains-0123.jpg ERIC BARROW/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Frustrated commuters jam Grand Central Terminal Thursday evening after a signal problem stopped trains from going in or out of New York's busiest train terminal.

RELATED: METRO-NORTH RIDERS STRANDED FOR TWO HOURS IN COLD

Inconvenienced travelers poured into Grand Central, where they commiserated over the standstill.

“It’s a computer glitch -- can’t they just reboot the system?” asked Henry Fulgente, 22, who was trying to get back to Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry, Westchester County. “They should have been better prepared. How about a backup system?”

Others took to Twitter to empathize with commuters — and one got in a dig at the governor of New Jersey for another recent transportation nightmare.

article-trains1-0123.jpg
ERIC BARROW/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS The board at Grand Central station where a signal problem stopped trains from going in or out of New York's busiest train terminal.

“Did a Christie aide just say time for train delays? #metronorth,” wrote user Nick Friese, poking fun at Gov. Chris Christie for his underling’s shocking text message that revealed intentional lane closures and traffic delays on the George Washington Bridge as political retribution.

Another Twitter user wrote, “Good god Metro-North, what the hell happened to you?? You used to be the best of NY’s commuter RRs; now you make the LIRR and NJT look good.”

The signal snag is the latest in a string of major problems for Metro-North, which is under increased federal scrutiny because of a series of accidents last year, including a train derailment in December that killed four riders.

Stan Kolbasiuk, who was heading to Stamford, Conn., before getting stranded at Grand Central Thursday night, said the railroad needs to get back on track.

“I’m a pretty patient guy, but all of the screw-ups this year and last year are too much,” said Kolbasiuk, 54, who tried to take the latest foul-up in stride.

“I went to have a drink,” he said. “What are you going to do? You don’t have a choice but to wait.”

clestch@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/metro-north-railroad-standstill-power-glitch-shuts-control-center-article-1.1589754#ixzz2rKXvxkLf

When a RR is more focus on filling useless positions with usesless bosses instead of focusing on serving the public . This is the kind of things that take place.Same thing is happening over here. Read that Daily News article on what Metro North managers have been up too. Trim the FAT!!

When a RR is more focus on filling useless positions with usesless bosses instead of focusing on serving the public . This is the kind of things that take place.Same thing is happening over here. Read that Daily News article on what Metro North managers have been up too. Trim the FAT!!

lol... I have to wonder why they didn't have a backup system in place knowing that the one that they currently have runs all three lines.  Yes, Metro-North is generally reliable, but they're starting to seem much more like the LIRR... Overpriced and unreliable.  I have cut back my trips on Metro-North considerably since the whole accident at the Spuyten Duyvil station, which left me uneasy and leery about their stance on safety and accountability.  I take an earlier express bus in the morning, get a nice nap and keep the $30+ dollars a week I was spending in my pocket.  Having a nice lunch with that money today.  

I don't know why Metro-North has imploded over the last year, but some serious review and fixes need to happen. If it means they're underfunded, get the state to kick in some funds. If its just bad management, clear out the top guys and fix it!

http://new.mta.info/news/2014/01/24/cause-metro-north-disruption-identified

The computers that run the railroad’s signal system lost reliable power at 7:45 p.m. when one of two main power supply units was taken out of service for replacement. Technicians performing the work did not realize that a wire was disconnected on the other main power supply unit. This destabilized the power supply system for more than an hour until a backup supply could be connected.

I don't know why Metro-North has imploded over the last year, but some serious review and fixes need to happen. If it means they're underfunded, get the state to kick in some funds. If its just bad management, clear out the top guys and fix it!

This being New York, both are true, but when push comes to shove only the latter is going to be done.

The cause of this project is becoming an all too familiar one--sloppy contractors.  A contractor did some sloppy work and train service was brought to a halt.  This incident was caused by crews who did not ensure the second main power supply was functioning before taking the first one offline.  Last Monday (not MLK day, but the day before), crews working in HAROLD interlocking construing a new signal housing for the East Side Access project clipped some signal wires and caused a mid-morning suspension of service until the mess could be straightened out.   In early September, crews digging trenches near F interlocking in Queens knocked out the power to the signals in two of the four East River Tunnels in the middle of the evening rush, causing tons of delays.  Later that month, ConEdison contractors were blamed for knocking out a transmission line that gave New Haven Line riders a huge punch in the gut.

In the past few months, incidents involving contractors messing up some piece of railroad infrastructure have become more and more common.  Who's to blame?  Is the MTA not supplying enough information to the contractors so they can safely accomplish the jobs they are supposed to do or are these contractors cutting corners in the hope of maximizing their profits? It could also be the need to go with the "lowest bidder" also means "lowest quality."  While "diversifying the bidding process" might be nice for the bottom line, it also invites otherwise under-qualified bidders to take a stab at simple-looking procurements like these.  You get what you pay for, I guess.

The MTA has long relied on outside contractors to handle the bulk of their work since they do not have the proper crews for capital projects themselves.  Perhaps it's even time for the MTA to start distancing themselves from contractors.  If the MTA got their own workforces who are trained to properly and safely work around MTA property (and they would be more familiar with that property), perhaps these incidents will occur less frequently.   They might also be less subject to delays and overruns since the agency would have direct control over the project.  Over the next five seven or more years there will be plenty of capital projects going on on the MTA system, so perhaps it should be something they should be looking into.

Up until this point, the consequences of sloppy contractors have just been some delays and cancellations.  Let's not wait until a mistake by one of these contractors injures or kills one or more passengers one of these days...

Unfortunately that's the nature of transit systems. They age they become older and they become harder to manage.... And of course when there's not problem with one thing it's with another..... :( Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Although this topic is about MNRR, your post hits it right on the nail. Its not like this is only happening in the USA...

Unfortunately that's the nature of transit systems. They age they become older and they become harder to manage.... And of course when there's not problem with one thing it's with another..... :( Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Although this topic is about MNRR, your post hits it right on the nail. Its not like this is only happening in the USA...

When I say the nature of transit systems I don't just center then in the US. Any transit system in the world.

The cause of this project is becoming an all too familiar one--sloppy contractors.  A contractor did some sloppy work and train service was brought to a halt.  This incident was caused by crews who did not ensure the second main power supply was functioning before taking the first one offline.  Last Monday (not MLK day, but the day before), crews working in HAROLD interlocking construing a new signal housing for the East Side Access project clipped some signal wires and caused a mid-morning suspension of service until the mess could be straightened out.   In early September, crews digging trenches near F interlocking in Queens knocked out the power to the signals in two of the four East River Tunnels in the middle of the evening rush, causing tons of delays.  Later that month, ConEdison contractors were blamed for knocking out a transmission line that gave New Haven Line riders a huge punch in the gut.

In the past few months, incidents involving contractors messing up some piece of railroad infrastructure have become more and more common.  Who's to blame?  Is the MTA not supplying enough information to the contractors so they can safely accomplish the jobs they are supposed to do or are these contractors cutting corners in the hope of maximizing their profits? It could also be the need to go with the "lowest bidder" also means "lowest quality."  While "diversifying the bidding process" might be nice for the bottom line, it also invites otherwise under-qualified bidders to take a stab at simple-looking procurements like these.  You get what you pay for, I guess.

The MTA has long relied on outside contractors to handle the bulk of their work since they do not have the proper crews for capital projects themselves.  Perhaps it's even time for the MTA to start distancing themselves from contractors.  If the MTA got their own workforces who are trained to properly and safely work around MTA property (and they would be more familiar with that property), perhaps these incidents will occur less frequently.   They might also be less subject to delays and overruns since the agency would have direct control over the project.  Over the next five seven or more years there will be plenty of capital projects going on on the MTA system, so perhaps it should be something they should be looking into.

Up until this point, the consequences of sloppy contractors have just been some delays and cancellations.  Let's not wait until a mistake by one of these contractors injures or kills one or more passengers one of these days...

Hey, at least we're not London, where contractors actually managed to pour concrete into a relay room and destroy everything.

In this current case, It amazes me that these contractors were even permitted to be doing this type of major computer repair at a time when trains are still being used very heavily. Why were they not doing this repair at 11 pm, midnight, etc??

I meant to upvote ya sorry. Well it's not like they had alternatives I-87 is as bad. God be with those needing dutchess county and Putnam.

I meant to upvote ya sorry. Well it's not like they had alternatives I-87 is as bad. God be with those needing dutchess county and Putnam.

Even though Dutchess can t even manage their own bus system. Have you seen those buses? As much as a bus fan as I am, I wouldnt even be thinking of boarding one of their buses... Not to mention the fact that LOOP is crap when it comes to frequencies and routing anyway...

Archived