More headaches for G train riders

Harry

post-5097-0-31259600-1395409398_thumb.jpg
The (G) train actually could be worse, it turns out. The (MTA) announced Tuesday that trains won’t run between Nassau Ave. and Court Square for five weeks beginning July 28, consigning the battered line’s 125,000 average weekday riders to shuttle buses running between Brooklyn and Queens. More than 3 million gallons of salt water flooded the (G) train’s tunnels during Superstorm Sandy, said the MTA, which will use the closure to make repairs to tracks, signals and electrical equipment, said MTA spokeswoman Marisa Baldeo. “This critical maintenance work was scheduled during this time period because it’s the weeks when the (G) line has the lowest ridership,” she wrote in an email.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-31259600-1395409398_thumb.jpg

This isn't exactly news. The MTA has always stated that the G will be shut down north of Nassau Av for five continuous weeks for Hurricane Sandy-related work. It was on their Fix & Fortify page all of last year.

The average passenger doesn't even read the "NO BROOKLYN BOUND TRAINS" sign taped to the column that they're leaning against.

lol... What I'm always amazed by is how people just get on a train and don't even know where it's going. I see this on the Lex Line with diverted (2) trains and on the 7th Avenue line with diverted (5) trains.

This isn't exactly news. The MTA has always stated that the G will be shut down north of Nassau Av for five continuous weeks for Hurricane Sandy-related work. It was on their Fix & Fortify page all of last year.

Are they gonna add a "Brooklyn/Nassau Av' rollsign to the 68/A rollsigns?I dont see any spare 160s sitting around,do you? :lol:

The average passenger doesn't even read the "NO BROOKLYN BOUND TRAINS" sign taped to the column that they're leaning against.

Agreed. Last time, I saw like 50 guys waiting at Bleeker for the (F)! It was rerouted that day.

Just a simple hello to everyone here.

If they plan to do this with the (G), then they should borrow some R160's from the (F) or (R) like they did back in 2010 and do a swap of R68 cars with 160 sets for the mean time

Why? What would be different by running 160s instead of the 68s?

lol... What I'm always amazed by is how people just get on a train and don't even know where it's going. I see this on the Lex Line with diverted (2) trains and on the 7th Avenue line with diverted (5) trains.

People that don't know the subway just get me aggy period. I'm not saying know as much as we do but put those $800 smartphones & tablets and follow up on service changes. Rich Willamsburg Jerks. And what really f**ks with me is that people are knowlegeable the most on things that are even stupider than the subway. But oh well lol.

Just some r160's to program to Greenpoint because there is no rollsign to Nassau/ (G)reenpoint.

I doubt there's an option in the 160s for the G to Greenpoint Av. The MTA will likely just put paper signs in the windows indicating terminals like they did on several lines after Hurricane Sandy.

Agreed. Last time, I saw like 50 guys waiting at Bleeker for the (F)! It was rerouted that day.

Just a simple hello to everyone here.

I saw a guy waiting for the A/C at Canal st when the signs posted said "No (A) / (C) trains at this station, take the (E) to West 4th street for (A) / (C) service"

The (E) train came and I told him were no (A) or (C) trains and he just stood there, I had to point to the sign for him to read it to be like "oh".  :rolleyes:

Just some r160's to program to Greenpoint because there is no rollsign to Nassau/ (G)reenpoint.

Why, if the sign says Court Square instead of Nassau Ave, customers will refuse to leave the train and get on the bus? Sounds like you're just stretching for any excuse to see R160's on a new line.

I doubt there's an option in the 160s for the G to Greenpoint Av. The MTA will likely just put paper signs in the windows indicating terminals like they did on several lines after Hurricane Sandy.

No, but there is a Nassau Ave program, WHICH IS WHERE THE (G) WILL BE TERMINATING as Greenpoint Ave will be used as a staging area for the work trains.

I saw a guy waiting for the A/C at Canal st when the signs posted said "No (A) / (C) trains at this station, take the (E) to West 4th street for (A) / (C) service"

The (E) train came and I told him were no (A) or (C) trains and he just stood there, I had to point to the sign for him to read it to be like "oh".  :rolleyes:

My favorite are these customers that want to argue with me when I tell them the service they want isn't running. "But the (A) ALWAYS stops here!" ..... what do I know, I just work here.....

No, but there is a Nassau Ave program, WHICH IS WHERE THE (G) WILL BE TERMINATING as Greenpoint Ave will be used as a staging area for the work trains.

Whatever. It's still not a good enough reason to put the 160s on the G. If they didn't put them on Crosstown for the logical OPTO reasons, I doubt they put them there simply because the trains have correct signs.

While displacing R160s isn't reasonable, the signs must read properly. Mismatched or false signs are the reason some don't bother to read them, they aren't accurate. Just like if last week's go poster isn't taken down people will habitually ignore the signs. Having ride many Broad St bound (j)s on Saturday it's easy to not look.

Archived