Transit cops busting more panhandlers

Harry

post-5097-0-78555000-1395844393_thumb.jpg
Beggars, dancers, subway musicians and hawkers be warned: the NYPD has ramped up arrests of panhandlers and peddlers, according to new (MTA) figures presented to the board Monday. Police officers have 345 panhandling and peddler arrests under their belts this year, a 174% increase from the same period in 2013, Chief of Transit Joseph Fox told the MTA board. "Our enforcement of quality-of-life offenses remains strong," Fox said. Panhandling made up most of the quality-of-life collars, with 256 arrests this year, compared to 77 over the same time in 2013. There were 89 peddlers--vendors who hawk churros, DVDs or batteries, for instance -- busted by transit police this year, nearly double the amount last year.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-78555000-1395844393_thumb.jpg

They need to ramp up their efforts because they are growing at an alarming rate, and they're going to wind up hurting someone, or better yet, someone will wind up hurting them, especially those crazy "dancers".  <_< I was on a Southbound (A) train the other night. This guy did some crazy move and almost kicked a passenger in the face.  If it were me I would've knocked the guy out.  Total lack of respect and disregard.  Let them get a real job instead of breakdancing on crowded trains. The same goes for the candy sellers who "ain't selling no candy for no basketball team".  Sell the candy outside and stop trying to trap people stuck in subway cars and shake them down for money.

Here's another interesting article:

http://nypost.com/2014/03/04/bratton-plans-late-night-subway-rides-to-check-on-homelessness/

They need to ramp up their efforts because they are growing at an alarming rate, and they're going to wind up hurting someone, or better yet, someone will wind up hurting them, especially those crazy "dancers".  <_< I was on a Southbound (A) train the other night. This guy did some crazy move and almost kicked a passenger in the face.  If it were me I would've knocked the guy out.  Total lack of respect and disregard.  Let them get a real job instead of breakdancing on crowded trains. The same goes for the candy sellers who "ain't selling no candy for no basketball team".  Sell the candy outside and stop trying to trap people stuck in subway cars and shake them down for money.

http://nypost.com/2014/03/04/bratton-plans-late-night-subway-rides-to-check-on-homelessness/

I know exactly what u mean..I almost got kick in the face while i was riding a Northbound  (A) going to Harlem...

I know exactly what u mean..I almost got kick in the face while i was riding a Northbound  (A) going to Harlem...

You know I really wish that the people that are in awe of these reckless folks (i.e. tourists and other naïve types) get kicked just once and then they will stop enabling them by giving them money for these crazy acts.

Its called selective enforcement.  Instead of locking them up all the time they allow the problem to grow then want a pat on the back for doing what they should of done in the first place.  Rudy for all his strengths and weaknesses had it right, lock them up for everything and crime and incidents in the subways dropped significantly. 

Its called selective enforcement.  Instead of locking them up all the time they allow the problem to grow then want a pat on the back for doing what they should of done in the first place.  Rudy for all his strengths and weaknesses had it right, lock them up for everything and crime and incidents in the subways dropped significantly. 

Well people cried about "Stop & Frisk" so racist <_< which meant that the cops took a less aggressive approach for petty crimes and now this is what we have.  You can thank de Blasio and the crew for this nonsense.

The subway is a public space for everyone to use. If the US raised minimum wage, provided social services for those in need, and fixed the health care system, then you wouldn't see homeless people, kids dancing, or people selling snacks on the platforms.

The subway is a public space for everyone to use. If the US raised minimum wage, provided social services for those in need, and fixed the health care system, then you wouldn't see homeless people, kids dancing, or people selling snacks on the platforms.

Are you kidding me? The rules in the subway are dictated by the (MTA), and the (MTA) makes it very clear that kids break dancing, panhandlers and the like are illegal in every way shape and form.

You want to fix the healthcare system then get the lawyers out of it.  Look an average doctor is paying about a quarter mill a year in malpractice premiums.  Which is 5 grand a week before he sees one dime coming to him.  I have a small hospital near me in Pa which reported they had to pay 5 million  for malpractice  and this is only 80 beds which means the rates have to be 150 higher to cover insurance costs per day.  Because everybody has gone into defensive mode everybody takes their own set of tests to CYA which add another 30% to the bill.  I remember back before New York had no-fault auto insurance. and premiums were rising til the people got pissed  and they reformed the law and the premiums dropped over 40%  The only group fighting it were the trial lawyers as they had a cash cow.

The minimum wage is for entry position jobs where they have no skills or experience. Raise the rate and you will have less teenagers working at MickeyD's or other firms to get experience so they can climb the ladder.  The people selling snacks are scamming the system as no taxes are paid plus if you start checking the backgrounds you will find you are paying for them anyway thru social services.  As for the homeless many are either psychotic, addicted  or alcohol depended. but  remember you cleaned out the mental hospitals without followup and the nuts don't like the drugs and you can't make them take them unless in a hospital.  

When do people realize that just because they're are rules and laws that people actually follow then. The speed limit is 50 and you don't see people do 50.

Then why design roads that you can do  120 on safely which is what the modern standard is on an interstate.

That wasn't Rudy...

That was Bratton back then too...

Not true at all.

-Someone is always looking to defraud or abuse social services.

-Many people do not with to work or are incapable of holding employment. Raising minimum wage does nothing for them.

-Most people spend all the money they have - not because they need to, but because they choose to. It's how come you see welfare moms walking around with the new iPhone and paying at the grocery store with food stamps and using their EBT on cigarettes.

-Fixing the healthcare system will never occur with the current two party dog and pony show holding elected office. The solution is to simplify the system, not add subsidies, funding, programs, and other layers of complexity to it while still letting the same people make decisions who are running insurance companies that operate effectively as monopolies as long as employer provided health coverage continues.

I can understand the beggar and the Asian women selling bootleg movies,that has to be enforce, but musician and dancers? it what makes the Subway underground great and not so boring.

Uhh, no. When I take the train, I want to catch a few minutes worth of sleep, read a book, finish paperwork before heading off to work, etc. I don't want to be bothered by beggars, dancers, musicians or other annoying arse people. 99.9% of the public feels the same way.

Uhh, no. When I take the train, I want to catch a few minutes worth of sleep, read a book, finish paperwork before heading off to work, etc. I don't want to be bothered by beggars, dancers, musicians or other annoying arse people. 99.9% of the public feels the same way.

This....

I see enough people on the subway enjoying the dancers and musicians to believe its probably a numerical figure decently lower than 99.9%.

A. Remember how in English class, you learned about literary devices? Try looking back to the section of your notes on hyperboles.

B. Even though you see people enjoy it, most people don't. It may be entertaining once in a while, but after a long, exhausting day, I prefer a quiet train ride without having to worry about somebody kicking you in the face.

I see enough people on the subway enjoying the dancers and musicians to believe its probably a numerical figure decently lower than 99.9%.

lot lower.

Honestly, except for when I'm in a particularly bad mood, I like performers on the train. If not, I turn my music up. And I've never, ever had  a problem with station performers.

I had a guy on the (L) train so late the other night it seemed like a dream. He was a magician who came in with a cart and a live rabbit, performed a series of tricks without saying a word. Disturbed no one, left the car as silently as he came. Widest smiles I've ever seen in that car. Probably a thousand rules he broke about animals and the like and somebody like Bratton would have him arrested, but I like things like that,

lot lower.

Honestly, except for when I'm in a particularly bad mood, I like performers on the train. If not, I turn my music up. And I've never, ever had  a problem with station performers.

I had a guy on the (L) train so late the other night it seemed like a dream. He was a magician who came in with a cart and a live rabbit, performed a series of tricks without saying a word. Disturbed no one, left the car as silently as he came. Widest smiles I've ever seen in that car. Probably a thousand rules he broke about animals and the like and somebody like Bratton would have him arrested, but I like things like that,

The problem is that there's not a lot filtering the wheat from the chaff. There can be good performers; once, there was a man who made an entire (1) train car start singing Stand By Me in unison during the PM rush hour. However, the vast majority of performers and panhandlers are a nuisance, and some of them aren't even objectively decent.

A. Remember how in English class, you learned about literary devices? Try looking back to the section of your notes on hyperboles.

B. Even though you see people enjoy it, most people don't. It may be entertaining once in a while, but after a long, exhausting day, I prefer a quiet train ride without having to worry about somebody kicking you in the face.

I saw your hyperbole and raised you a whimsical remark. But I never believe myself so well versed in English that I can turn down a review session. Thanking you professor.

I also see your point about being kicked in the face ala performance error. But this is where I point out in my observation most of those guys seem to know better than to try their acrobatics in a car where you have little room to move your arm let alone dance. The worst thing for an entertainer is audience injury as that results in money lost.

As for how I feel about them...has anyone seen that barber shop quartet around? I wanna get them to perform at a surprise birthday party I wanna throw.

Archived