City bus jumps curb crashes into building, injuring five people

Harry

post-5097-0-98491800-1396628821_thumb.jpg
Five people miraculously escaped with only minor injuries when a city bus slammed into a Hamilton Heights building early Friday after getting into an accident with a minivan, authorities said. The incident occurred around 7:38 a.m. this morning, Fire Department sources said. It began when the minivan attempted to cut in front of the bus when the two hit one another, then jumped the curb , an MTA spokesman said. The bus then slammed into 3750 Broadway near W. 155th St. Two people were transported to Harlem Hospital and two people were taken to St. Luke's Hospital with minor injuries. A fifth person also sustained non-life-threatening injuries, Fire Department sources said. Two of those injured, a man and a woman, were pedestrians. The other pair were in the minivan.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-98491800-1396628821_thumb.jpg

Figures somebody was trying to cut off the bus and ended up causing the accident. Typical city drivers with no respect for bus operators.

I want to agree with that statement but I can't. It's a double-edged sword. There are numerous bus operators that has no respect/regard for drivers in the same sense. It's pretty much a revolving circle. (Driver cuts off bus, bus cuts off driver, driver cuts off bus) It's the same habit regarding drivers and other drivers.

Either way, hope everyone makes a quick recovery on this one.

Edit: Bus can be repaired, right? Not so bad?

Eh, that's iffy. Bus hit a concrete building hard, you can tell there's been some pretty serious frame damage up front. That's a big repair. Do-able, but this isn't gonna be a quick fix.

I want to agree with that statement but I can't. It's a double-edged sword. There are numerous bus operators that has no respect/regard for drivers in the same sense. It's pretty much a revolving circle. (Driver cuts off bus, bus cuts off driver, driver cuts off bus) It's the same habit regarding drivers and other drivers.

Either way, hope everyone makes a quick recovery on this one.

Yeah, bus operators still tend to be much better drivers than the general cretins we have on the road here. Taxis alone are terrible enough to wipe away any of the few bad bus operators.

I'm pretty sure it can be rebuilt. Remember that bus on the B15 that jumped the curb and plowed through about 5 or so cars while on the sidewalk (think it was either 6803, 05, or 06, forgot the number but it was caughtnon camera). It'll probably be out for some time

I'm pretty sure it can be rebuilt. Remember that bus on the B15 that jumped the curb and plowed through about 5 or so cars while on the sidewalk (think it was either 6803, 05, or 06, forgot the number but it was caughtnon camera). It'll probably be out for some time

Yeah, but that bus barely took any damage from all of that lol.

As an operator, the one thing I noticed about the offending drivers is what I call "little brother syndrome" in that they want to just stand up to the big bully on the block (bus)and cut in front in a slow merge (for example, both sides of the Lincoln Tunnel). End result sometimes is a black eye (figuratively speaking) for the little boy (car) in a fruitless and futile attempt for respect

As an operator, the one thing I noticed about the offending drivers is what I call "little brother syndrome" in that they want to just stand up to the big bully on the block (bus)and cut in front in a slow merge (for example, both sides of the Lincoln Tunnel). End result sometimes is a black eye (figuratively speaking) for the little boy (car) in a fruitless and futile attempt for respect

The weird part is that people are much less willing to play these sort of games with dump trucks or 18-wheelers, which everyone can accept is dangerous.

Im sure at Eastchester a toasted Orion VII CNG bus could give its nose and some parts to that poor 6372 bus.

They changed the front of 133 with the old 133's front. They may do that to this bus but the bus is 11 years old and plus its a low floor so it the frame could be damaged for good. I think another hybrid about 2 years ago got into an accident was scrapped. These hybrids are bad luck with now 5 being scrapped and or out of service. I know 3741, 6853 were scrapped because of fire damage.

They changed the front of 133 with the old 133's front. They may do that to this bus but the bus is 11 years old and plus its a low floor so it the frame could be damaged for good. I think another hybrid about 2 years ago got into an accident was scrapped. These hybrids are bad luck with now 5 being scrapped and or out of service. I know 3741, 6853 were scrapped because of fire damage.

They could always use the front of 7672

This is how I think of it. A bus is larger than a car just let it go. It makes no sense trying to fight with a bus.

I hope the MTA doesn't scrap that bus but it is a low floor bus and its 11 years old.

And it just got repainted.

• 4 weeks later...

That bus is sitting @ my depot. The start of the chassis (right at the white line) is buckled and there's a distinct lump in the floor. Seems like a scrap to me. Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I saw it last week when I went to pick up some parts from MTV, didn't get real close though. The damage to the frame is close enough to the front, it can be fixed.

Archived