Newark Liberty International Airport Station Closed - Beginning Thursday, May 1, 2014

BM5 via Woodhaven

Shuttle Bus Service to Airport Terminals

Beginning Thursday, May 1 and continuing through summer, AirTrain service will be suspended to allow for Port Authority of NYNJ to perform repair work to the airport rail system.  As a result, Newark Liberty International Airport Station also will be closed.

During this time, substitute shuttle bus service will be provided between Newark Penn Station (NPS) and all three airport terminals (A, B, C). 

Please Note:

• Customers should purchase roundtrip tickets from their originating station to the airport.
  • Shuttle bus is free with any airport ticket/pass.
  • Customers WITHOUT an airport ticket/pass must purchase an “access fee” ticket at a Ticket Vending Machine near the exit to Raymond Plaza West before boarding.
  • Ticket Office and Ticket Vending Machines also are available in NPS main waiting room.
  • Tickets will be inspected/collected when boarding the shuttle bus.
  • The shuttle service will operate on a “load-and-go” basis.

For more information, visit PANYNJ.gov.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=ServiceAdjustmentTo&AdjustmentId=10864

http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/npsmap.pdf

The buses for anyone interested are not NJT but Port Authority buses and the only Orion VII first gen diesels and hybrids in the state, operated by Academy... like these:

Only the first one's from EWR, last 2 are from JFK but they're the same buses (different company runs them at JFK though). I don't know exactly how many O7s Academy has to cover all these shuttles, they're able to cover AirTrain outages at JFK since they have over 40 buses but I don't know how much there are at Academy/EWR has (they're stored next to the old Daimler service center off the Turnpike in Secaucus). My guess is you could see buses from JFK get moved to EWR (LGA's are all 35 feet, they're short already, and they only have 7) or see Academy's other buses go out (possibly ex-Rutgers RTS/LFSes or D60LFs, doubt we'll see MCIs or NABIs) if they don't have enough Orions to cover everything.

Im sure if Academy could use its own fleet if there is not enough PANYNJ owned buses for the service

Penn Station is going to be straight up crowded when this happens let me tell you......

I would think the D60LFs coming out is a possibility, especially during rush hour. Gonna be a mess for sure with the 40 footers.

I would think the D60LFs coming out is a possibility, especially during rush hour. Gonna be a mess for sure with the 40 footers.

How many are left in NJ? I know they moved some up to MA for a contract and had a few up for sale.

Or maybe NJT pulls more buses out of storage....

Would be nice to get one last RTS ride and some pics of the NJT fleet

• 2 months later...

Archived