MTA asking former T/O's to come out of retirement

User

Sounds like a good deal to me if I was recently retired and wanted a few extra bucks. It might mess up your taxes and social security benefits for the year, though. On the other hand, if I was a TO, it would probably be fun to come back for a short time and see the system again.

Interesting. They are actually considering doing this with teachers in the NYDOE, because they cant find qualified teachers quickly enough in the public schools (I have teachers in my family plus did tech work for the schools so I know.) Now that I think about it is this a similar situation here? With the rookie T/Os hence the calling back of retired RTO personnel? 

Interesting. They are actually considering doing this with teachers in the NYDOE, because they cant find qualified teachers quickly enough in the public schools (I have teachers in my family plus did tech work for the schools so I know.) Now that I think about it is this a similar situation here? With the rookie T/Os hence the calling back of retired RTO personnel? 

It's a little different with teachers, since there's a large exodus of experienced teachers to greener pastures. Surrounding districts like Westchester will easily offer double the salary for a good teacher, and a lot of the older guard is turned off by how hard New York City in particular got hit with the standardized testing craze.

It's a little different with teachers, since there's a large exodus of experienced teachers to greener pastures. Surrounding districts like Westchester will easily offer double the salary for a good teacher, and a lot of the older guard is turned off by how hard New York City in particular got hit with the standardized testing craze.

Thats good information. I will keep that in mind with my colleagues in the NYDOE. Many thanks.

Not to mention the problems Bloomberg caused by forcing hard working teachers out of the NYDOE by means of attrition, tenured teachers at that.

The same affect will be like it was last time..

Minimal...

Soon as you leave this meat grinder you want no part of it unless you really really really really need the money.

Unsure if this is thats the way it works in the MTA if you may if you can correct me if I may be missing the mark here, but in the NYDOE as I was stating above, they are forcing tenured teachers out on early retirement then they are substituting at only half the pay. Therefore I suspect in a way that the MTA is trying to downsize in a similar way by avoiding to hire new recruits and dodging having to offer benefits and protection from the TWU. I mean as it is there was reports of retirees being denied health benefits I have read some time ago. Is this really the case with the MTA and the reason why they are forwarding such letters to retired RTO personnel?

Oh gosh... Is it time for me to start rethinking my career?

No. Go for it. But its always good to have a plan B. there are no guarantees in life in a vicious job market public or private sector. But let the MTA workers tell you that. Out of my scope here.

Unsure if this is thats the way it works in the MTA if you may if you can correct me if I may be missing the mark here, but in the NYDOE as I was stating above, they are forcing tenured teachers out on early retirement then they are substituting at only half the pay. Therefore I suspect in a way that the MTA is trying to downsize in a similar way by avoiding to hire new recruits and dodging having to offer benefits and protection from the TWU. I mean as it is there was reports of retirees being denied health benefits I have read some time ago. Is this really the case with the MTA and the reason why they are forwarding such letters to retired RTO personnel?

More like Paying For Overtime to cover Jobs is hitting them in the pocket.

So bring folks back to help with the shortage which again didn't really put a dent in it the last time.

That Extra extra list got tore up with TOs on probation Picking Jobs...

No. Go for it. But its always good to have a plan B. there are no guarantees in life in a vicious job market public or private sector. But let the MTA workers tell you that. Out of my scope here.

He was being sarcastic...

More like Paying For Overtime to cover Jobs is hitting them in the pocket.

So bring folks back to help with the shortage which again didn't really put a dent in it the last time.

That Extra extra list got tore up with TOs on probation Picking Jobs...

Ahh I see. Now I get it. Sucks though because there is money in making overtime on top of the high salaries T/O's make as it is. You guys come close to nurses in terms of wage actually.

He was being sarcastic...

Oh yeah forgot. Let me flip on that sarcasm detector switch...

The same affect will be like it was last time..

Minimal...

Soon as you leave this meat grinder you want no part of it unless you really really really really need the money.

I read and re-read the OP and I knew I'd seen/heard of this before. It was last year when the Daily News had an article about this and my C/R called me about it. We both had to laugh at the idea because RTOman hit the nail on the head. I have much love for my co-workers, including many supervisors, but you can keep the job. The conditions and morale were on a steady decline well before I left and from what I hear things haven't improved. I got my letter this am and I read it thoroughly. My fellow RTO brothers and sisters will understand what I'm about to say. First of all, I am not a "railfan" or "buff". I consider myself an amateur historian of NYCTA if anyrhing. I have ridden trains to stations on lines that no longer exist in equipment that is only found in museums or old photos. There is no reason for me to look for an R32 car on any B division line at any time. Been there, done that, when the " Brightliners" were introduced. I do not care about R188 equipment any more than I care about an R142A. Basically, IMO, they are one and the same until the CBTC system is up and running. I have no particular love for any piece of bus, subway, or rail equipment. If a Triplex or BMT Standard pulled into Prospect Park or DeKalb Avenue I would be delighted but I wouldn't go looking for that consist. I was just a regular guy doing a job I was taught to do by professionals. That being said NYCT proposes to re-train me, issue me a new pass, and put me back on the road midnights or PMs, on weekends, for up to 90 days. I thought about calling the (MTA) Inspector General and telling them to send the person in Human Resources for a BAT. Maybe a better course of action for the (MTA) is to canvas the Transit Museum and offer the deal to some of the fans who frequent there. They'd probably garner more interest from the fans down there who might enjoy the "temp" job. It looks to me that the (MTA) targeted my group because they're already paying "lifetime" health benefits to us so why hire new fulltime employees. Just my opinion though. If there is a former employee who must take this offer you have my condolences. No hard feelings .Carry on.

Not to mention being older, and likely health going down, they are going to be ridiculously on top of it, and probably sending you to the MAC all the time.

I didn't even think about the tours and days issues. What I did remember hearing the last time was the danger of messing up and losing your pension.

Really sounds like it's not worth it. Maybe if it were a part time thing, and you maintained some sort of seniority.

What do you consider high?

Well as a nursing student in college I can start at 40 dollars an hour, thats the usual start rate. And thats only perdiem. If it is a unionized position, 1199 coverage, upwards to 50 dollars an hour. My understanding is that T/Os are making about 40 dollars an hour after three years if not more, with a salary of $95,000 dollars yearly, which is incredible. Nurses will make about the same amount of money.

Thats why I am leaving the IT field to seek better opportunities but thats another story.

Well as a nursing student in college I can start at 40 dollars an hour, thats the usual start rate. And thats only perdiem. If it is a unionized position, 1199 coverage, upwards to 50 dollars an hour. My understanding is that T/Os are making about 40 dollars an hour after three years if not more, with a salary of $95,000 dollars yearly, which is incredible. Nurses will make about the same amount of money.

Thats why I am leaving the IT field to seek better opportunities but thats another story.

LMAO i wish we was making 40 dollars an hr...

Where did you get this Old wives tale from???

Or maybe you are being sarcastic!

I read and re-read the OP and I knew I'd seen/heard of this before. It was last year when the Daily News had an article about this and my C/R called me about it. We both had to laugh at the idea because RTOman hit the nail on the head. I have much love for my co-workers, including many supervisors, but you can keep the job. The conditions and morale were on a steady decline well before I left and from what I hear things haven't improved. I got my letter this am and I read it thoroughly. My fellow RTO brothers and sisters will understand what I'm about to say. First of all, I am not a "railfan" or "buff". I consider myself an amateur historian of NYCTA if anyrhing. I have ridden trains to stations on lines that no longer exist in equipment that is only found in museums or old photos. There is no reason for me to look for an R32 car on any B division line at any time. Been there, done that, when the " Brightliners" were introduced. I do not care about R188 equipment any more than I care about an R142A. Basically, IMO, they are one and the same until the CBTC system is up and running. I have no particular love for any piece of bus, subway, or rail equipment. If a Triplex or BMT Standard pulled into Prospect Park or DeKalb Avenue I would be delighted but I wouldn't go looking for that consist. I was just a regular guy doing a job I was taught to do by professionals. That being said NYCT proposes to re-train me, issue me a new pass, and put me back on the road midnights or PMs, on weekends, for up to 90 days. I thought about calling the (MTA) Inspector General and telling them to send the person in Human Resources for a BAT. Maybe a better course of action for the (MTA) is to canvas the Transit Museum and offer the deal to some of the fans who frequent there. They'd probably garner more interest from the fans down there who might enjoy the "temp" job. It looks to me that the (MTA) targeted my group because they're already paying "lifetime" health benefits to us so why hire new fulltime employees. Just my opinion though. If there is a former employee who must take this offer you have my condolences. No hard feelings .Carry on.

Actually I think this is a great idea (not just because I'm a buff). Give this opportunity to railfans who frequent the museum, hell you wouldn't even have to pay them just give them a free transit pass and assign them to tech route, BUT there would have to be a way to distinguish the sane from the coo-coo, We sure as hell wouldn't want to give this responsibility  to "railfans" like the ones who rode the 32 (R)

Archived