World's Dumbest... Subway Commuter at the 86th St (Lexington Avenue) Station

ACEVE14

While I was waiting for an uptown (6) Train to take to 125th St, some idiotic black dude with the blue-ish, purple-ish plaid shirt and a black bookbag jumped off the uptown platform and crossed through the tracks to the downtown side without taking the (6) one stop up to 96th St and cross over to the downtown train. Lucky for me (and him), he was able to get himself up on the downtown platform before heading downstairs to the Brooklyn-bound (4)(5) platform. This is why there was suppose to be a law where platform screen doors should be added to every subway station in the 4 boroughs (elevated, open cut, at-grade, or underground), not only that, the guy who jumped down onto the tracks should have been arrested by the cops right on the spot.

While I was waiting for an uptown (6) Train to take to 125th St, some idiotic black dude with the blue-ish, purple-ish plaid shirt and a black bookbag jumped off the uptown platform and crossed through the tracks to the downtown side without taking the (6) one stop up to 96th St and cross over to the downtown train. Lucky for me (and him), he was able to get himself up on the downtown platform before heading downstairs to the Brooklyn-bound (4)(5) platform. This is why there was suppose to be a law where platform screen doors should be added to every subway station in the 4 boroughs (elevated, open cut, at-grade, or underground), not only that, the guy who jumped down onto the tracks should have been arrested by the cops right on the spot.

Jesus christ, again with the platform doors spiel? It doesn't work because the different cars have different door positions, and because getting a set of automatic doors to align with a human-operated train 100% of the time is simply not possible.

I would agree with the above point... It only works over here in the UK (London) because the trains that stop at the platform doors are only one train (jubilee line trains) it would probably work at stations where only one type of train serves the platform.

In london a lot of stations have a platform per line which is how it works.

Jesus christ, again with the platform doors spiel? It doesn't work because the different cars have different door positions, and because getting a set of automatic doors to align with a human-operated train 100% of the time is simply not possible.

Thank you! We simply don't need them as they will create a whole mess in the system. A few examples as to not needing them is when people have luggage, heavy packages/items, pets, and bicycles.

And about the guy, he should be charged for that. But, in HIS way of common sense, he wanted to cross over instead of waiting for another train. He might have gotten in the wrong side (i.e. To Bronx, but, accidentally went on a Brooklyn bound (2)(3)(4)(5) train, etc.). Also, I love I.E.'s!

What about an homogenisation of doors position in the future trains?

Tokyo has several urban/suburban train companies but cars have all about the same size.

For New York subway, you need just two sizes for cars, one for IRT and the one for BMT, IND.

platform door is necessary for this type of behavior. Anyway the IRT can get the platform door because they are all same size. The BMT and IND is little problem for now unless they are all 60 foot cars that can match the doors. 

Let me guess why he did it: he was meaning to go downtown, but accidentally entered the platform area for the Bronx-bound trains. Still does not justify what he did. But still, that is a crazy idea to follow through with. I once got in the same situation at Nostrand Avenue and it never ever entered my mind to do the dumb thing he did.

What about an homogenisation of doors position in the future trains?
Tokyo has several urban/suburban train companies but cars have all about the same size.
For New York subway, you need just two sizes for cars, one for IRT and the one for BMT, IND.

The problem is that the last non-NTT cars won't be retired until the 2020s or 2030s. Only until all the last non-standard cars are retired can we actually put in PSDs.

Do PSDs work on lines without partial or complete automation? I can't think of a place with just human operators and PSDs.

the issue with the doors has mutilple parts. For example, The main sections of the IND Trunks need to cope with serving 8 car 75 footers, 10 car 60 footers and 8 car 60 footers. The doors would need to know what is going to platform and where, and the system would need to be 100% fool proof.

I do also foresee people vandalizing these doors severely.

I once got in the same situation at Nostrand Avenue and it never ever entered my mind to do the dumb thing he did.

I did too, and while I wouldn't do it, either, getting stuck at Nostrand is extremely frustrating. 

While I was waiting for an uptown (6) Train to take to 125th St, some idiotic black dude with the blue-ish, purple-ish plaid shirt and a black bookbag jumped off the uptown platform and crossed through the tracks to the downtown side without taking the (6) one stop up to 96th St and cross over to the downtown train. Lucky for me (and him), he was able to get himself up on the downtown platform before heading downstairs to the Brooklyn-bound (4)(5) platform......

Lucky for you, for what?

It would be completely feasible on many lines. The London Underground only has platform doors on some lines, and we could very easily have platform doors on the (L) or the (7) or some such line. As for the second part, operators tend to hit the mark pretty well, and in other cities this is not a problem so I don't see why it would be here--our ops aren't any less capable.

the issue with the doors has mutilple parts. For example, The main sections of the IND Trunks need to cope with serving 8 car 75 footers, 10 car 60 footers and 8 car 60 footers. The doors would need to know what is going to platform and where, and the system would need to be 100% fool proof.

I do also foresee people vandalizing these doors severely.

Again, why would the whole system need it at once? Lines with single equipment types could easily be fitted with doors -- the Franklin shuttle, the 42nd shuttle, the Flushing, the Canarsie. As for vandalization, if they're not frequently breaking train glass, why would they break platform glass?

Another option would for,there to be a grace period of like let's say 10 min at those stations where you can't cross over to other side .like 86th st etc...

That would definitely not happen, as it would allow pass-backs, leading to increased fare evasion. Just do the sensible thing and ensure that you are on the right platform before passing through the turnstiles.

Stupid or not, some people just feel like either they're "that good", they gotta test themselves, or they're infallible...

He's probably home now stroking himself on how "good" he is cuz he wasn't hit.

And this type of attitude fuels more dangerous behavior. Others see this and then, here come the copycats, thus our society spirals further out of control.

-bassie out.

It would be completely feasible on many lines. The London Underground only has platform doors on some lines, and we could very easily have platform doors on the (L) or the (7) or some such line. As for the second part, operators tend to hit the mark pretty well, and in other cities this is not a problem so I don't see why it would be here--our ops aren't any less capable.

Again, why would the whole system need it at once? Lines with single equipment types could easily be fitted with doors -- the Franklin shuttle, the 42nd shuttle, the Flushing, the Canarsie. As for vandalization, if they're not frequently breaking train glass, why would they break platform glass?

Can you name a city with completely human operation and PSDs? Because I can't. The London and Parisian lines where there are PSDs are all at least partially automated.

Cause that's what the OP said he wanted to happen...? Hence why I gave counter points to his exact argument. 

This is why there was suppose to be a law where platform screen doors should be added to every subway station in the 4 boroughs (elevated, open cut, at-grade, or underground),

Platform screen doors wont come into existence for a LONG time for several reasons:

1: Forget comparing A Division to B Division size trains because they dont even use the same tracks anyways, but the size of B Division cars to each other matters because the (MTA) still hasnt decided on a standard size for the B Division trains, first it was 60 footers, then 75 footers, then back to 60 again but the R211 order consists of 75 foot articulated trains too now addabout 45 years to when they may be delivered and see the next order, you know, unless there is a set size, PSDs will not exist any time soon which brings me to the next issue that affects ALL rolling stock...

2: Door positions, we can say that all A Dkvision cars are 51 feet long but that doesnt mean anything if the R62/As are still around then and they wont be leaving until around 2030, the doors on them are right across from each other and smaller while the NTTs have offset doors and are larger, thats why the proposal for the PSDs at 34th Street - Hudson Yards wont happen until the (7) only has NTTs because of the door positioning.

3: Sound, you know these newer NTTs' speakers/PA system is atrocious especially in the summer underground where the A/C is blasting ( subs to the R143s and R160s with their loud ass A/C and poor speaker quality), now imagine an announcement is played but you cant hear it because the A/C is blasting and noise can barely escape because its mostly trapped which I think is a safety issue

4: unless these PSDs have a quick way of unlocking in the evnt of a tunnel fire or emergency, then whoever is in the tunnel is screwed, thats it for this reason, you figure the rest

5: Vandalism, wtach soon the PSDs will be scratched and painted up and for the neglected stations, thats sad plus you wont be able to see the end and side signs of an approaching train especially if you cant hear anything (reason 3).

Platform screen doors wont come into existence for a LONG time for several reasons:

1: Forget comparing A Division to B Division size trains because they dont even use the same tracks anyways, but the size of B Division cars to each other matters because the (MTA) still hasnt decided on a standard size for the B Division trains, first it was 60 footers, then 75 footers, then back to 60 again but the R211 order consists of 75 foot articulated trains too now addabout 45 years to when they may be delivered and see the next order, you know, unless there is a set size, PSDs will not exist any time soon which brings me to the next issue that affects ALL rolling stock...

2: Door positions, we can say that all A Dkvision cars are 51 feet long but that doesnt mean anything if the R62/As are still around then and they wont be leaving until around 2030, the doors on them are right across from each other and smaller while the NTTs have offset doors and are larger, thats why the proposal for the PSDs at 34th Street - Hudson Yards wont happen until the (7) only has NTTs because of the door positioning.

3: Sound, you know these newer NTTs' speakers/PA system is atrocious especially in the summer underground where the A/C is blasting ( subs to the R143s and R160s with their loud ass A/C and poor speaker quality), now imagine an announcement is played but you cant hear it because the A/C is blasting and noise can barely escape because its mostly trapped which I think is a safety issue

4: unless these PSDs have a quick way of unlocking in the evnt of a tunnel fire or emergency, then whoever is in the tunnel is screwed, thats it for this reason, you figure the rest

5: Vandalism, wtach soon the PSDs will be scratched and painted up and for the neglected stations, thats sad plus you wont be able to see the end and side signs of an approaching train especially if you cant hear anything (reason 3).

4 isn't really an issue since they don't completely seal off the station; there will still probably be those access points at the ends of the platforms. PSDs are also in use where actual terrorist attacks and train fires have occurred, and PSDs actually reduce track fires since you can't just litter into the tracks.

Wouldn't it be easier if in the "B" division they make ALL future car orders where the cars are 67 feet?  That used to be the length of the BMT Standard and by doing that, they could do it where all stations over time are lengthened to 670 feet in the B division for 10 67-foot cars.

That would solve the platform door issue in the B Division.

The A Division could do it more easily because they all use the same car length (51 feet).  You could there make it where ALL stations are eventually lengthened to 612 feet (12-car trains) and use that as standard length for platform doors.

It might be possible, depending on the way the door panels would be placed. Some places, you would have separate doors that would open for one car length or the other. The biggest problem would be where the doors would be close enough to overlap. But that's not impossible to resolve. 

Archived