R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

R188 7503 has the added green circle and red diamond by the signs with orange readings like 7501 and 7505. 

Here is the video for the full length of the set running. I actually prefer this kind of LED than the old ones as the old ones looked like they were dying on certain panels. Plus it made it look cleaner, too. They should lowkey do this on B division sets like the R160 and R179, mainly on the (F)/<F> and (J)/(Z) because they do go express. Doesn't need to happen just thought it would be nice to see.

11 hours ago, Eric B said:

Gee whzs; RGB's are easy to get nowadays. Why would they use on a computerized train a makeshift setup made to hook up to an existing (no longer used) "off/on" switch on the older trains?

Yeah, they seem weirdly wedded to the backlit flipdot style with all the individual boxes for text. They could just as easily swap the whole unit out and find something less bulky, too. Part of me is impressed by the consistency, part of me sees it as the MTA's usual bizarre reluctance to change.

The full RGB signs are probably too expensive to retrofit and require more reprogramming to get it to work right with an older computer system.

I'm more curious if the MTA plans on rolling these new signs out on the R188 in piecemeal fashion, just replacing the ones that have degraded original signs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Better to be in "Fleet Swap Discussion Thread".

R188 are very similar to R142A and R142A but the door motor has R188 and R142A the same new door motor and R142 has the old door motor and the door chime R188 has newer door chime and R142 and R142A has older door chime.

Edited by Rigojefte Galo

11 hours ago, Rigojefte Galo said:

R188 are very similar to R142A and R142A but the door motor has R188 and R142A the same new door motor and R142 has the old door motor and the door chime R188 has newer door chime and R142 and R142A has older door chime.

What?  If you go back and check what I was responding to,  I was responding to something about 2156-2160....R62A cars.  I did not say a word  to what you are claiming here!

You, the moderator and any other interested parties can simply go to the top of this page to verify what I was responding to.

• 5 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 2:54 AM, T J Trainman said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, However, unless I am mistaken (I probably am) 2156-2160 from the 1 to the 6 with green stickers?

That’s been at Westchester since the (6) had like 5 sets of their R142A’s before those went to Jerome Avenue yard. 

On 4/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, 553 Bridgeton said:

Wideband radio antenna 

Thanks. Every fleet that the (7) gets, they always add something to it. Like the R36WF cars, they installed a -() where the motorman is at. They are usually at both ends of a train

On 4/5/2021 at 11:31 AM, VIP said:

That’s been at Westchester since the (6) had like 5 sets of their R142A’s before those went to Jerome Avenue yard. 

I think that was 2456-2460. 2156-2160 was on the (6) for a short time at Pelham and went back to the (1) afterwards. 2456-60 on the other hand remained. 

Can someone confirm if there was one remaining set of R142A's at Westchester after the R188 swap was completed for almost a year before it was sent to Jerome? I vaguely remember there was one set that needed major repairs and was the last 142A to run in service on the (6).

7 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can someone confirm if there was one remaining set of R142A's at Westchester after the R188 swap was completed for almost a year before it was sent to Jerome? I vaguely remember there was one set that needed major repairs and was the last 142A to run in service on the (6).

Yes I think it was 7606-7610/7596-7600

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yes I think it was 7606-7610/7596-7600

And 7601-7605 as a spare 5-car set. They ran 7606-10 with 7596-7600 for 30-days on the (6) as a test to see if there's further problems before acceptance to Mosholu Yard for the (4) line. 

27 minutes ago, Calvin said:

And 7601-7605 as a spare 5-car set. They ran 7606-10 with 7596-7600 for 30-days on the (6) as a test to see if there's further problems before acceptance to Mosholu Yard for the (4) line. 

Oh right! Because 7591-7595 was approved for transfer and ran on the (4) along with 7611-7810 before that 30-day test

9 hours ago, Calvin said:

Wasn't that the set that had major electrical problems at 59th St a few years ago?

• +Young+ unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...