Around the Horn's SEPTA Design Project

This is the thread for my SEPTA designs which are ways I would improve SEPTA(Which I want to do as a career).

But first there are some ground rules and info You should know before I start posting ideas.

1. Each line gets its own color and code(3 or 4 letters)

MFL Market Frankford Line

BSL Broad Street Line

BSX Broad Street Express

BRS Broad-Ridge Spur

LND Lindenwold line

NHSL Norristown High Speed Line

RRL Regional Rail Lines

SST Subway Surface Trolley

RBL Roosevelt Blvd Local

RBX Roosevelt Blvd Express

101 and 102 Media/Sharon Hill trolleys

2.The R system for Regional Rail is back as follows

R1 Airport

R2 Warminster-Wilmington/Newark

R3 West Trenton-Media/Elwyn

R5 Paoli/Thorndale-Lansdale/Doylestown

R6 Cynwyd-Norristown

R7 Trenton-Chestnut Hill East

R8 Fox Chase-Chestnut Hill West

3.In this "world" PATCO doesnt exist and SEPTA operates the service,however DRPA still owns the track and stations

Design will be up later in the week.Each design gets its own day

Well folks its time!Here is my Design for the Broad Street Line Type 5 car:

14101695161_68564f2d02_b.jpgAs you can see this design uses successful elements of the R142A by Kawasaki who also built the B-IV which this car would replace.My philosophy was that if this design can survive the Lexington Av Line for 20 years with no problems,it can survive the Broad Street Line for 40 years...

Here is the side and the new features in this car

14081833316_529d239445_b.jpgThis car features new electronic destination signs,an electronic Broad Street Line map showing if you are on the Local,Express,Spur or Sports Express and the next stops this train makes,and interior information displays similar to the R142A's.

Earlier in the week I asked R188 7857 to make this example of the interior information display:

FicComplete_zps7ee07d46.gif

This shows that 1.this train is a Roosevelt Blvd Local

2.The next stop is 5th-Wyoming

3.It is 4:47 PM

4.This train is arriving at 5th-Wyoming

5.Where you can transfer to the Bus Route 47 and Trackless Trolley Route 75

If you have any questions or comments don't hesitate to post!Thanks!

@ Around the horn Tell me how much do you know SEPTA I didn't know anyone here had an affinity for Philly so I chose not to share those ideas I had. Answer this why is the 1 so infrequent? 

About the 100 series your extent. Are buses restricted in the gladwyne area? What do you know about Montgomery county? And are you familiar with these routes 129,132,124,99,96&14? You familiar with 92,119,114&117 or 103,105&106?

@ Around the horn Tell me how much do you know SEPTA I didn't know anyone here had an affinity for Philly so I chose not to share those ideas I had. Answer this why is the 1 so infrequent? 

About the 100 series your extent. Are buses restricted in the gladwyne area? What do you know about Montgomery county? And are you familiar with these routes 129,132,124,99,96&14? You familiar with 92,119,114&117 or 103,105&106?

I am familar with the 14.However I am not familiar with the other routes you mentioned...

Today is the day for the Roosevelt Blvd Line to be introduced.

14101855832_6ae21a0384_b.jpgThis line like the Broad Street Line is 4 track for most of its distance(just before 9 St to just after Woodhaven).There is a Local and Weekday Express supplements the local.Franklin Mills Mall Is similar to Main Street (7).The Line's yard is after Woodhaven Station.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to get this rolling again.

Today I will introduce route symbols which are part of my design being sent to the Young Arts judges (if you read the Random thoughts thread,you will see that I mentioned this)

Using the three letter codes in the first post and the colors currently used by SEPTA,these are used on signs in a similar way to the route bullets in the NYC Subway

14182796486_719381a25d_o.jpgUsing the three letter code already used by SEPTA and the colors already used by SEPTA in the Regional Rail system,I created these symbols:

14182795766_b52fd72eda_c.jpg

If you have any questions or comments don't hesitate to post!Thanks!

Excellent.

Your work reminds me of when I used to get heavy on drawing elaborate track maps of our transit system. Also route maps using professional grade markers. Used to have alot of solditary fun drawing maps, I used to be on it for hours in my room when living with dad while blasting the stereo.

This is motivating, perhaps as time passes I should get back into drawing again. Not just subway maps but also based on my photos some mean transit photos. You got me thinking on this one. +1 dude.

Excellent.

Your work reminds me of when I used to get heavy on drawing elaborate track maps of our transit system. Also route maps using professional grade markers. Used to have alot of solditary fun drawing maps, I used to be on it for hours in my room when living with dad while blasting the stereo.

This is motivating, perhaps as time passes I should get back into drawing again. Not just subway maps but also based on my photos some mean transit photos. You got me thinking on this one. +1 dude.

Thank you!

I was designing my own TA (and still am) until I was riding the R142S (4) (#7785) and was thinking about how cool it would be to have a R142A clone on the Broad Street Line and that's how this whole thing got started...

Archived