Train derails near Queens subway station, 19 hurt

post-5097-0-35653200-1399053393_thumb.jpg
At least 19 people were hurt after a train derailed near a Queens subway station on Friday, officials said. About 1,000 people were riding the Manhattan-bound F train when it slid off the track near the station at Broadway and 65th St. in Woodside about 10:30 a.m., officials said. "You could just feel yourself coming off your seat," said Irvelle Cadet, 24, who was riding on the seven-car train to a job interview. "I was sideways at one point. Then the conductor came over the speakers to say it derailed." Transit officials said they will be looking at the speed of the train and the condition of the tracks to determine what caused the derailment.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-35653200-1399053393_thumb.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey bigc it take time to wait for an answer. their first priority is get people out of the subway. It still being worked on from the news chopper. I am sure you will get the answer later tonight. 

hey bigc it take time to wait for an answer. their first priority is get people out of the subway. It still being worked on from the news chopper. I am sure you will get the answer later tonight. 

I know pjbr...It's just that when you here about a Derailment It shakes me up...Especially when you have to use the subway to get home..   

Due to a train with derailment at 65 St, the following service changes are in effect:

There is no e.png train service between Jamaica Ctr-Parsons Archer and Queens Plaza in both directions.

There is no f.png train service between Jamaica-179 St and 21 St-Queensbridge in both directions.

Forest Hills bound m.png trains are terminating at Essex St.

There is no r.png train service between 71 Av-Forest Hills and Queens Plaza in both directions.

Some northbound r.png trains are running on the n.png line from 57 St-7 Av to Queensboro Plaza.

Allow additional travel time

R to Astoria??

Ugh... Who gives a damn what type of train it was... <_<   What's important is that everyone is ok.  Human life is far more important than a hunk of machinery. I have my preferences when it comes to trains, preferably the newer ones, but that's mainly because they're cleaner, brighter and offer automated announcements and better AC.  Otherwise I couldn't care less.

It was a R46 though. Im sad that it had to be one of my childhood trains that had to be derailed.

Hmm.. How are you so sure it was an R46 and NOT a R160 ?

Unless there's photo evidence which to my knowledge hasn't surfaced yet or YOU know someone who was on that train that could answer that question for sure.. Let's NOT speculate what car series it was

Unless there's photo evidence which to my knowledge hasn't surfaced yet or YOU know someone who was on that train that could answer that question for sure.. Let's NOT speculate what car series it was

I saw video of firefighters on an R46. 7online.com

The MTA stated it was an 8-car train, and also: 

http://instagram.com/p/ngAQM2Gq25

Man, it was HELL this morning! I was SUPER lucky because I was on the F train that was two trains ahead of that one. Coming back up was a real pain, Q60s were slammed both directions, thank god for LIRR cross-honoring.

Right now, shuttle buses are out and it's horrible.

I was on this train!!! Yes, I went through the evacuation and everything. Here's what happened:

You read that correctly. I was on the train that derailed. Here's what happened:

10:19 AM SB (F) train leaves Roosevelt Avenue
10:20 AM Right after 65 Street on the fastest part, train goes BIE. Lights flicker and track keeps making banging noises (stop arm keeps reacting).
10:21 AM Smoke in tunnel
10:24 AM T/O and C/R are on Intercom, call for Handbrake. While I was overhearing the conversation, they were saying how the train may be pulled apart (it wasn't). C/R goes on intercom and tells passengers to remain calm (Yeah right!)
10:32 AM C/R announces that there will be a rescue train coming
10:36 AM T/O comes into car and announces that the train has derailed and we'll be stuck here for a while. 
10:39 AM Fire Department arrives.

I stopped taking notes after that, but here's what I remember:
> Two passengers complained of trouble breathing and were sat down and given oxygen
> They were first going to send the rescue train behind my train. Then they decided they were going to send it on the NB Express track... Except there was a wall blocking it. 
> Eventually they decided to use the emergency exit, of which they did.
> I was one of the first ones to climb down onto the roadbed and use the emergency exit. Lots of Emergency Services and News media were there.

This was the set involved:

N 5742-5743-5745-5744=5634-5635-5637-5636 S (Of course 5636 was involved)

I overheard that the second and third cars may have damage, which were 5743 and 5745.

It took an hour to get out of the train. When the train went BIE, it was something like out of a horror movie: The train stops dead silent and the lights keep flickering / tracks making noises. Then the smoke appears.

Of course, I didn't have my camera on me (that's my luck). I did take one picture from inside the train. Almost everyone was taking video with their smartphones, but they were told to put them away when evacuating.

If anyone says something different happened, tell them to come to me since I was there firsthand! It really was an interesting experience. 

14091183724_fb70631f4a_b.jpg

Photo: Marc A. Hermann / MTA New York City Transit

13904135560_885dc4335d_b.jpg

14090723575_fed4380830_b.jpg

13904124257_447c9c5fd8_b.jpg

13904103279_dda39bdc71_b.jpg

13904103339_6854c9c6a6_b.jpg

13904124467_8b36e6e953_b.jpg

14090723915_b9aae06bde_b.jpg

13904143578_3b16b2de4d_b.jpg

14067626356_331d109d11_b.jpg

14091184934_e08e724e67_b.jpg

Source - MTA.

Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/13904021380/

Not a problem. The more important thing is that yourself 4P3607 and Around The Horn got out of this mess safe and sound. You are both lucky because out of the 19 injured 4 are in critical condition. This is a very bad accident, one of the worst in years for NYC Transit.

If I may ask, the derailment did it appear to be because of a broken rail? The MTA is stating via twitter that the middle six of the train’s eight cars jumped the tracks but no further details.

Not a problem. The more important thing is that yourself 4P3607 and Around The Horn got out of this mess safe and sound.

If I may ask, the derailment did it appear to be because of a broken rail? From the pictures posted by the MTA its difficult to tell.

It sure looks like a broken rail. In one of the pictures the rail doesn't even seem to be there! I'm not sure if ATH was on it... he might of just had the details of what happened. If 5636 was in the front, I would have been there a lot longer and possibly been on the news. I almost stayed for the news interviews but decided to check out the reroutes instead (Got an R160 (C) ). 

It seems speed was one of the factors of the derailment. When I was on the train, that T/O was hauling it past 65 Street as fast as he could go. Then again, many of the other trains go fast there too. If the rail didn't break, he would have had to slow down for the timers anyway. 

Watch, now they're going to put timers there and kill the express run. Glad I was on the last train to go that fast there :P

Archived