Man drops dead on Bronx subway

A 45-year-old man mysteriously dropped dead on a Bronx subway train Friday night.

The victim, whose name was not immediately released, was spotted by an MTA worker walking alone inside a northbound 5 train at the Dyre Ave. station about 11:50 p.m., cops said.

He was having difficulty breathing, fell to the floor of the train and died at the scene, officials said.

It happens all the time. Just think of all the ambulance runs in your neighborhood as most of them aren't accidents or crime victims.

So it's not ENTIRELY F**ked up that I ask "Who died?" every time I see an ambulance then?

Early yesterday morning, there was an "unresponsive male" being wheeled into an ambulance truck over on the corner of 34th/7th... 'twas around a quarter after 5am... Black male, looked homeless.... If he ended up dying or not, IDK.... But yeah, as f***ed up as it is, you do have people losing their lives in/at/around the subway system, outside of folks committing suicides, jumping in front of trains & what not..... More than what I ever stopped to think of....

I see this alot on my end in the ER and ICU as part of my duties as a respiratory care practitioner intern (nursing). When we receive patients like that after the EMTs do their job the patient is intubated immediately (after CPR if needed), put on a mechanical ventilator right away and the rushed to the ICU where the patient undergoes a surgical procedure by the doctor who takes over, where the patient has their central IV line inserted into the jugular vein also IVs in his radial artery for fluid intake to improve cardiac output and blood pressure. Subanesthetic drips goes through the central IV to tolerate mechanical ventilator life support.

Usually it comes down to a few things that causes collapse:

1) stroke

2) cardiac arrest

3) respiratory failure

4) sudden onset of coma

It can be due to a variety of factors:

1) cardiovascular disease

2) respiratory disorders/disease

3) drug overdose

4) alcohol overdose or withdrawal which is also an acute medical emergency. Ethanol withdrawal in particular can kill you, quickly 

5) severe penetrating or blunt trauma usually caused by brain or CNS damage, or severe blood loss from lacerations to major arteries and veins (In the case of being shot, stabbings or severe car accidents (not the case with this man here but for the record)

The media probably will not update us on the status of the autopsy so those are the causes for such a scenario as we are reading here. Its pretty frequent as many has stated, this does happen alot in the subways as we do receive patients who collapsed in the subway. Its pretty common to receive patients in this dangerous condition out of the subway system. Usually the patients survive if someone calls 911 fast enough with the EMTs arriving at the scene fast enough so we can start procedure in the ER. In this case he wasn't rescued in time.

Dont mind me for going into such depth but I'm studying for this blasted lecture exam next week so yeah.....

I see this alot on my end in the ER and ICU as part of my duties as a respiratory care practitioner intern (nursing). When we receive patients like that after the EMTs do their job the patient is intubated immediately (after CPR if needed), put on a mechanical ventilator right away and the rushed to the ICU where the patient undergoes a surgical procedure by the doctor who takes over, where the patient has their central IV line inserted into the jugular vein also IVs in his radial artery for fluid intake to improve cardiac output and blood pressure. Subanesthetic drips goes through the central IV to tolerate mechanical ventilator life support. Usually it comes down to a few things that causes collapse: 1) stroke2) cardiac arrest3) respiratory failure4) sudden onset of coma It can be due to a variety of factors: 1) cardiovascular disease2) respiratory disorders/disease3) drug overdose4) alcohol overdose or withdrawal which is also an acute medical emergency. Ethanol withdrawal in particular can kill you, quickly 5) severe penetrating or blunt trauma usually caused by brain or CNS damage, or severe blood loss from lacerations to major arteries and veins (In the case of being shot, stabbings or severe car accidents (not the case with this man here but for the record)The media probably will not update us on the status of the autopsy so those are the causes for such a scenario as we are reading here. Its pretty frequent as many has stated, this does happen alot in the subways as we do receive patients who collapsed in the subway. Its pretty common to receive patients in this dangerous condition out of the subway system. Usually the patients survive if someone calls 911 fast enough with the EMTs arriving at the scene fast enough so we can start procedure in the ER. In this case he wasn't rescued in time.Dont mind me for going into such depth but I'm studying for this blasted lecture exam next week so yeah.....

Just a few months ago I took a long ride non stop out of state.

I thought not stopping was no big deal since I began taking blood thinners.

While working one day not long ago I began to have shortness of breath and feel light headed. I couldn't shake it and it gradually became worse.

I got off the Tracks and in my 40 something years of living I called my first ambulance.

In the end it turned out that I developed a clot in a varicose vein that fragmented and lodged in my lungs.

Never happier I called that ambulance!!!

Just a few months ago I took a long ride non stop out of state.

I thought not stopping was no big deal since I began taking blood thinners.

While working one day not long ago I began to have shortness of breath and feel light headed. I couldn't shake it and it gradually became worse.

I got off the Tracks and in my 40 something years of living I called my first ambulance.

In the end it turned out that I developed a clot in a varicose vein that fragmented and lodged in my lungs.

Never happier I called that ambulance!!!

Yikes! Thats a pulmonary embolism! That could quickly result in a life threatening condition and definitely a medical emergency. I've dealt with persons with such conditions, that is not cool... doctors will order the RCPs to intubate and put the patient on mechanical ventilation asap, usually in severe cases as you can die from that.

Yeah you need to stay close with your doctor. Especially with the stressful line of work you are in. 

Archived