The H6 Farewell Trip

Today, after around 28 years of service, the TTC's oldest broad gauge subway cars, the H6s, were retired. Today, a set made up of 5858-5859-5908-5909-5899-5898 (ex-5921) operate as an extra service, pulling out from Greenwood Yard at approximately 10 AM, going east to Kennedy, and doing a round trip to Kipling. Unlike the retirements of the H4s and H5s over the past two years, the H6 set sent out was decorated with many posters publicizing that this was the final run of the H6 series, like this:

14465873561_2272cbd251_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission H6 Farewell Poster by Orion V, on Flickr

Additionally, two posters were put at the two ends of the train over the railfan window, denying many people the ability to take video of the ride looking out the front. The MTA should think about that when the R32s and R42s are retired.

Here are my photos of the train on its last day of service:

Greenwood Station:

14467902392_2a25c238f2_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5858 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

5858 interior and cab photos:

14282654878_f559ffc185_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5858 interior by Orion V, on Flickr

14467906212_9d741fc2b8_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5858 Cab by Orion V, on Flickr

Kennedy Station, before the round trip:

14282612559_dc704ca05a_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5858 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

Kipling Station:

14282658688_f66eb24733_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5858 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

14467910412_4daaf6df11_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5859 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

14282791077_7d416a8b50_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5908 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

14282617759_8c76f4d8bf_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5909 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

14468083494_93dcbf9a8d_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5899 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

14468085004_f4bf9fd68f_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5898 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

5898's number plate, with the numbers for 5921 underneath:

14446139846_849a94bc0c_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5898 number plate by Orion V, on Flickr

Kennedy Station, as the train is about to go out of service:

14282667928_bc327b9014_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5858 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

14489394363_bdf091f866_b.jpgToronto Transit Commission 5858 on Line 2 by Orion V, on Flickr

I hope that you all enjoyed these photos of the last ride on the H6 cars.

Great shots!

Man, I wish I could have gone. The MTA had the right idea when they ran the last R40 slant train all day. And out of all the things I could have been doing, I was stuck in a math exam <_<

Goodbye, old friends! Will always remember the better days as a kid, riding between Kennedy and downtown. :(

1986, the train is not so old.

In Paris, we still have trains from the 1960's in service.  :D

The other H-series cars retired in the last few years (H4, H5) managed to last 35-37 years in service. The reason for the early retirement of the H6s is that they were pretty lemonish when they were first introduced, and they never really got much better. The kicker here is that originally they were supposed to be very similar to the H5s - which had a lot of structural problems but weren't *that* shitty components wise. But then they decided to swap out a lot of parts in the name of adding more Canadian content to the order, and the rest is history.

I don't know much, but I reckon the H6s would still be kicking around if they were more like the H5s. Garbage or not, though, they left an indelible mark on a future transit fan all those years ago, and I'll miss them, even though I strongly doubt anyone who maintained the cars feels the same way.

The other H-series cars retired in the last few years (H4, H5) managed to last 35-37 years in service. The reason for the early retirement of the H6s is that they were pretty lemonish when they were first introduced, and they never really got much better. The kicker here is that originally they were supposed to be very similar to the H5s - which had a lot of structural problems but weren't *that* shitty components wise. But then they decided to swap out a lot of parts in the name of adding more Canadian content to the order, and the rest is history.

I don't know much, but I reckon the H6s would still be kicking around if they were more like the H5s. Garbage or not, though, they left an indelible mark on a future transit fan all those years ago, and I'll miss them, even though I strongly doubt anyone who maintained the cars feels the same way.

No the reason why the H6's are gone now is cause they got funding for the options on the TR order to replace the H6 fleet earlier then they were gonna do. Since they took the options they saved money by replacing the H6's now then waiting a few more years.

No the reason why the H6's are gone now is cause they got funding for the options on the TR order to replace the H6 fleet earlier then they were gonna do. Since they took the options they saved money by replacing the H6's now then waiting a few more years.

Yes, they took the options to replace the fleet earlier, but who's to say they would have been inclined to do so if the H6s didn't suck so much?

Yes, they took the options to replace the fleet earlier, but who's to say they would have been inclined to do so if the H6s didn't suck so much?

They only took them cause they were able to get the funding to do so other wise they would have been forced to keep the H6's longer. But im glad they did get the funding as a taxpayer i'm saving money in the long run so im happy.

They only took them cause they were able to get the funding to do so other wise they would have been forced to keep the H6's longer.

I don't know. Something leads me to doubt that Friday would have been their last day if they weren't lemons - they might have been less inclined to want to replace at least the youngest ones in the fleet so early on, if they weren't troublesome. Who's to say that they would have been inclined to try to get the funding at all?

The fact that they were so problematic means that replacing them when they did was a clear choice, though.

I don't know. Something leads me to doubt that Friday would have been their last day if they weren't lemons - they might have been less inclined to want to replace at least the youngest ones in the fleet so early on, if they weren't troublesome. Who's to say that they would have been inclined to try to get the funding at all?

The fact that they were so problematic means that replacing them when they did was a clear choice, though.

You're over-thinking it, IMO.  Plenty of transit agencies have retired perfectly good vehicles if they manage to get funding to buy new vehicles.

Again reason why they pushed the funding as they saved big time if the tagged on the Rocket order now then wait 3-5 more years it would have cost less. Made since they were able to get funding. It all came down to what made good sense. Remember most of the H6's problems were from the early years in the few years that they ran they were not too much of a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

The scrap yard?

Takes time to set everything ups for removal of the cars in terms of setting up transport, permits for the oversize transport, if they are going for scrap or EKO they can only take in so many cars at once. Same goes with buses. Scrap yard can only take so many at once.

Archived