NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton advocates for security cameras to be added to all city subway cars

Harry

post-5097-0-25735900-1403606364_thumb.jpg
This camera and others in Chicago subway cars could be a taste of things to come in the New York system. The NYPD could have dozens of new eyes in the transit system — without a cop setting foot on a train — if a plan to put surveillance cameras in subway cars gets the green light. Police Commissioner Bill Bratton envisions a future in which officers armed with tablets keep tabs on rolling subway cars remotely. “One of my officers could actually be standing on a platform waiting for that train to come in ... monitoring the cameras on that subway car to see if there’s an issue on that 10-car train that he wants to go and focus on,” Bratton told the Daily News.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-25735900-1403606364_thumb.jpg

Security cameras for watching the customers, or for watching the crews? Because I know a certain NY Senator who has this hard on for watching the CREWS OPERATE with cameras, as if having a camera point at our hands is magically going to stop us from making mistakes. I'm all for camera for the customers though (and a couple of the 160's already have them) as I feel that WOULD be a deterrent from some of the BS that happens on the trains.

There was Redbirds on the 2 line with cameras back when they was in service, they took them out right before they got retired though.

With that being said, I doubt this will stop crime on the subway, people fare beat and people get robbed on Flat bush depot routes on those buses have cameras on them.

They need camera pointing at the emergency exits and turnstiles at some popular stations. Coney Island always has cops, especially when it gets warm, but it's often a target of successful (repeat) farebeaters who know how the cops operate.

Good idea but how would they fund it? They have more important things that need to be done and do not really have funding for those things so we will see how this goes. I think they will try and apply for a Homeland Security grant for this, see how it goes. 

If you need a deterrant like that just install dummy cameras. Less money, no need for monitors nor people watching them plus if they break it won't make a difference.

Define "break" for a dummy camera.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived