Main differences between the unions of the atu and twu

mtb1980

Atu is smaller. More focus on JUST bus operators and bus maintenance.

Twu covers ALL of mta hourly employees. Bus operators train operators conductors signal workers even the TPPA's.

And I'm not saying nothing negative but twu can lose track of any 1 position because they have so many to look out for meanwhile atu is solely looking out for bus operators and bus maintainers.

I'm now part of 1056 myself.

(Former twu member)

• 2 weeks later...

JUST ONE QUESTION ABOUT THE DIFFERENT UNIONS. LETS SAY I AM A MANHATTAN BRONX LINE BUS OPERATOR AND THERE FOR TWO YEARS AND HAVE RECIEVED INCREMENTS IN MY PAY AFTER THE TWO YEARS.MEANTIME I GET CALLED  FROM THE EXAM FOR ATU WHICH I BELIEVE IS STATEN ISLAND/QUEENS. MY QUESTION IS IF I DECIDE TO GIVE UP MY TWO YEAR SENIORITY AT MANHATTAN/BRONX LINE TO GO TO ATU WHICH IS SI/QUEENS.DO I LOOSE THE PAY RATE THAT I HAVE BUILT UP AT THE MAN/BRONX AND START ALL OVER AT THE SI/QUEENS? WHAT HAPPENS EXACTLY IF I DO THIS??  TKS

• 1 month later...

JUST ONE QUESTION ABOUT THE DIFFERENT UNIONS. LETS SAY I AM A MANHATTAN BRONX LINE BUS OPERATOR AND THERE FOR TWO YEARS AND HAVE RECIEVED INCREMENTS IN MY PAY AFTER THE TWO YEARS.MEANTIME I GET CALLED  FROM THE EXAM FOR ATU WHICH I BELIEVE IS STATEN ISLAND/QUEENS. MY QUESTION IS IF I DECIDE TO GIVE UP MY TWO YEAR SENIORITY AT MANHATTAN/BRONX LINE TO GO TO ATU WHICH IS SI/QUEENS.DO I LOOSE THE PAY RATE THAT I HAVE BUILT UP AT THE MAN/BRONX AND START ALL OVER AT THE SI/QUEENS? WHAT HAPPENS EXACTLY IF I DO THIS??  TKS

I know this is a couple of months old but I'll give my two cents anyway.  

I pick up a OA bus operator on the X1  a few times a week who lives on Staten Island. He has been an operator for over 20 years. It takes him anywhere from 1.5-2 hours each way to get from Gun Hill to Hylan and Midland.

IMO, it's an easy decision to sacrifice a few thousand dollars you will lose for the first two years than commute for 3-4 hours a day.

• 4 weeks later...

Also my man who's looking to switch from OA to TA. Remember you lose your 2 years seniority, and you come in on a different contract...

So in essence it'll take you 7 years to get to top pay. And that probation is a PITA as you know

It's all about sacrifice and I hope you make the best decision for yourself and family

Archived