Metro-North monthly pass

Via Garibaldi 8

I've been tinkering with purchasing a monthly pass for years, but I already have an express bus pass, so I always decide against one, but I've basically used Metro-North almost this entire week during the morning save Thursday, and I'm considering purchasing a monthly just for use in the morning, this way I don't have to worry about peak vs off-peak, and I may even do a few trips going home here and there.  I will still purchase my weekly express bus pass, as I will switch between the two depending on mood, as I always have done.  My question is when does the monthly begin and how long in advance can you purchase one before it needs to be used?

Monthly's begin always on the First of the month starting with the evening commute regardless of how long the month is. They can be purchased up to two full weeks before the beginning of the month (15th or so onward).

Just as an aside:

The fact that you can afford both passes and use them depending on your "mood" is rather sickening, but whatever...

I've been tinkering with purchasing a monthly pass for years, but I already have an express bus pass, so I always decide against one, but I've basically used Metro-North almost this entire week during the morning save Thursday, and I'm considering purchasing a monthly just for use in the morning, this way I don't have to worry about peak vs off-peak, and I may even do a few trips going home here and there.  I will still purchase my weekly express bus pass, as I will switch between the two depending on mood, as I always have done.  My question is when does the monthly begin and how long in advance can you purchase one before it needs to be used?

LIRR and MNR policy is the same on this as far as I know.

Monthlies are sold starting the 20th of the month prior.

They are valid starting at 8pm the day before the 1st of the month.

They are valid for unlimited rides until midnight of the last day of the month.

They are then valid for one ride, up to trains arriving/departing NYC at 10am on the first business day of the next month.

LIRR and MNR policy is the same on this as far as I know.

Monthlies are sold starting the 20th of the month prior.

They are valid starting at 8pm the day before the 1st of the month.

They are valid for unlimited rides until midnight of the last day of the month.

They are then valid for one ride, up to trains arriving/departing NYC at 10am on the first business day of the next month.

Oh this should work.... So that means that they're valid not for 30 days but rather for the length of the month, which for August would be 31 days, is that right? And I assume that they must have some date stamped on them or something right? 

I'm also curious about the Monthly Uniticket, not that I'm buying one since I need my express bus pass.  I see some people get on the Hudson Rail Link and they just flash a pass... This must be the Unilink pass because everyone else dips their Metrocard.

Monthly's begin always on the First of the month starting with the evening commute regardless of how long the month is. They can be purchased up to two full weeks before the beginning of the month (15th or so onward).

Just as an aside:

The fact that you can afford both passes and use them depending on your "mood" is rather sickening, but whatever...

Well to be honest I would ride Metro-North more often if the seats were more comfy and I didn't have to pay $8.25 (or $10.50 one way if I pay for the Hudson Rail Link) to stand.  Oddly enough the older cars have much more comfy seats.  The leather feels and looks like real leather.  Those newer cars have this stuff that looks like pleather and the seats aren't as clean looking.  Going home the express bus wins by a mile since I have access to the BxM18, which is a 30 - 35 minute ride with no traffic. In the mornings however I'm stuck with the BxM1 and BxM2.  Both require long walks, but with Metro-North I have Grand Central right there to refill and buy tickets, banks nearby and so on, so it's more convenient for me before walking to my office.

Oh this should work.... So that means that they're valid not for 30 days but rather for the length of the month, which for August would be 31 days, is that right? And I assume that they must have some date stamped on them or something right? 

I'm also curious about the Monthly Uniticket, not that I'm buying one since I need my express bus pass.  I see some people get on the Hudson Rail Link and they just flash a pass... This must be the Unilink pass because everyone else dips their Metrocard.

Yes it's a calendar month pass.

They are sold until the 15th of the month, no discount for purchasing it after the 1st of the month.

UniTicket: $35.75/month addon for unlimited Hudson RailLink trips. This is also available with a lot of other connecting services (Croton Falls Shuttle, TZx, etc.)

Yes it's a calendar month pass.

They are sold until the 15th of the month, no discount for purchasing it after the 1st of the month.

UniTicket: $35.75/month addon for unlimited Hudson RailLink trips. This is also available with a lot of other connecting services (Croton Falls Shuttle, TZx, etc.)

Yeah, if all goes as planned, I will purchase one for August within the next few days.

Archived