Investing in the future. - MTA

realizm

New and improved subway, rail and bus service for all our customers!

Since 2012, including projected, 2015 investments, we will have reinvested  $67.6 million to  add or improve subway and bus service. Our goal has been to provide new service to growing neighborhoods to accommodate the requirements of residents, businesses and retail centers.

Subways

Extending service to growing neighborhoods

We are extending j.png service from Chambers St to Broad St on weekends. This enables customers to transfer at Fulton St to reach the growing Wiliamsburg, Buckwick and Lower East Side areas. 

Buses 

Adding Select Bus Service and improving weekend service to reduce travel time, increase efficiency and improve customer satisfaction.

Bx5 (Mid 2015)
Splitting the Bx5 and extending weekend service to the Bay Plaza Shopping Center to serve a growing shopping center which will feature a new large enclosed mall.

New SBS Routes (2015)
Adding two new Select Bus Service Routes to reduce travel time and improve efficiency.

Service improvements implemented in 2014

M12 (August 31, 2014)
Establishing local bus service between Columbus Circle and Abingdon Square in the West Village.

X21 (September 2, 2014)
Introducing super express service between Eltingville and Midtown Manhattan during morning and evening rush-hours.

B13 and B83 (August 31, 2014)
Extending route to Gateway Center II to serve a growing retail center.

Bx24 (August 31, 2014)
Extending service to the Hutchinson Metro Center.

QM2 Express Service
Rerouting weekend service to provide faster and more reliable service in Whitestone, Queens.

Q19
Extending service to a new western terminal on 2 St at 27 Av to enable the Q19 to serve the full length of the Astoria Blvd corridor in Flushing.

Q31, Q77
Restoring Q31 weekend service and adding new Q77 Sunday service as part of NYC Transit’s  “2013-14 Service Enhancement Program.” 

Q102
Adjusting the Q102 route to provide faster, more reliable service in Astoria.

Q103
Expanding weekday service and new weekend service to meet the requirements of  a rapidly growing area along the western Queens waterfront.

B8
Extending service to operate between the Brooklyn Veterans Administration Hospital and the Bay Ridge -95 St r.png station at all times.

Bx 28
Adjusting the bus route in Co-op City for the convenience of customers.

B37
Adding a new bus route along 3 Av between Bay Ridge and the Atlantic Av/Barclays Center station.

B70
Rerouted via Ft. Hamilton Pkwy, 7 Av and 8 Av between 92 St and Bay Ridge Av.

B103 LTD
Adding three new bus stops in each direction to improve transit connections in Gowanus.

M8
Restoring weekend service between the East and West Village as part NYC Transit’s “2013-14 Service Enhancement Program.”

M100
Permanently rerouting the M100 in Inwood to better serve commercial, residential areas and schools along Dyckman St and 10 Av.

2014: Introducing Staten Island Railway “real time” service information

Subway Time will be expanded to the Staten Island Railway providing customers with real time train arrival information.

SIR Ferry Connections Phase II

New York City Transit bus and Staten Island Railway trips will be added or adjusted to connect to new ferry trips. This will increase service, improve reliability and provide a more seamless trip for our customers.

Improving service quality and response time

Coordinating Track, Signals and Third Rail teams to respond more quickly to delays so our customers are inconvenienced as little as possible.

Safety initiatives

Increasing inspections and utilizing the latest technology to keep subway tracks in a state of good repair.

Inspecting and maintaining signals, fire safety and communications systems so they operate at peak efficiency.

Training and supervising bus drivers so they comply with all rules and perform to the highest safety standards.

Installing the latest “active collision avoidance systems” on buses and “pedestrian warning systems” to ensure the safety of passengers and pedestrians.

Station maintenance

Cleaning and maintaining stations for the comfort and convenience of our customers.

Link: http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/InvestmentProposals2015_2018.htm

"Pedestrian warning systems" should be coming with the Clever Devices/onboard announcements...NJT has them and they basically say (through the outside speakers) "caution bus is turning" and repeating in Spanish whenever the bus is going below a certain speed and the steering wheel is turned. Dammmn that's gonna be annoying as f*ck on the busier corridors going off every 5 sevonds, gonna be a complaint storm coming in once they get those set up.

Here's a video where you can hear the announcement...

NICE has the same system on the Orion 3Gs where it's a little shorter...hopefully the MTA doesn't make it as long as NJT

Then use the IRT like any sensible person coming from Midtown would do anyway.

I'm talking about people already on the (J) (and having to be put off at Chambers). They have to change to the IRT just to go one stop, but if it went through, they could just stay on and there would be more than five people per day.

.....NICE has the same system on the Orion 3Gs where it's a little shorter...hopefully the MTA doesn't make it as long as NJT

Good opportunity for me to ask this question....

I hear that announcement coming from those buses 5 days a week pulling out of Mineola intermodal.... And I've been trying to figure just what the hell it completely says, ever since I started working out there....

Just what is the announcement saying after "Bus Turning" ??

Good opportunity for me to ask this question....

I hear that announcement coming from those buses 5 days a week pulling out of Mineola intermodal.... And I've been trying to figure just what the hell it completely says, ever since I started working out there....

Just what is the announcement saying after "Bus Turning" ??

It repeats in Spanish. Autobus something

Extending the (J) to Broad Street would get about five riders a day. 

Lower Manhattan is a lot more residential than it was when the J was cut back from Broad in the early 90's.

But the main reason to extend the J is to serve Fulton. Right now, weekend riders who need the A/C or 2/3 have to transfer to the 4/5 for one stop.

This extension will be especially helpful during Cranberry/Rutgers GO's, and I expect we'll see a lot of those in the coming years.

How about (6) to Bowling Green... Can they make (6) to Bowling Green run during late night... They send (6) to Bowling Green few times in Late Night... I know it maybe worthless to send (6) to Bowling Green late night... I maybe wrong... That in Late Night...

How about (6) to Bowling Green... Can they make (6) to Bowling Green run during late night... They send (6) to Bowling Green few times in Late Night... I know it maybe worthless to send (6) to Bowling Green late night... I maybe wrong... That in Late Night...

Have you heard of the (4), sir?

I'll have to agree, sending the 6 to Bowling Green late nights will result in redundant service. The 4 isnt too bad late nights into Brooklyn, its pretty quiet on the Lexington Ave Line in the early AM.

Besides sometimes they use the inner South Ferry loop turnaround track and platform that connects to Bowling Green, for lay ups of trains on the 5, late nights, on many occasions. So the T/Ds may want to keep that turnaround track free by not sending in service cars to Bowling Green late nights.

Well there are still alot of unknowns to how exactly on the grid the Bx5 will be rerouted and I am still digging through the latest committee materials to find the tentative plan. Nothing as of yet. So yeah what is up with that? How will this be done?

Then use the IRT like any sensible person coming from Midtown would do anyway.

The (J) doesn't pass through Midtown...and the point of the extension is also if the (4) or (5) aren't running in Lower Manhattan, the (J) would provide alternate service.

Well there are still alot of unknowns to how exactly on the grid the Bx5 will be rerouted and I am still digging through the latest committee materials to find the tentative plan. Nothing as of yet. So yeah what is up with that? How will this be done?

It's presented as a generalized concept rather than a definitive plan.  We'll just have to stay tuned....

Somehow I think the x21 may turn into a full time by MTA converting many DHs into x21s.

Don't push your luck. If the x22 isn't full time, this won't be either. And they can't convert deadheads, that will be a huge problem.

That doesn't always apply here because you also have to take this into mind

Run setups

Scheduling

Service Patterns.

You're basing that on the idea that the x21 will run all day, which it won't. So #4 is irrelevant.

Archived