Subway crime down as NYPD steps up efforts against litterbugs

Harry

post-5097-0-24402100-1406642285_thumb.jpg
The NYPD is squashing litterbugs. Police this year have ticketed 268 subway riders for littering — and arrested another 94 litterers for more serious offenses, such as skipping court dates, police said Monday. The enforcement stemmed from a suggestion MTA board member Charles Moerdler made to the police Transit Bureau last month to crack down on litterers because trash is fodder for track fires that delay trains. “It's something we are taking an enhanced look at," Transit Bureau Chief Joseph Fox told the MTA board at its monthly meeting Monday in Manhattan. Board member Andrew Albert, head of the NYC Transit Riders Council, applauded the litterbug sweep.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-24402100-1406642285_thumb.jpg

Keeping trash cans does not deal with people who throw their trash all over the platform and on the subway cars, which is what this apparently is trying to address.

Yes it does, obviously if the MTA takes away the trash cans people will be more prone to litter.

Yes it does, obviously if the MTA takes away the trash cans people will be more prone to litter.

My point was there are some people that will throw their trash all over the place no matter how many trash cans you place on the platforms, so you're free to use that excuse if you'd like, but if someone isn't a litterbug, they'll hold on to their garbage until they can find a garbage can.  Simple as that.  Those who like throwing their trash all over will do so, as evidenced by the many occasions that I have witnessed where there were ample garbage cans on the platform yet passengers still threw their trash right on the tracks.  The real issue isn't garbage cans, but rather people understanding that they don't have maid service and that they should not leave their garbage everywhere.  

The NYPD is squashing litterbugs. Police this year have ticketed 268 subway riders for littering — and arrested another 94 litterers for more serious offenses, such as skipping court dates, police said Monday. The enforcement stemmed from a suggestion MTA board member Charles Moerdler made to the police Transit Bureau last month to crack down on litterers because trash is fodder for track fires that delay trains. “It's something we are taking an enhanced look at," Transit Bureau Chief Joseph Fox told the MTA board at its monthly meeting Monday in Manhattan. Board member Andrew Albert, head of the NYC Transit Riders Council, applauded the litterbug sweep.

Read more: Source

If they chase after those who commit petty offenses, they're also likely to catch more serious criminals. They should go after the folks who leave food containers and bottles on the train as well. Call it behavioral profiling.

My point was there are some people that will throw their trash all over the place no matter how many trash cans you place on the platforms, so you're free to use that excuse if you'd like, but if someone isn't a litterbug, they'll hold on to their garbage until they can find a garbage can.  Simple as that.  Those who like throwing their trash all over will do so, as evidenced by the many occasions that I have witnessed where there were ample garbage cans on the platform yet passengers still threw their trash right on the tracks.  The real issue isn't garbage cans, but rather people understanding that they don't have maid service and that they should not leave their garbage everywhere.

Well thats a different story now. Another pet peeve that I have is people pissing on the platforms. I mean there are plenty of bathrooms in the subway even at low passenger usage stations. Nasty. 7th Ave on the E is known for a station that reaks of urine. Its sickening.

I can tolerate alot of things but this makes me nervous because that breeds pathogens that can get you sick.

Well as for littering it encourages vermin to fester which also carry disease.

If only the NYPD can enforce this outside of the MTA as well.

One thing for sure, the Sanitation inspectors on the street are understaffed. One thing I couldnt stand about the Bronx for instance was that there was illegal dumping everywhere, people that would not curb after their dogs and so forth. People do not realize that aside from being an annoyance, it brings in rats and flies that can get people sick.

Fortunately being in Brooklyn I dont see this problem now.

*insert quote

Well thats a different story now. Another pet peeve that I have is people pissing on the platforms. I mean there are plenty of bathrooms in the subway even at low passenger usage stations. Nasty. 7th Ave on the E is known for a station that reaks of urine. Its sickening.

I can tolerate alot of things but this makes me nervous because that breeds pathogens that can get you sick.

Well as for littering it encourages vermin to fester which also carry disease.

Yeah but it may not be people but rather homeless folks.  Years ago there was a show that highlighted how many homeless people sleep underground... Don't know how relevant that is currently but it appears to still be a problem.

Yeah but it may not be people but rather homeless folks.  Years ago there was a show that highlighted how many homeless people sleep underground... Don't know how relevant that is currently but it appears to still be a problem.

Oh yeah I saw this documentary lately:

Admittably one of the huge obstacles is that the homeless shelters run by the city is very violent, much like prison. People are legitimately afraid for their safety so much that they rather live in the street. If the Dept of Homeless Services can beef up security then that wouldnt be as much of a problem. I am unsure if the understaffing of security at the city homeless shelters is due to lack of funding or mismanagement of money in this agency. But yeah whatever the case those seeking shelter in the cities facility are under dangerous conditions.

The reason for this in part is because we have felons just released from prison with nowhere to go and inhabit the cities shelteres bringing their jail mentality with them, sadly.

Archived