Third of Americans Delinquent on Debt

CenSin

post-5097-0-30097800-1406991788_thumb.jpg
More than a third of the country is in trouble when it comes to paying debts on time; 35% of Americans have debt in collections, according to a study out Tuesday from the Urban Institute, which analyzed the credit files of 7 million Americans. That means the debt is so far past due that the account has been closed and placed in collections. This typically happens after the bill hasn't been paid for 180 days. It also means the debt has been reported to credit bureaus and can affect someone's credit score. Southern states especially stand out with the highest concentration of people delinquent. In 13 states — Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico and West Virginia — and Washington, D.C., more than 40% of the population with a credit file has debt in collections.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-30097800-1406991788_thumb.jpg

What's surprising is that places where it's cheaper to live, people have higher amounts of debt.  Crazy...

I think a possible reason is because people out of state rely on travel by car and pay mortages. Car maintainance, insurance, utility bills, and mortgages prompts people to rely on credit cards many times and risk defaulting on payments. Unlike New York where most of us live in condos or apartments with an excellent public transportation system That could be the problem. I've seen this happen to one of my relatives living out of NYS where public transportation is non-existant. Anyway thats just a theory partly from experience. 

So far my credit line score isnt too bad so Id better watch out if I apply for new credit cards. I just had to put my student loans on deferment since I am coming back to college in a month.

I think a possible reason is because people out of state rely on travel by car and pay mortages. Car maintainance, insurance, utility bills, and mortgages prompts people to rely on credit cards many times and risk defaulting on payments. Unlike New York where most of us live in condos or apartments with an excellent public transportation system That could be the problem. I've seen this happen to one of my relatives living out of NYS where public transportation is non-existant. Anyway thats just a theory partly from experience. 

So far my credit line score isnt too bad so Id better watch out if I apply for new credit cards. I just had to put my student loans on deferment since I am coming back to college in a month.

Could be that and too many people trying to keep up with the Joneses too.  It's amazing how much people care about appearances.

Could be that and too many people trying to keep up with the Joneses too.  It's amazing how much people care about appearances.

Thats true. No point trying to make a showy display of living if you cant afford it. That's how it goes with a materialistic consumerist society. Personally as a student working part time I dont try to live beyond my means. Because I cant afford to default on my loans. But alot of people try to make payments by credit card carelessly instead of budgeting and saving their money carefully. 

With my paychecks I always make sure I put some in the bank and dont touch it as I cut back on daily spending. You never know when emergencies may happen, been through grevious financial crisises enough to relearn how to spend wisely. Thankfully my bad credit has been repaired so I can go ahead with credit cards again which I will hold only for dire emergencies.

I went around Google Images looking at electoral maps, and apparently I can't find any visual link between red/blue states and debt load. Still, I think one can find it ironic that Republican states both bear the brunt of the delinquency problem and have lower average debt.

Credit Cards.... The unlimited source of money (or so it's believed to me by the naive & foolish)....

I'm surprised that the percentages aren't higher, to tell the truth....

Yeah, that's all the f*** it is.... Materialism.

Credit Cards.... The unlimited source of money (or so it's believed to me by the naive & foolish)....

I'm surprised that the percentages aren't higher, to tell the truth....

Yeah, that's all the f*** it is.... Materialism.

I'm telling you... Walking around in Midtown you would never know that people are still suffering... Everyone is spending money and living the life, or at least that's the impression that I get.

I'm telling you... Walking around in Midtown you would never know that people are still suffering... Everyone is spending money and living the life, or at least that's the impression that I get.

Ridiculous.....

Which is why I have long said, people are not broke as they like to let on..... People will find the money to get what they want, but moan & groan when it comes time to spend money on something they HAVE to....  I mean you will hear women talkin about buying louboutins (shoes) & michael kors bags, but sucking their teeth & *sigh*ing when they're telling friends that they have to find a 'sitter for their kid and/or pet (usually a dog)... On top of that, making out like the paying of bills is an accomplishment - Hey bitch, that's something you're SUPPOSED to do!!!

Ridiculous.....

Which is why I have long said, people are not broke as they like to let on..... People will find the money to get what they want, but moan & groan when it comes time to spend money on something they HAVE to....  I mean you will hear women talkin about buying louboutins (shoes) & michael kors bags, but sucking their teeth & *sigh*ing when they're telling friends that they have to find a 'sitter for their kid and/or pet (usually a dog)... On top of that, making out like the paying of bills is an accomplishment - Hey bitch, that's something you're SUPPOSED to do!!!

lol... I will admit that there are months that I'm shocked at my expenses.... For a while I tracked some of my expenses on my charge card I think back in 2011 and it's really amazing when you do... I was able to do an analysis of various of expenses for the year... Can't remember for sure, but I spent something like $2,000.00 - 3,000.00 in one year on take out from my local pizza spot on Staten Island! LMAO I never think about some expenses on a yearly basis but I just do things on a weekly basis.  Here for example I do take out from a Greek spot at least once a week.. Roughly $30.00 or so with tip... $120.00 a month and $1,440.00 a year which I know is actually more than that, as some weeks I order out several times.  When I'm spending money on things that I want, I don't focus as much on the price, but yes I hate paying ConEd, Verizon (not once but twice since they no longer accept my bundle package  <_< ) etc.  The only real convenience now is that I can pay all bills online including the expenses for the apartment.  

Archived