Straphangers 2014 subway report card.

Abba

Ride the 2 train from 11pm to 3am on any night and you will see why it gets the score it does.

Infrequent service, large crowds (no seating), and generally obnoxious behavior by 1/3 to 1/2 of the passengers in the car.

What's the point of this?  Nothing will get a good "grade" from them until

-There are 100 TPH on every line, even the shuttles

-All 468 stations are blasted with magical fairy paint that instantly restores tiling and the flooring of years of grime, even Chambers Street and 168th on the (1) on an hourly basis

-Rails are replaced with quiet materials that will not founder after being folded 10,000 times, being run over by every single rail car in the country built on standard gauge trucks, for 24 hours on end and is so environmentally friendly, Greenpeace, the EPA, and PETA collectively weep when they are installed

-Every single dollar that this glorious State manages to make goes to the subway - everything

-Riders are provided with enough room on a crowded subway car to make a living room out of, so no more crowded trains ever

-Every car has a negative MDBF - Yes, a negative one, so for every mile they go, they actually become more reliable

-trackwork is quiet, requires no shutdown of service, and is so quick that it just looks like the workers moved ten feet and left behind shiny new rail

Well if the reports help to improve service I'm all for it... I'm surprised that the (2) hasn't been rated the worse more frequently... The waits are long and painful and the trains are overcrowded most of the time you need one, not to mention the shady characters that are on the train above 96th street...  <_<

The problem I have with Strappies and their annual reports is their methodology for their findings. First and foremost, they fail to take in any context for their findings and studies. Of course, you're not going to get a seat on a Lexington Ave train at the height of the rush hour. I'd be more surprised if one did get a seat. And I'm not talking about at the terminals. The fact that this is 15% of the grade is ridiculous in my opinion. While the important things are given more weight in the grading system, over a third of the grade, which include the likelihood of getting a seat during rush hour, is devoted to creature comforts as I call them. Those should be 20%, tops.

Then there's the fact they love to point out the bleeding obvious. Of course trains with automated announcements make better announcements than the older trains. Anyone with a brain stem could have told them that. It's kind of stupid if you ask me.

Simple, because the (3) is shorter than the (2) and only interacts with it throughout its run. It is also funny how the R62s have one of the highest MDBFs, despite the fact that they're older than the NTTs, since the (3) runs part-time like the (5) does.

Ride the 2 train from 11pm to 3am on any night and you will see why it gets the score it does.

Infrequent service, large crowds (no seating), and generally obnoxious behavior by 1/3 to 1/2 of the passengers in the car.

TBH, I don't know how and why Bronx residents have put up with this service so long.

I am very fortunate I don't live along that route. I would be driven crazy.

The 5 train needs to do some more heavy lifting on the Bronx side.

YAY THE (7) TRAIN GOT FIRST PLACE AT $2.00!

I wonder what happened to the (Q). I've been riding it lately and it was a lot worse than it used to be.   :P

Astoria is what happened.

Also, they seem to be going slower entering Atlantic Terminal.

Dekalb doesn't help it either.

TBH, I don't know how and why Bronx residents have put up with this service so long.

I am very fortunate I don't live along that route. I would be driven crazy.

The 5 train needs to do some more heavy lifting on the Bronx side.

I lived on the BK end of the 2 and I loved it, it was one of the few subway lines you could get a seat going back to BK from the City on Saturday evenings.

Astoria is what happened.

Also, they seem to be going slower entering Atlantic Terminal.

Dekalb doesn't help it either.

What do you mean Astoria? Do you mean that with its extension, the (Q) receives more problems or something?

It feels like the (Q) gets less service on the Astoria Branch. Saw an (N), haven't seen a (Q).

Archived