Rev. Al Sharpton takes de Blasio, NYPD Commissioner Bratton to task over Eric Garner - NY Daily News

realizm

post-5097-0-07562600-1406991542_thumb.jpg
It was an extraordinary scene at City Hall — Mayor de Blasio sitting between his police commissioner and the Rev. Al Sharpton, facing tough questions about police tactics after the death of a black man arrested by white cops. And at one point, Sharpton made it personal. “If Dante wasn’t your son, he’d be a candidate for a chokehold. And we’ve got to deal with that reality,” Sharpton told the mayor. “I think that your ability to show some sensitivity is what raised hope and gave you the plurality that you got to become mayor. But now, I think we’ve got to go from that hope to actuality.”

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-07562600-1406991542_thumb.jpg

Key words from the mayor: He wants cops to go through sensitivity training so we dont have to deal with unnecessary forms of police brutality. Yes criminals need to be apprehended to uphold the law. I am proud of the police officers who realize this in the line and duty. But from the rsh of incidents around the country where acts of brutality has occurred needs to stop. Cops dont need to resort to barbaric like tactics over people commiting petty crimes. Totally not in the support of this 'broken window theory that Comm Kelly endorsed.

Key words from the mayor: He wants cops to go through sensitivity training so we dont have to deal with unnecessary forms of police brutality. Yes criminals need to be apprehended to uphold the law. I am proud of the police officers who realize this in the line and duty. But from the rsh of incidents around the country where acts of brutality has occurred needs to stop. Cops dont need to resort to barbaric like tactics over people commiting petty crimes. Totally not in the support of this 'broken window theory that Comm Kelly endorsed.

I agree...

LOL... How many times do cops need to be "retrained" in this city?  The city has done everything from hiring more cops of color, to retraining them numerous times, so I don't think that's the issue here.  They also hire cops that live in the city. I think the issue is with the cops themselves and how they interact with minorities.  If they still see people of color as "them", no amount of training will make a difference, and the fact that the city thinks that hiring more minorities along with tons and tons of training will solve the problem is a very naïve way of thinking.  It's also important to note that the city still remains racially segregated in terms of how neighborhoods are structured.  Until that changes (which I do see happening), not amount of training will matter.  

LOL... How many times do cops need to be "retrained" in this city?  The city has done everything from hiring more cops of color, to retraining them numerous times, so I don't think that's the issue here.  They also hire cops that live in the city. I think the issue is with the cops themselves and how they interact with minorities.  If they still see people of color as "them", no amount of training will make a difference, and the fact that the city thinks that hiring more minorities along with tons and tons of training will solve the problem is a very naïve way of thinking.  It's also important to note that the city still remains racially segregated in terms of how neighborhoods are structured.  Until that changes (which I do see happening), not amount of training will matter.  

Yes and they made a change by putting veteran cops in crime ridden neighborhoods. I am chilling in Brooklyn now on the border of Brooklyn Chinatown, but yeah it was sort of good in Jamaica also when I went to high school. I will miss those good times. Dated a chihese girl for the first time, I went all the way with her....

Anyway thats the strategy. In other words I dont care if the police officer is white, black or Asian and Latino I see nothing wrong with the diversity in the organization.

Yes I was racially profiled over a camera before and I fought it in the TAB. Won the case. Over a metrocard that only had a 18 min limit. 

But other times they are cool I'll show you:

IMG_6896_zps43ab2d72.jpg

See the cop in my photo?

He didnt mind me taking the pic. I just explained I was looking for a R188 (April) The cop is in the booth coming out. He was cool with it. Now I have to find out who he is, and I think I do from facebook but we got into a good discussion because he was bored lol. 

Some cops don't have that mentality to understand they are supposed to protect knowing the law to a tee. I got arrested before no shame over it, wont say why but my my record is clean. I have seven county federal clearance as a contactor for the public bebefits companies. I work for a living not a criminal, I didnt see why this cop did that. I might get a new contract as IT helpdesk. I can use him as a reference he said no problem. Now thats one cool cop.

So if cops go through sensitivity training that will make veterans out of rookies that truely uphold justice and fairly stop and frisks if they strongly see suspicious activity. It doesn't have t be racial profiling. So I am not trying to sound like Im liberal. No its because this has actually happened to me. 

Thats why I have this prospective.

Yes and they made a change by putting veteran cops in crime ridden neighborhoods. I am chilling in Brooklyn now on the border of Brooklyn Chinatown, but yeah it was sort of good in Jamaica also when I went to high school. I will miss those good times. Dated a chihese girl for the first time, I went all the way with her....

Anyway thats the strategy. In other words I dont care if the police officer is white, black or Asian and Latino I see nothing wrong with the diversity in the organization.

Yes I was racially profiled over a camera before and I fought it in the TAB. Won the case. Over a metrocard that only had a 18 min limit. 

But other times they are cool I'll show you:

IMG_6896_zps43ab2d72.jpg

See the cop in my photo?

He didnt mind me taking the pic. I just explained I was looking for a R188 (April) The cop is in the booth coming out. He was cool with it. Now I have to find out who he is, and I think I do from facebook but we got into a good discussion because he was bored lol. 

Some cops don't have that mentality to understand they are supposed to protect knowing the law to a tee. I got arrested before no shame over it, wont say why but my my record is clean. I have seven county federal clearance as a contactor for the public bebefits companies. I work for a living not a criminal, I didnt see why this cop did that. I might get a new contract as IT helpdesk. I can use him as a reference he said no problem. Now thats one cool cop.

So if cops go through sensitivity training that will make veterans out of rookies that truely uphold justice and fairly stop and frisks if they strongly see suspicious activity. It doesn't have t be racial profiling. So I am not trying to sound like Im liberal. No its because this has actually happened to me. 

Thats why I have this prospective.

My point is that training IMO isn't the issue but rather that people live in racially segregated neighborhoods.  You may see all sorts of people walking around, but walking around and living in an area is very different. Some groups still remain relatively marginalized in terms of living in racially diverse neighborhoods, and while you don't have old school segregation, you have monetary segregation where those with money live separate from those without.  

Point of order - has it been established that the choke hold was a root cause of death? <-Serious question.

This seems to not merit sensitivity to the black community as much as it does to the fat community.

It doesn't take much for some people to suffer a heart attack, a woman had one and died while running from the 2007 steam pipe explosion in Midtown. Mr. Garner was noted as being 400 pounds. Someone who is 400 pounds is not in the best of health. Blacks are also noted as being more susceptible to poor cardiac health, and yes, that is a statistical fact.

Someone who is 400 pounds is also more of a physical risk to those around him than he or others might know. Ask the defensive lines of the Jets and Giants to take turns jumping on top of you and you'll see what I mean.

If Dante de Blasio was put in a choke hold, he would not have had the same problem as a choke hold is meant to bring the target to submission. Of course Garner said he couldn't breath, that's the point of a choke hold. Your brain's automatic reaction is to move to your hands to try to clear the blockage source.

My point is that training IMO isn't the issue but rather that people live in racially segregated neighborhoods.  You may see all sorts of people walking around, but walking around and living in an area is very different. Some groups still remain relatively marginalized in terms of living in racially diverse neighborhoods, and while you don't have old school segregation, you have monetary segregation where those with money live separate from those without.  

Thats correct. That are what we are faced here. Segregated schools I never in support of. My college is to  degree like this even.

Point of order - has it been established that the choke hold was a root cause of death? <-Serious question.

This seems to not merit sensitivity to the black community as much as it does to the fat community.

It doesn't take much for some people to suffer a heart attack, a woman had one and died while running from the 2007 steam pipe explosion in Midtown. Mr. Garner was noted as being 400 pounds. Someone who is 400 pounds is not in the best of health. Blacks are also noted as being more susceptible to poor cardiac health, and yes, that is a statistical fact.

Someone who is 400 pounds is also more of a physical risk to those around him than he or others might know. Ask the defensive lines of the Jets and Giants to take turns jumping on top of you and you'll see what I mean.

If Dante de Blasio was put in a choke hold, he would not have had the same problem as a choke hold is meant to bring the target to submission. Of course Garner said he couldn't breath, that's the point of a choke hold. Your brain's automatic reaction is to move to your hands to try to clear the blockage source.

This isn't about the choke hold, but rather why the police have a habit of using it on people of color, more specifically black people.  What you may not have heard is that after this incident, at least two other incidents have appeared in the news where blacks have been put in choke holds. A black lady who was 7 months pregnant was put in a choke hold in East New York when she refused to stop grilling on the sidewalk outside of her house.  When she refused to obey the police, that's when a struggle ensued and she was immediately put into a choke hold by one of the cops, who were all males to my knowledge.  She was not obese or that big mind you, so you have to wonder why one of the male cops felt the need to use a choke hold on a female that was certainly weaker than him.

The point that is being made is that the police historically have had an aggressive approach with black people, and whether the guy was 400 pounds or not makes no difference.  Even though he was resisting arrest to a certain extent, the point is that the police generally have an aggressive approach towards blacks and that's what Sharpton was trying to say with that comment, and from my observations there is some truth to it.   

It comes down to how the cops view blacks today and how they've viewed blacks historically, which is that they are aggressive.  The media helps to perpetuate this by constantly showing blacks as being criminals and partaking in aggressive crimes, so unless blacks start taking it upon themselves to try to change their image, I don't see anything changing, no matter how many minorities the NYPD hires, and how many times they are retrained.    You can retrain a person all you want, but we all have our preconceived notions about others, and training does NOT change that.  Period. 

I saw that quote from Al Sharpton in the paper... I laughed - Not because he used the mayor's retarded looking kid as an example, but how wrong I believe he was with that..... That dude would STILL be a candidate for some form of police brutality, by the right cop at the right time (or the wrong cop at the wrong time, however which way you wanna look at it)..... Pantalones, err, Pantaleo is by no means an anomaly - so this idea that every cop on the force is gonna know who this boy is, isn't all that realistic.....

By the way, I love how the (ceasing of "illegal") chokeholds all of a sudden is being touted (above stopping police shootings) as the primary issue that police need to be supposedly "retrained" for.... Which is another thing that has gotten quite annoying; there aint goin be no retraining - That is nothing more than a weak assed attempt (by our gimmick mayor here) to try to a] quell & b] improve tensions b/w blacks (in this particular case) and the NYPD..... Remember what happened with the NYPD "Do you have a photo w/ a member of the NYPD? "twitter campaign :lol:

I believe our gimmick mayor means well, but the shit just isn't going to happen..... You are not gonna plop your ass down in gracie mansion here in the early part of the 21st century and actually expect blacks (collectively) view NYC police in a positive light.... There is simply too much bad history....

The Medial Examiner has ruled the Choke Hold was indeed the cause of death. Things just got a whole lot more complicated...

I'm starting to anticipate that a criminal trial will have to proceed because of this. It might happen.

Archived