X21 bus

Q101viaSteinway

From what I understood from the union. It went to castleton for a few reasons 1. Neither Yukon nor Charleston have any more room for buses to cover the work. 2. Castleton garage has the least callouts out of the three garages and the union really wants this line to succeed 3.To give castleton drivers a "better" line option to drive even if it is express 

From the impression I got the underlying reason the X21 exists is bcuz the union is steamed that they didn't get the X23 and X24. They weren't even informed of when it was up for grabs. They more or less went to sleep with the them being ran by atl express and awoke the next morning with academy doing it. So now the 21 is scheduled to run 3 to 5 minutes in front of the 24 on purpose

From what I understood from the union. It went to castleton for a few reasons 1. Neither Yukon nor Charleston have any more room for buses to cover the work. 2. Castleton garage has the least callouts out of the three garages and the union really wants this line to succeed 3.To give castleton drivers a "better" line option to drive even if it is express 

From the impression I got the underlying reason the X21 exists is bcuz the union is steamed that they didn't get the X23 and X24. They weren't even informed of when it was up for grabs. They more or less went to sleep with the them being ran by atl express and awoke the next morning with academy doing it. So now the 21 is scheduled to run 3 to 5 minutes in front of the 24 on purpose

And what about Meredith? Seems as if some changes could be made to have the X21 run out of Charleston if they really wanted it that way.  In my mind the X30 should go back to running out of Castleton.

And what about Meredith? Seems as if some changes could be made to have the X21 run out of Charleston if they really wanted it that way.  In my mind the X30 should go back to running out of Castleton.

That fully depends on what kind of changes, the vast majority of exp routes out of Charleston all go to the South, so changes would be kinda scarce. x30 to Castleton makes a ton of sense. The last stop isn't so far off from the depot if I remember correctly.

That fully depends on what kind of changes, the vast majority of exp routes out of Charleston all go to the South, so changes would be kinda scarce. x30 to Castleton makes a ton of sense. The last stop isn't so far off from the depot if I remember correctly.

Well I think a few tweaks are needed and should be done... Many X30 patrons vehemently opposed having it run out of Meredith.  I think the X21 if anything could run out of Meredith, and given the amount of old timers that transferred from Castleton to Meredith.  You would have old-timers doing the X21 so the route would be in good hands.

Many X30 patrons vehemently opposed having it run out of Meredith.

Why would passengers care?  As long as the bus shows up, it shouldn't matter which depot it came from.

This isn't Manhattan, where some Upper East Side residents actually took offense at the "West Side Depot" (pre-Quill) stickers on some of their buses.

Why would passengers care?  As long as the bus shows up, it shouldn't matter which depot it came from.

This isn't Manhattan, where some Upper East Side residents actually took offense at the "West Side Depot" (pre-Quill) stickers on some of their buses.

Because of where the depot is located.  Having to deadhead from Meredith means that buses are much more likely to get stuck in traffic and be very late starting from Victory and Clove, and that was a HUGE problem when Meredith first took over and why people opposed it.  Castleton is A LOT closer to the start of the route.  Otherwise people could care less.  They just care about their bus coming on time and them getting to work on time, which in my mind isn't asking much when you're paying $6.00 each way for a quicker service.  I'm sorry but to say that "as long as the bus shows up" shows that you either don't work anywhere or don't have a clue about punctuality.  The bus may "show up" (and did at times) 30 minutes late...  In fact it was so bad at times that they actually sent a bus over from Castleton to pick those of us in West Brighton up, which is closer to the start of the route.

I never quite understood the X30 being at Meredith. Kinda like having the X22 outta Castleton.

Truth be told those buses still move around between the depots.  I remember plenty of times seeing Meredith buses going towards Castleton Depot.  Part of it is because they wanted to free up as much space as possible to allow for buses to be fixed and also deal with the fact at some point Castleton will have to be shut down for a rebuild or a rehab. The X10 and X14 basically end a skip and hop away from the depot so those had to stay.

Truth be told those buses still move around between the depots.  I remember plenty of times seeing Meredith buses going towards Castleton Depot.  Part of it is because they wanted to free up as much space as possible to allow for buses to be fixed and also deal with the fact at some point Castleton will have to be shut down for a rebuild or a rehab. The X10 and X14 basically end a skip and hop away from the depot so those had to stay.

Castleton being shut down for rehab? So Meridith would HAVE to be expanded...

Castleton being shut down for rehab? So Meridith would HAVE to be expanded...

I'm not sure what would happen.  It's been talked about for a long time though and at some point they'll need to rebuild that depot... I mean prior to Charleston opening, Castleton and Yukon were both terribly overcrowded, which was one reason why maintenance was so terrible and why service couldn't be expanded... Not enough room to work on the buses and not enough room to take in more buses for more service, and Castleton's facilities are pretty run down.  When Charleston opened, just about all of the space was accounted for when they moved buses over there.  Meredith isn't really a full depot, but it can handle what it currently has and basically just operates rush hour routes and does some trippers here and there.  There is supposedly another area of land that could be used to be build a 5th depot, but I don't expect that to go any quicker than it did to get Charleston up and going.

Just got a copy of the schedule from the Eltingville Transit Center.

This is a very limited express bus route.

The stops are as follows:

- Hylan Blvd./Richmond Ave

- Oakdale / Richmond

- Eltingville Blvd (Eltingville SIR Station)

- Katan / Richmond

- Barlow / Richmond

- Eltingville Transit Center

- Woodrow Road / AR Kill Road

- Arden Ave / AR Kill Road

- Veterans Rd East & West Shore Expressway (NY 440)

- 8th / 42nd

- 7th / 42nd

- 6th / 42nd

- Lexington/ 42nd

- 2nd Ave

- 1 Ave

I'm surprised that the x21 will not stop at Victory Blvd and the West Shore Expressway like the x22 and x19 do. 

I'll be taking the x21 in the PM soon as im sure the loads on the x23./x24 will increase as everyone comes back from vacation, time off etc., Luckily the nearest stop is a 15 minute walk from my place so I'm golden :)

Just got a copy of the schedule from the Eltingville Transit Center.

This is a very limited express bus route.

The stops are as follows:

- Hylan Blvd./Richmond Ave

- Oakdale / Richmond

- Eltingville Blvd (Eltingville SIR Station)

- Katan / Richmond

- Barlow / Richmond

- Eltingville Transit Center

- Woodrow Road / AR Kill Road

- Arden Ave / AR Kill Road

- Veterans Rd East & West Shore Expressway (NY 440)

- 8th / 42nd

- 7th / 42nd

- 6th / 42nd

- Lexington/ 42nd

- 2nd Ave

- 1 Ave

I'm surprised that the x21 will not stop at Victory Blvd and the West Shore Expressway like the x22 and x19 do. 

I'll be taking the x21 in the PM soon as im sure the loads on the x23./x24 will increase as everyone comes back from vacation, time off etc., Luckily the nearest stop is a 15 minute walk from my place so I'm golden :)

Yes it's a true Super Express... The (MTA) does not want to run any more X1 service, and I think this is a ploy by them to get people off of it and on to something with shorter run times... The X1 is like a drug that you can't get off of.  The frequencies are such that everyone runs to that bus and the (MTA) wants to change that.  They cut it during 2010 and this in my mind is their way of cutting it again but putting service elsewhere.

Yes it's a true Super Express... The (MTA) does not want to run any more X1 service, and I think this is a ploy by them to get people off of it and on to something with shorter run times... The X1 is like a drug that you can't get off of.  The frequencies are such that everyone runs to that bus and the (MTA) wants to change that.  They cut it during 2010 and this in my mind is their way of cutting it again but putting service elsewhere.

This.

On that note, there's also a true x1 super in the works as well.

This.

On that note, there's also a true x1 super in the works as well.

Now that it has 24/7 service everyone is going to be using it, even people from the North Shore.  That's one reason they need to restore service along Forest Avenue.  People don't stop using the service.  They just drive to other lines. lol They may even need to add more X12 service at some point. A lot of folks now just drive to Victory for the service since it has Downtown and Midtown service and goes express after Slosson and Victory.  In remember during the late mornings, service was every 20 minutes during towards the end of the morning.  Now it's every 15 minutes...

I think its fine for now as this is the "debut" of the service and passengers will ditch the X1 for it, but I do think an extra trip at 8:00 AM and another one at 6:30 PM

Service every half hour during the morning does not engage riders... It may do well but those buses will have to be on time otherwise forget it.  Some people are already saying that they won't use it because it just serves 42nd street.

It Service every half hour during the morning does not engage riders...

Tell that to the x22A riders. Those trips are PACKED in the AM! Regardless of the fact that it runs through Tottenville and the vast majority of the South, I see this x21 as a way of relieving the x17J, since those J trips get crushed.

Regardless, the same thing was said about the x22A, and those trips get packed in both directions. Let's wait and see. I personally see this as a way to relieve x17Js, but it also might damage x31 service as well at that.

Archived