Upper East Side Construction Accident Leaves Worker Injured

realizm

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

UPPER EAST SIDE (WABC) -- A worker was injured during a construction accident on the Upper East Side Wednesday afternoon.

The incident happened around 3:30 p.m. at East 83rd Street and Second Avenue, where Second Avenue subway construction is under way.

The worker was 100 feet down when equipment fell on him.

He reportedly suffered a leg injury, and other workers in the tunnel were able to come to his aid.

A crane that was part of the construction project was brought to the surface while workers harnessed the victim, who was then lifted back up through the hole back to street level.

There, he was loaded onto a backboard and into a waiting ambulance, which rushed him to the to New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center.

The extent of his injury is unknown, but the man was conscious when he was lifted from the hole.

Link: http://7online.com/traffic/worker-rescued-after-100-foot-fall-down-2nd-avenue-subway-tunnel/273209/

Its unfortunate but working as a sandhog is very dangerous, probably much more so then with a worker in track and signals or third rail operations. I can recall losing some of our workers due to freak accidents in the building of the 63rd Street line in the 1970's.

So far there has been no deaths in the construction of the SAS or the 7 line extension, which is great considering past projects even in the very late 20th century.

I didn't think any work on the subway was more dangerous than the third rail operation..Now i know being a sandbag worker is...

That's great that their Hasn't been any death's with the new subway project's... Seems that worker's and supervisor taking safety more serious than ever... 

Well yes we did have some freak accidents where those in track signals or third rail sustained critical injuries or died but many MTA officials were pointing the fingers at the supervisors for not following safety protocols. In one instance in 2013 if my memory is correct a signals worker was pinned by a train on the 1 because the supervisor failed to oversee operations to ensure that the area was flagged appropriately. The T/O as a result could not have possibly known that there were personnel in the ROW performing maintainance on the signals.

The collision put a huge dent in the carbody of the R62 that hit the man against the benchwalls in the tunnel. The worker survived and should be doing well now. After the train dispatcher on duty and TSSs caught on to the mistake the signals supervisor made to make a long story short, he was subsequently fired.

Well yes we did have some freak accidents where those in track signals or third rail sustained critical injuries or died but many MTA officials were pointing the fingers at the supervisors for not following safety protocols. In one instance in 2013 if my memory is correct a signals worker was pinned by a train on the 1 because the supervisor failed to oversee operations to ensure that the area was flagged appropriately. The T/O as a result could not have possibly known that there were personnel in the ROW performing maintainance on the signals.

The collision put a huge dent in the carbody of the R62 that hit the man against the benchwalls in the tunnel. The worker survived and should be doing well now. After the train dispatcher on duty and TSSs caught on to the mistake the signals supervisor made to make a long story short, he was subsequently fired.

The accident I'll never forget was on the  (G) line at Hoyt-Schmehorn..I actually was waiting on that platform when Marvin Franklin and another (can't think of his name) worker was struck...That was the year several workers died on the tracks..Im sure you know about those incidents.. 

The accident I'll never forget was on the  (G) line at Hoyt-Schmehorn..I actually was waiting on that platform when Marvin Franklin and another (can't think of his name) worker was struck...That was the year several workers died on the tracks..Im sure you know about those incidents..

I'm reading it.

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/nyc-transit-statement-track-worker-accident-hoty-schermerhorn-station

"Press Release April 29, 2007 NYC Transit IMMEDIATE

NYC Transit Statement on Track Worker Accident at Hoty-Schermerhorn Station. Maintenance Safety Stand-Down Ordered

At approximately 4:06 p.m. two MTA NYC Transit Track Workers were struck by a Queens bound G train as it entered the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Station in Downtown Brooklyn, killing one and seriously injuring the other announced Elliot G. Sander, Executive Director and CEO of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Howard H. Roberts Jr., President, NYC Transit during a press conference at the station Sunday evening."

"Track Worker Marvin Franklin, 55, a veteran employee with more than 20 years experience died in this afternoon's incident, while Jeff Hill, 41 and a Track Worker since 2005 was injured and taken to Bellevue Hospital for treatment of his injuries. Franklin and Hill were doing routine track work in the vicinity of the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station when they were struck. G service between Brooklyn and Queens was suspended following the accident and resumed at 7:42 p.m."

From what I am reading in the news he sustained a leg injury but should be off the critically injured list as he is stable, and alert. He is expected to survive the accident but the extent of damage to his leg is unknown at this time. 

*There are some conflicting news reports that states that a pipe fell on him and broke his leg, 100 feet into construction area. If it was just a broken leg that he suffered from then he should be making a full recovery. 

Archived