Bedbug scare on Brooklyn’s B44 route; bus removed from service for fumigation but no bugs found

Harry

post-5097-0-89560700-1409791249_thumb.jpg
If bedbugs boarded a bus in Brooklyn on Monday morning, it appears they also exited. A bus was taken out of service after a rider spotted what were believed to be bedbugs crawling on another passenger who was boarding the B44, which runs between Sheepshead Bay and Williamsburg, according to an MTA spokesman. “Customers all ran off the bus,” a transit source said. No insects were found on board, however, said Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Kevin Ortiz. The bus was taken out of service so it could be “treated” by the MTA’s pest control contractor. Ortiz couldn’t say where along the route the bus was taken out of service.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-89560700-1409791249_thumb.jpg

If bedbugs boarded a bus in Brooklyn on Monday morning, it appears they also exited. A bus was taken out of service after a rider spotted what were believed to be bedbugs crawling on another passenger who was boarding the B44, which runs between Sheepshead Bay and Williamsburg, according to an MTA spokesman. “Customers all ran off the bus,” a transit source said. No insects were found on board, however, said Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Kevin Ortiz. The bus was taken out of service so it could be “treated” by the MTA’s pest control contractor. Ortiz couldn’t say where along the route the bus was taken out of service.

Read more: Source

It's not physically possible to keep all bedbugs off all buses and trains — except by shutting everything down.

It's funny how much New Yorkers will put up with on buses and subways, but throw a few bedbugs in there and people go nuts. I've seen people take bomb scares 100 times less seriously than they do bed bug scares!

Lol, yup... But you'd be surprised at how many men & women have a real fear of bugs/insects......

"Aww come on, a bag, let's go, I don't have time for this, I'm gonna be late"

(I've literally heard someone say this)

But let there be bedbugs, and you will notice that same concern for being late evaporates with the quickness.....

It's funny how much New Yorkers will put up with on buses and subways, but throw a few bedbugs in there and people go nuts. I've seen people take bomb scares 100 times less seriously than they do bed bug scares!

In short I am taking this rash of bedbug incidents on the trains and buses as media hype as a way for newspapers to sell. I mean we all have much more serious to life personal problems to worry about then this unpleasant yet common NYC phenomenon for better or for worse. Its a just stupid bedbug scare on some subway cars and now buses (supposedly), not an ebola epidemic!! 

Edited by realizm

Lol, yup... But you'd be surprised at how many men & women have a real fear of bugs/insects.......

I lose my shit when I see a cockroach. I step on those suckers ASAP, pull some matrix moves just to crush them. Lord knows how I'd respond to bed bugs.

The bed bugs could have came from a passenger.

Passenger, driver, cleaner, depot crew, it could be from anyone.

But what scares me is that people take bedbugs more seriously than things that can be far worse. Like what B35 reiterated about the bag scenario, I've heard the same thing on a 6 train.

Basically.....

54046739.jpg

If you never had bedbugs then u would never know how serious that shit is! id rather have roaches verse bedbugs. them shits travel and dont go away. They also keep u up all night!  i would haul ass too

If you never had bedbugs then u would never know how serious that shit is! id rather have roaches verse bedbugs. them shits travel and dont go away. They also keep u up all night!  i would haul ass too

I'm going to have to agree. Once bedbugs invade your home it is not easy at all to exterminate them, really dealing with a investation problem is akin to psychological torture and with right reason. Personally a roach problem not as serious as a bedbug problem, being that they are so hard to kill. The fact that they feed on the blood of other hosts is not a laughing matter.

The good news is that in itself unlike mosquitos that can transmit bloodborne diseases bedbugs do not offer a threat where it comes to the spread of diseases but nethertheless for countless other reasons trust me one will never get a good night's sleep if they know they have bedbugs in their home. Dont blame you at all for how you feel on the subject.

Nethertheless I think the media is harping on bullshit to sell headlines. Now if I hear of several sets of cars and fleets of buses with bedbugs in them then I'd be worried from the countless years I've lived in NYC. 

I'm not saying people should stay on a bus with bedbugs, I'm saying you should hustle off the bus with the same vigor when there is a bomb scare or threat as well as when there are bedbugs!

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, Arthurgibbs said:

These bedbugs are so annoying. I just hate them.

Why tf would u reply to some random article from 5 years ago...I thought this was just posted and I'm sitting here reading comments, reacting to comments until I noticed I couldn't view @Cait Sith photo, when I checked to see what time he posted it, to see it was from Sept 2014. 

Please...we don't bring up old shitt on here. 😒

1 minute ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Why tf would u reply to some random article from 5 years ago...I thought this was just posted and I'm sitting here reading comments, reacting to comments until I noticed I couldn't view @Cait Sith photo, when I checked to see what time he posted it, to see it was from Sept 2014. 

Please...we don't bring up old shitt on here. 😒

It was a meme(I think).

Topic locked.