R train tunnel could reopen ahead of schedule: MTA

Union Tpke

post-2642-0-85488600-1410305601_thumb.jpg
The (R) train tunnel between Manhattan and Brooklyn may open a bit sooner than scheduled, a transit official said Monday. The tunnel was shut in August last year so workers could replace tracks, signals, communications and all other equipment that was damaged by flooding during Hurricane Sandy. At the time, MTA officials said they anticipated the work being completed sometime next month. The project is now “on schedule to meet or beat the October deadline,” Metropolitan Transportation Authority spokesman Adam Lisberg said Monday. The (R) train currently operates in two segments. One segment is in Brooklyn only; the other is in Manhattan and Queens.

Read more: Source

post-2642-0-85488600-1410305601_thumb.jpg

Wow the MTA is actually ahead of scedule? Am I reading this correctly?

OK I am reading this correctly. I will check it out when I get home tonight but it seems that they already took down the Court Street signs at many R stations. According to a respected member of this board who is a T/O, restored service should be in effect by next week with the new pick. So its official.

So will the car assignments go back to normal, I personally liked having a lot of R46s on the F. The Short turns to Whitehall will should still be t

Speculating now but I would say its possible. Remember the vibration tests that were conducted with the R32 that was on the R? Well the R160s are still giving problems on the Bay Ridge Line due to its immense weight.

Speculating now but I would say its possible. Remember the vibration tests that were conducted with the R32 that was on the R? Well the R160s are still giving problems on the Bay Ridge Line due to its immense weight.

What? Where did you hear that one? Either way, if there was some kind of vibration concerns caused by the 160s, I'd think we'd be aware of them by now since the N has been using those cars on 4th Avenue way longer than on the R.

What? Where did you hear that one? Either way, if there was some kind of vibration concerns caused by the 160s, I'd think we'd be aware of them by now since the N has been using those cars on 4th Avenue way longer than on the R.

I've heard the R32 and perhaps the R42 from a friend. The story I've heard behind those tests was that a building was erected  around, after, or maybe some time before, the introduction of the R160, and cracks have been found in the building's foundation. I don't remember the exact details, but it was something along those lines.

Or maybe it's just pure BS.

I've heard the R32 and perhaps the R42 from a friend. The story I've heard behind those tests was that a building was erected  around, after, or maybe some time before, the introduction of the R160, and cracks have been found in the building's foundation. I don't remember the exact details, but it was something along those lines.

Or maybe it's just pure BS.

That issue I believe was pure BS. It was only the section of 77th Street that they "believed" that caused it. Which they fixed now if you actually ride the train through there. A lot more smoother. I personally LOVE the R160 on the (R)

And they already took down the Court Street signs at 86 Street. 

PRO

- Lower Manhattan customers can now remain on the R, if coming from Brooklyn.

- Rush-hour headways increase to 6 minutes instead of 7.5 minutes in Brooklyn.

- Weekend connections to the A train are restored at Jay Street.

CON

- Evening Brooklyn headways may revert to 12 minutes, instead of the 10 minutes we have been enjoying.

- Late evening Saturday/Sunday headways may revert to 20 minutes, since "every other" R train may now go to Brooklyn after a certain time on Sat/Sun.

- Service becomes far more irregular, with massive bunching of trains and far longer waits.  The 30 minute wait at 59th St Brooklyn at 6pm for a rush-hour Bay Ridge train happened quite frequently, and then 4 or 5 R trains would come back to back.

- Weekend R trains will now take an extra 7 to 8 minutes to go from Bay Ridge to 71 Ave/Continental Ave, which will result in higher salary/overtime costs for the MTA.

TO MITIGATE PROBLEMS

- Keep 10 minute evening headways.

- Keep 12 minute weekend headways, and do not revert to 20 minute weekend headways (where "every other train" drops out at Whitehall).

- Be more proactive in rerouting R trains over the D and M lines if there are delays in Manhattan.

That issue I believe was pure BS. It was only the section of 77th Street that they "believed" that caused it. Which they fixed now if you actually ride the train through there. A lot more smoother. I personally LOVE the R160 on the (R)

And they already took down the Court Street signs at 86 Street. 

Well, one less rumor to worry about then.

They started to take down the signs at Jay Street/Metrotech also. 

Wow the MTA is actually ahead of scedule? Am I reading this correctly?

OK I am reading this correctly. I will check it out when I get home tonight but it seems that they already took down the Court Street signs at many R stations. According to a respected member of this board who is a T/O, restored service should be in effect by next week with the new pick. So its official.

The MTA generally comes  on budget and ahead of time with emergency construction.

True! Since the fiscal period for 2010-2014 is coming to a close they are aggressively trying to complete all the projects that were originally behind scedule. Such as this one. It should have opened in August but it was pushed back to October, and now all of a sudden out of the clear blue, they are on time with the project. Lol!

Thats why I was shocked when I heard the news... 

The (F) needs R160s more than the (R) does. I'm hoping it goes back to the way it was before. I can't stand the (F)'s longer loading times due to the fact that the R46s have less doors per train than the 160s.

Exactly. Besides, the (R) is a part-time line anyway and it's not even close to being one of the busiest local services in the system. Let most of Jamaica's R46s rest overnight, allowing for maintaince/inspection.

PRO

CON

- Evening Brooklyn headways may revert to 12 minutes, instead of the 10 minutes we have been enjoying.

- Late evening Saturday/Sunday headways may revert to 20 minutes, since "every other" R train may now go to Brooklyn after a certain time on Sat/Sun.

- Service becomes far more irregular, with massive bunching of trains and far longer waits.  The 30 minute wait at 59th St Brooklyn at 6pm for a rush-hour Bay Ridge train happened quite frequently, and then 4 or 5 R trains would come back to back.

- Weekend R trains will now take an extra 7 to 8 minutes to go from Bay Ridge to 71 Ave/Continental Ave, which will result in higher salary/overtime costs for the MTA.

TO MITIGATE PROBLEMS

- Keep 12 minute weekend headways, and do not revert to 20 minute weekend headways (where "every other train" drops out at Whitehall).

- Be more proactive in rerouting R trains over the D and M lines if there are delays in Manhattan.

Are they actually planning to increase the (R) 's rush hour frequency to every 6 minutes? Would that be sufficient for the (R) to be able to handle 4th Ave local commuters on its own? To me, it sounds like it would (10 tph, seems frequent enough)

That said, great to hear that we'll be getting the Montague Tunnel back ahead of schedule.

Why did they swap 'n mix anyway?

Well it has to do with the service pattern on weekends with the cars from CIY and Jamaica. Since its a continuous run on weekends over the Manhattan Bridge the cars end up all over the route by the following Monday many times when split service patters resumes. Its really up to the yard superintendents. Thats as much as I can explain and I may not even be 100% correct.

@RtrainBlues and T to Dyre Avenue

Well, the (R) has always run on a 6 minute headway (like the (B), (D), (N) and (Q)) out of Brooklyn in the morning rush and back into Brooklyn in the evening rush. One of my homelines - the (3) - also has a similar headway during rush hours (but in both ways). I thought it has always been that way...

Of course, once those lines that I've mentioned reach the bottlenecks, the usual causes of delays...

If the TA wasn't concerned about that issue they wouldn't have ran that R32 for testing... Twice.

PRO

CON

TO MITIGATE PROBLEMS

I'll just take apart one comment.....

The new work program really hasn't added much money to the Romeo on the weekends heck if any.

Where do you get this stuff from?

Well some days after the fact the MTA page still havent been updated yet! The signs are up at many locations along the R so its obvious something will happen here with the reopening of the Montague St tubes. I guess I will have to assume that the capital construction committee must be holding the official announcement up as they must truely are racing against the clock to get the infrastructure work done.

As for the vibration tests I will have to reemphasize the fact that the problem is indeed the Bay Ridge BMT, not the entire 4th Avenue line in itself. The vibrations are easily noticed at street level along Bay Ridge Avenue and 77th Street as well as 86th Street. Bay Ridge Avenue being the worst in terms of unnecessary vibrations.

As for the R160s and weight per car, after some background research, yes the R46s are heavier cars then the R46s so I will have to stand corrected on this third point. But regardless the problems are still there on the aformentioned section of the 4th Avenue BMT line. Even to business owners and straphangers alike in Bay Ridge its clear cut.

Archived