Bx7 Rush Hour Pilot Program Photos

The Real

To deal with the growing ridership on the Bx7 line during the PM rush hour along with combating abnormal headways during the rush hour due to heavy traffic, the MTA is testing a pilot program where Artics are being used between the hours of 4-7pm on the Bx7 in ONE DIRECTION trips towards Riverdale and then deadheading back.

A couple of shots from said program...

NYCB_NFI_4742b.jpg

NYCB_Nova_1253b.jpg

Good stuff, but I thought people don't use the local bus in the Great Independent City of Riverdale! :D

I don't know where you got that nonsense from, but I've been a Riverdale resident now going on 3 years and with each passing year the buses up here are more and more packed including the Express buses.

I don't know where you got that nonsense from, but I've been a Riverdale resident now going on 3 years and with each passing year the buses up here are more and more packed including the Express buses.

Well tell that to your neighbor rexpress bus rider, who doesnt pay attention to the local, :P.

Good stuff, but I thought people don't use the local bus in the Great Independent City of Riverdale! :D

Most of the people using the local buses are people working in Riverdale (a lot of nurses and nannies in particular), college students, or people going to Westchester. Of course some people use the local buses that live in Riverdale, but at the stops that I use, there are more express bus riders and Metro-North riders than local bus riders, so I am speaking for the area of Riverdale that I live in.  Down in Spuyten Duyvil you have a lot of people that use the local bus too.

At my Metro-North stop, there are usually just Metro-North riders and no local bus stop folks.

Most of the people using the local buses are people working in Riverdale (a lot of nurses and nannies in particular), college students, or people going to Westchester. Of course some people use the local buses that live in Riverdale, but at the stops that I use, there are more express bus riders and Metro-North riders than local bus riders, so I am speaking for the area of Riverdale that I live in.  Down in Spuyten Duyvil you have a lot of people that use the local bus too.

At my Metro-North stop, there are usually just Metro-North riders and no local bus stop folks.

There is a HUGE flux of Riverdale residents who come off the (1) Train who grab the Bx7 and Bx10. Both buses come into 231st and Broadway empty and get crush loaded into Riverdale up to as late as 10 at night. In the mornings, Bx7 come down crush loaded and dump to the (A) while the Bx10 comes down crush loaded and dumps to the (1) train. Not all Riverdale residents stay snooty to the Express bus and Metro North. I live on the south end of Riverdale so I see this all day, everyday. After riding these special Bx7 buses yesterday, the loads didn't start easing up until after the 246th Street stop along the Henry Hudson.

And the ridership has done nothing but grow since becoming a Riverdale resident some 2+ years ago.

There is a HUGE flux of Riverdale residents who come off the (1) Train who grab the Bx7 and Bx10. Both buses come into 231st and Broadway empty and get crush loaded into Riverdale up to as late as 10 at night. In the mornings, Bx7 come down crush loaded and dump to the (A) while the Bx10 comes down crush loaded and dumps to the (1) train. Not all Riverdale residents stay snooty to the Express bus and Metro North. I live on the south end of Riverdale so I see this all day, everyday. After riding these special Bx7 buses yesterday, the loads didn't start easing up until after the 246th Street stop along the Henry Hudson.

And the ridership has done nothing but grow since becoming a Riverdale resident some 2+ years ago.

I live in Central Riverdale, so yes some Riverdalians use the local buses.  In any event, I did say that the people in Spuyten Duyvil/South Riverdale use the local buses more than in my part of Riverdale.  Henry Hudson Parkway West and West 246th, 239th, 236th and 232nd have large numbers of express bus and Metro-North riders.  Riverdale Av and West 236th has its fair share of local bus riders, but then again that stop (southbound) is only a part-time stop for Metro-North and the express buses.  As I said before though, you also have a LARGE amount of students (both high school and college students, nannies and nurses) that use those local buses heavily.  Not all of those people are Riverdale residents.  You also have the folks from Yonkers coming down on the local buses to get to the subway.

Come to think of it, I've probably seen you along Riverdale Av at that laundromat near 236th. lol

I've been a Riverdale resident longer than you, but the one thing about Riverdale is that residents come and go.  A lot of college students and Manhattanites here so some move in and then some go, so ridership will fluctuate.  I have seen small spikes with the express bus and with Metro-North.  Local buses have been crowded too, but I'd attribute that moreso to bunching than anything.  If the local buses came on time, the crowds wouldn't be such an issue.

I live in Central Riverdale, so yes some Riverdalians use the local buses.  In any event, I did say that the people in Spuyten Duyvil/South Riverdale use the local buses more than in my part of Riverdale.  Henry Hudson Parkway and West 246th, 239th, 236th and 232nd have large numbers of express bus and Metro-North riders.  Riverdale Av and West 236th has its fair share of local bus riders, but then again that stop (southbound) is only a part-time stop for Metro-North and the express buses.  As I said before though, you also have a LARGE amount of students (both high school and college students, nannies and nurses) that use those local buses heavily.  Not all of those people are Riverdale residents.  You also have the folks from Yonkers coming down on the local buses to get to the subway.

Come to think of it, I've probably seen you along Riverdale Av at that laundromat near 236th. lol

Probably not, I've only been to that laundromat three times in the last 2+ years. I have a laundromat in my building and only go to it for special needs. The Nanny-Student crowd is usually the 7-9am and 2-4pm flux, the flux I see are the commuters and residents at 5am-6am and 4-7pm. Then you have the grannies that ride both lines heavy during the midday. Riverdale residents use all services and don't discriminate.

However the BxM1, 2 and 18's heavy riderships are AMs only going into Manhattan, the out bounds aren't nearly as packed to the doors in the PMs, in fact the northbounds, you will be lucky to carry 20-30 on a northbound, the loads are usually in the 10s and low 20s per bus and the BxM18 barely carries 15 per trip.

Probably not, I've only been to that laundromat three times in the last 2+ years. I have a laundromat in my building and only go to it for special needs. The Nanny-Student crowd is usually the 7-9am and 2-4pm flux, the flux I see are the commuters and residents at 5am-6am and 4-7pm. Then you have the grannies that ride both lines heavy during the midday. Riverdale residents use all services and don't discriminate.

However the BxM1, 2 and 18's heavy riderships are AMs only going into Manhattan, the out bounds aren't nearly as packed to the doors in the PMs, in fact the northbounds, you will be lucky to carry 20-30 on a northbound, the loads are usually in the 10s and low 20s per bus and the BxM18 barely carries 15 per trip.

I'm willing to bet that I have.   :D I have laundry in my building too, so I'm not over there often save when using the Hudson Rail Link or running errands along Riverdale Avenue. I tend to stay closer to the Henry Hudson Parkway.

Anywho, yes Riverdale residents don't discriminate, BUT some stops lean moreso towards the express bus and Metro-North than others. Express buses in the evenings and mornings fluctuate HEAVILY.  The BxM18 Northbound evening trips tend to be light during the summer months and during the holidays or periods when folks aren't working later.  Monday and Tuesday, and during periods before holidays, trips can be crowded.

The BxM1 and BxM2, evening trips can fluctuate.  I know because I use all of them at various times, practically 7 days a week unless I'm using Metro-North.  I'm not sure where you do your counts at, but the BxM2 unloads a lot down by Kappock and Knolls Crescent.  The bus can literally empty out at Kappock and Johnson and Kappock and Knolls Crescent.  Sometimes I'm the last one on the bus.  The key to any of those buses being crowded is how many folks get on in North Riverdale (North Riverdalians or people from Yonkers), but the core of the ridership is down in Spuyten Duyvil and where I'm at in Central Riverdale, which makes sense as those two areas are the most expensive parts of Riverdale aside from Fieldston proper (i.e. estate area).  After West 239th, ridership can be hit or miss.

P.S. Some Riverdalians are quite proud of how long they've lived there in Riverdale and used the express bus.  One elderly woman on the BxM1 noted that she'd been using the express bus for 13 years and was not taking the city bus. lol

Good photos.

Why not extend the Bx20 to 168 St though? I mean, it is a supplement for the Bx7.

That is not happening anytime soon.  The Bx20 already runs terribly as it is.  The ONLY reason the Bx20 runs is to provide service for people along the Henry Hudson Parkway Service Roads and down in Spuyten Duyvil who want service to the (A) train, this way they don't face a two fare zone.  The Bx7 can't cover that area due to topography issues (massive hills), otherwise the Bx20 would not be around. The Bx20 was created as a result of an old Manhattan bus route being broken up that used to run to Riverdale.

That's also why there are numerous Bx7's that short turn... Reliability issues due to traffic along Broadway, and also to serve different areas that need bus service more (i.e. Riverdale).  Washington Heights doesn't need more buses running down Broadway. Many people in Washington Heights take the subway for short trips over the local bus (i.e. 168th to 181st)... One stop versus taking the bus...

These Bx7 artics are a direct result of Riverdalians making a huge stink to local representatives to do something about local bus service, particularly service from the (1) train to Riverdale.  Given how powerful Senator Klein is, I am not surprised that the (MTA) responded.  This is also an election year, so it's in his best interest to get things done.  Now we need our express bus service improved.  I am hoping that some improvements will come next pick because we need later Super Express express bus service in the morning (i.e. BxM18), and me and numerous other Riverdalians have been actively pushing for this improvement.

http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Pols-call-for-more-buses-but-MTA-is-unmoved,54934?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=bus+service&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=&sub_type=&town_id=

To deal with the growing ridership on the Bx7 line during the PM rush hour along with combating abnormal headways during the rush hour due to heavy traffic, the MTA is testing a pilot program where Artics are being used between the hours of 4-7pm on the Bx7 in ONE DIRECTION trips towards Riverdale and then deadheading back.

A couple of shots from said program...

NYCB_NFI_4742b.jpg

NYCB_Nova_1253b.jpg

Ha, not only that, 'cause from my point of view, they're also going to add +selectbusservice on the Bx7.

Great shots... someone at that other forum five boro transit posted these there, without your permission I assume. Looks like it was taken down tho.

You seriously need to check your facts before you make an asnine comment like this. He was given full credit and his name is attached to the photos.

Archived