Coming To The Rescue For Riders Who Drop Treasures On The Tracks

realizm

post-2642-0-15245500-1410792893_thumb.jpg
The requests trickle through the bowels of the New York City subway system, funneled to workers more accustomed to calls about tunnel fires or ceiling leaks. A problem is reported at Columbus Circle one recent afternoon. A passenger could be in great distress. Delays are minimal, but movement on the tracks has perhaps never been slower. So would a crew mind collecting its helmets and hauling its mechanical claw to rescue the turtle — fumbled by a rider — currently plotting its very methodical getaway from Midtown train traffic?

Read more: Source

post-2642-0-15245500-1410792893_thumb.jpg

At night trains run every 20 mins you can get something off the tracks real quick.

Assuming a train has just left and you're on the IRT, which has signs telling you how far away the next train is, AND you're tall and strong enough to get up back onto the platform AND there are stairs at the ends of the platforms as a safety measure.

At night trains run every 20 mins you can get something off the tracks real quick.

That there is what will get you injured or killed. Yes revenue (passenger) trains run every 20 mins at night but now you forgot about the work trains, yard transfers and car washes that can come thru at anytime. Plain and simple, STAY OFF the tracks. Folks will nerver learn.

When I used to work the PM shift  and had a car wash I've already had to come to a sudden stop outside the station because some idiot sees the countdown clock says the next train is in 15 mins and decides to jump down and grab his phone. He never expected a train before them. Golden rule is a train can come on any track at any time.

Assuming a train has just left and you're on the IRT, which has signs telling you how far away the next train is, AND you're tall and strong enough to get up back onto the platform AND there are stairs at the ends of the platforms as a safety measure.

Those only tell you when the next passenger train is. It doesn't inform you about any other trains that are approaching. Those countdown clocks are not all ways accurate.

I've picked up a stylus I dropped before, took 5 seconds. Later in the evening, quiet, no trains coming, could see the way down the tracks. I'd say the users on this forum would have a better sense of when it's "safe" to do something like that.

You really can't say that....

Everybody is different. Common sense goes out the window at times.

I've picked up a stylus I dropped before, took 5 seconds. Later in the evening, quiet, no trains coming, could see the way down the tracks. I'd say the users on this forum would have a better sense of when it's "safe" to do something like that.

Just be careful the next time. Yeah no train was coming but then again if the police comes for whatever reason and finds a person on the tracks that can become a count of criminal trespassing, that may be another way of looking at it. We all know how the NYPD can be. 

I agree. I don't see the harm of doing this at Park Place on the Frankin Shuttle on the overnight hours when there's one train on the entire route and it just left the station.

I agree. I don't see the harm of doing this at Park Place on the Frankin Shuttle on the overnight hours when there's one train on the entire route and it just left the station.

The subway in NYC is anything but predictable. I've memorized patterns and formulated methods to determine where and when trains show up, and I'm always surprised when the "rules" are broken.

Question is, who in their right mind would ride the Franklin Shuttle overnight in the first place??? cheerful.gif

Archived