Source: MTA to Repair Sandy-Damaged Cranberry Tube in Early 2015

realizm

With the R and G lines back at full service, the MTA is setting its sights on the next round of repairs to subway tunnels damaged by floodwaters during Hurricane Sandy.

A source told NY1 that weekend repairs to the Cranberry Tube, which carries A and C trains between Brooklyn and Manhattan, will start in the first part of 2015.

The tube, which 230,000 commuters travel daily through, was flooded by more than a million gallons of saltwater during the storm nearly two years ago.

During the weekend outages, the A and C will run along the F line between Jay Street/Metrotech and West Fourth Street.

And once that job is done, the MTA expects to go to do weekend repairs on the 53rd Street tube that carries the E and M trains in the second half of 2015.

Read more: Source

Makes sense since the 53rd Street corridor is such a heavily traveled line on rush hours feeding into the second busiest subway line in the nation (Queens Blvd Line). On the other end into Manhattan, towards 42nd Street and 34th Street because of the PABT and Penn Station.  5th Avenue and 53rd Lex are very heavily traveled stations during rush hours as well. I guess thats why the MTA has the 53rd Street tunnel on target.

The 63rd Street line escaped the brunt of the hurricane ironically. So the MTA heads want to take advantage of that scenerio with reroutes I guess. Thats my take on it.

Good thing the (J) will go to broad 24/7 in December, it will help on the weekends for people wanting Fulton st

I would also have a special Shuttle that would run on the express tracks between 34th and Fulton st with a 20 min headway for people wanting Fulton st

I would also have a special Shuttle that would run on the express tracks between 34th and Fulton st with a 20 min headway for people wanting Fulton st

How would this so-called shuttle benefit anybody when there are already other lines that run 24/7?

Makes sense since the 53rd Street corridor is such a heavily traveled line on rush hours feeding into the second busiest subway line in the nation (Queens Blvd Line). On the other end into Manhattan, towards 42nd Street and 34th Street because of the PABT and Penn Station.  5th Avenue and 53rd Lex are very heavily traveled stations during rush hours as well. I guess thats why the MTA has the 53rd Street tunnel on target.

The 63rd Street line escaped the brunt of the hurricane ironically. So the MTA heads want to take advantage of that scenerio with reroutes I guess. Thats my take on it.

Yup! It's crazy how different the effects of Sandy were between lower Manhattan and upper Midtown.

Good thing the (J) will go to broad 24/7 in December, it will help on the weekends for people wanting Fulton st

I thought that was taking effect next year. I know the Q will start running local late nights this December, but I recall a Summer 2015 start to full-time full-length (J) service.

Agreed. The (E) is also like a sardine can with all those Penn Station/PABT commuters heading to 5th Ave-53rd and Lex Ave-53rd in the AM peak (and reverse in the PM peak).

How would this so-called shuttle benefit anybody when there are already other lines that run 24/7?

People who want Penn Station or Port Authority for example and don't want to have to schelp over to the (2) / (3) platform along Fulton (the (A) / (C) platform runs across Fulton).  This also would serve the (A) platform at Chambers.

I'd actually during this period have a special "Blue (J) " train that would replace the (C) in Manhattan from West 4th-168th Street with a shuttle between Essex and Broad on the regular (J) route.  The (C) would then be in Brooklyn only between Euclid and High Street.

That will happen in the Spring of 2015.... With other surprises....

People who want Penn Station or Port Authority for example and don't want to have to schelp over to the (2) / (3) platform along Fulton (the (A) / (C) platform runs across Fulton). This also would serve the (A) platform at Chambers.

I'd actually during this period have a special "Blue (J) " train that would replace the (C) in Manhattan from West 4th-168th Street with a shuttle between Essex and Broad on the regular (J) route. The (C) would then be in Brooklyn only between Euclid and High Street.

For the love of Christ...

People who want Penn Station or Port Authority for example and don't want to have to schelp over to the (2) / (3) platform along Fulton (the (A) / (C) platform runs across Fulton).  This also would serve the (A) platform at Chambers.

I'd actually during this period have a special "Blue (J) " train that would replace the (C) in Manhattan from West 4th-168th Street with a shuttle between Essex and Broad on the regular (J) route.  The (C) would then be in Brooklyn only between Euclid and High Street.

...Just name it (K) then...

Also, good luck with that.

Lol...A blue J

not-again.jpg

Anyway, I can see that the work will not be extensive enough for a full shutdown as the timeframe should only be six months and limited to weekend GOs. Since we have seen weekend GOs like this before most likely they will simply reroute A and C service via Rutgers and let the E take up the slack on the lower half of the 8th Avenue Line.

Archived