New York Gondola

Roadcruiser1

It's a "serious" idea and I use that word in the loosest of definitions.

http://www.eastriverskyway.com/#welcome-to-east-river-skyway

The dude is obviously looking for investors to throw money into this pie-in-the-sky idea. This is another one of those solutions looking for a problem things. While he does make a good point for alternatives to the overcrowded L train, this gondola idea suffers the same problems as every ferry proposal thrown about in the past few years, just costing a helluva lot more than any potential ferry service. Since this proposed gondola system would only skirt around the waterline around Brooklyn and a few points in Manhattan, any potential users of this system would still have to transfer to either the subway or bus to get to where they need to go.

What makes overcrowding on the L so special that the East River needs Gondolas? The proposed Gondola routes don't run anywhere near the L, the routes look like they run parallel to the G from Long Island City to Downtown Brooklyn. 

It's a "serious" idea and I use that word in the loosest of definitions.

http://www.eastriverskyway.com/#welcome-to-east-river-skyway

The dude is obviously looking for investors to throw money into this pie-in-the-sky idea. This is another one of those solutions looking for a problem things. While he does make a good point for alternatives to the overcrowded L train, this gondola idea suffers the same problems as every ferry proposal thrown about in the past few years, just costing a helluva lot more than any potential ferry service. Since this proposed gondola system would only skirt around the waterline around Brooklyn and a few points in Manhattan, any potential users of this system would still have to transfer to either the subway or bus to get to where they need to go.

Yes even if it overrides common sense thats what these investors had in mind. I say throw them all in the caged ring in a massive battle royal with the hispters and let them duke it out, while I sit with the spectators in the stands eating my popcorn watching and laughing.

Yes even if it overrides common sense thats what these investors had in mind. I say throw them all in the caged ring in a massive battle royal with the hispters and let them duke it out, while I sit with the spectators in the stands eating my popcorn watching and laughing.

I'll bring soft pretzels and drinks on the house for railfans!

I actually think Gondola or a tram would work great in certain spots in nyc. A gondola ride to govenors island or randalls island make sense without the massive expense of building a subway. It could even allow for some development on both of those islands. Gondola to williamsburg 3 blocks from the L train stop is very short sighted and ruins the view for all of those multimillion dollar condos on the water front at n7th street.

How would one run a gondola to Governor's island in the first place?

If the span from battery park directly to Governor's island is too long, run it to red hook then to governer's island.

I was also continuing to mull it over and the gondola to n7th street is still assinine, but maybe to metropolitain and kent. Right where they are putting in that new condo where the domino's sugar factory was.  Both the J/M and L train stops are respectively a mile away. the b32 runs once every 30 minutes and is pretty slow.

If the span from battery park directly to Governor's island is too long, run it to red hook then to governer's island.

I was also continuing to mull it over and the gondola to n7th street is still assinine, but maybe to metropolitain and kent. Right where they are putting in that new condo where the domino's sugar factory was.  Both the J/M and L train stops are respectively a mile away. the b32 runs once every 30 minutes and is pretty slow.

A Harbor-spanning gondola would never be allowed simply due to the height restrictions it would impose. We do have boats that dock north of the Brooklyn Bridge...

A gondola from Red Hook would not be particularly useful, and in any case most of the Governor's Island visitors come from areas that have to go through Manhattan to get to Governor's Island anyways.

A Harbor-spanning gondola would never be allowed simply due to the height restrictions it would impose. We do have boats that dock north of the Brooklyn Bridge...

A gondola from Red Hook would not be particularly useful, and in any case most of the Governor's Island visitors come from areas that have to go through Manhattan to get to Governor's Island anyways.

If a tram can clear the east river and allow ships to pass under, then why would it be any different for a gondola? I don't see a height restrictions on ship traffic a problem for a cable based system.

I should clarify i meant from Battery park to Red hook to Governor's island. Red hook is prime for massive development if transportaion was improved. Taking the b61 to downtown then transfering is not quick at all.

The span from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island is a lot shorter than the span from Manhattan to Governors Island. You would need towers midway in the middle of the bay, and that's a no-no with boats there as bob said, PLUS the helipad that's right next to the Governors Island ferry.

The Roosevelt Island Tram is pretty much at level with the Queensboro Bridge

The span from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island is a lot shorter than the span from Manhattan to Governors Island. You would need towers midway in the middle of the bay, and that's a no-no with boats there as bob said, PLUS the helipad that's right next to the Governors Island ferry.

The Roosevelt Island Tram is pretty much at level with the Queensboro Bridge

Bob reffered to height restrictions and boats not being able to pass under, which is false. The helipad is a completely separate issue and is no different than having heliports near any crossing. Move the gondola to where it's supposed to leave from the south street eaport the route it via brooklyn or the western side of battery park. Building techinques have come a long way since 1976. Remember people said that a bridge as large and as long as the brooklyn bridge could never get built. It may take engineering prowess, but it could be done.

Bob reffered to height restrictions and boats not being able to pass under, which is false. The helipad is a completely separate issue and is no different than having heliports near any crossing. Move the gondola to where it's supposed to leave from the south street eaport the route it via brooklyn or the western side of battery park. Building techinques have come a long way since 1976. Remember people said that a bridge as large and as long as the brooklyn bridge could never get built. It may take engineering prowess, but it could be done.

The Queensboro and Roosevelt Island tram bridge are well upstream of any East River terminal for big ships. We do actually have ships docking north of the Brooklyn Bridge at the Navy Yard occasionally, though, so the 130 ft clearance is necessary if we want ships to still dock there. In fact, the Queen Mary 2, which was at one point the largest cruise ship in the world, was built specifically to clear the Brooklyn Bridge.

There's also a question of where exactly you would put a gondola terminal; the Roosevelt Island tram has fairly large terminals, and it only ascends across two or three avenue blocks in the wide Queensboro right-of-way. There isn't exactly a similar location within Downtown Manhattan for such a large structure. (In Brooklyn, I guess you could do it over the BQE and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel ROW, but then the question becomes "are people actually going to use it enough".

It could get some uses from tourists I will give em that

Tourists & yuppies are who I think the target demographics are.....

Anyway, I read about this BS about having gondola lift's in amNY, and man did I have quite the laugh on the railroad this past thursday..... The one that really got me was the Navy Yard - (Jewish) Williamsburg line :lol:.... There's also a proposal to have one going from the LES to Williamsburg - uhh, I can see all sort of "activity" going down on that line, if it were to be active 24/7.... But basically, the whole god damn plan reeks of stupidity to me..... Former mayor moneybags (Bloomberg) would've be proud though, as it would have fit right in w/ this plan to (what I call) "Europeanizing" NYC......

Instead of digging in my bag for that 'paper, I did a quick search & found this graphic of all the proposed lines:

>> See Here <<

Tourists & yuppies are who I think the target demographics are.....

Anyway, I read about this BS about having gondola lift's in amNY, and man did I have quite the laugh on the railroad this past thursday..... The one that really got me was the Navy Yard - (Jewish) Williamsburg line :lol:.... There's also a proposal to have one going from the LES to Williamsburg - uhh, I can see all sort of "activity" going down on that line, if it were to be able ctive 24/7.... But basically, the whole god damn plan reeks of stupidity to me..... Former mayor moneybags (Bloomberg) would've be proud though, as it would have fit right in w/ this plan to (what I call) "Europeanizing" NYC

The view would be quite spectacular you have to admit, and if tourists will spend enough money on gondola for MTA to profit off of I say go for it.

The Queensboro and Roosevelt Island tram bridge are well upstream of any East River terminal for big ships. We do actually have ships docking north of the Brooklyn Bridge at the Navy Yard occasionally, though, so the 130 ft clearance is necessary if we want ships to still dock there. In fact, the Queen Mary 2, which was at one point the largest cruise ship in the world, was built specifically to clear the Brooklyn Bridge.

There's also a question of where exactly you would put a gondola terminal; the Roosevelt Island tram has fairly large terminals, and it only ascends across two or three avenue blocks in the wide Queensboro right-of-way. There isn't exactly a similar location within Downtown Manhattan for such a large structure. (In Brooklyn, I guess you could do it over the BQE and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel ROW, but then the question becomes "are people actually going to use it enough".

I agree with you on are people going to use it. In the case of red hook, it would be well used. People are sick of riding the b61 that never comes on time and is sooo packed that they have to wait for another bus then transfer to the subway to get to manhattan. A lot people just drive to manhattan via the Brooklyn Battery Park tunnel. I almost bought a house in red hook, but I can't take the commute. If you have an off hours job, forget getting home in less than 2 hours from anywhere north of 14th street. If they build it at metro ave and kent with that massive complex going up, that's a good mile from any train station so it would get used. at n7th street it's 3 blocks from the L so I can't see it than being more than a tourist draw.

The height of the span is exactly the same for the 59th street bridge as the brooklyn bridge which is 130ft, and that tram rides higher than the lower roadway.

Also as a reference, there was a heliport at E60th street right next to the 59th street bridge until 1997. It was closed not due to safety concerns, but do to noise complains by its rich neighbors. That would make that heliport directly next to the roosevelt island tram.

I agree with you on are people going to use it. In the case of red hook, it would be well used. People are sick of riding the b61 that never comes on time and is sooo packed that they have to wait for another bus then transfer to the subway to get to manhattan. A lot people just drive to manhattan via the Brooklyn Battery Park tunnel. I almost bought a house in red hook, but I can't take the commute. If you have an off hours job, forget getting home in less than 2 hours from anywhere north of 14th street. If they build it at metro ave and kent with that massive complex going up, that's a good mile from any train station so it would get used. at n7th street it's 3 blocks from the L so I can't see it than being more than a tourist draw.

The height of the span is exactly the same for the 59th street bridge as the brooklyn bridge which is 130ft, and that tram rides higher than the lower roadway.

Also as a reference, there was a heliport at E60th street right next to the 59th street bridge until 1997. It was closed not due to safety concerns, but do to noise complains by its rich neighbors. That would make that heliport directly next to the roosevelt island tram.

The Roosevelt Island tram also rises to its height over a course of two blocks, on a right of way dominated by a bridge approach. There is no similarly long, wide ROW downtown, so building a gondola may not even be possible due to the likelihood of insufficient air rights for a tram structure.

I think the concept of placing trams in certain tourist-y spots is a pretty good idea. Tourists love the view from the Roosevelt Island Tram, and trams are very environmentally friendly from what I've read. I can't think of any good locations off the top of my head, but there must be a few. 

Archived